Error encountered in: C:\HostingSpaces\weblevel\forums.barrelhorseworld.com\wwwroot\forum\templates\original\fragments\template-begin.asp
Microsoft VBScript compilation error - Expected statement
does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping so hard
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-13 8:48 PM
Subject: does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping so hard

i need some help with faster runs on my horse but i want him to trust me without whipping so much so any hints.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
RodeoRider97
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2014-03-13 9:30 PM
Subject: RE: does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping so hard

Veteran

I run a SUPER lazy push style mare and I've found if I keep her up in a stall for 2 days before the rodeo she seems to run faster. That and I have to watch the way Sherry Cervi rides how she pushes Stingray in between the barrels. That REALLY works. watch some of her NFR runs their really good and she's really consistent
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
sorrel horse ranch
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2014-03-14 12:12 AM
Subject: RE: does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping so hard

Military family

Angel in a Sorrel Coat

I'm sure this will sound crazy to you.  Did you see the movie Seabiscuit?
If so do you remember how they would take him to the track at night and ring the fireman's bell and then really push him off his standstill position.
Well I would get him to some place where he could move out a ways...cluck at him/or smooch to him whichever you please and then get after him to take off and run.  Maybe you will have to use a bat at the beginning to help him to understand to take off from the smooch.  I bet it won't take long that you can smooch at him and he will get faster.  And you won't have to use a bat anymore. 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
MO gal
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2014-03-14 6:51 AM

I'm sorry, but your title really bothers me. "does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping so hard"--the 'whipping so hard' part. If you have to whip a horse hard to get it to run, then the horse either cannot run any faster or there are reasons it won't/can't run faster. I would suggest you might have a different issue than just a lazy horse.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Timber Creek
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-03-14 8:24 AM

Expert

sorrel horse ranch - 2014-03-14 12:12 AM I'm sure this will sound crazy to you.  Did you see the movie Seabiscuit?

If so do you remember how they would take him to the track at night and ring the fireman's bell and then really push him off his standstill position.

Well I would get him to some place where he could move out a ways...cluck at him/or smooch to him whichever you please and then get after him to take off and run.  Maybe you will have to use a bat at the beginning to help him to understand to take off from the smooch.  I bet it won't take long that you can smooch at him and he will get faster.  And you won't have to use a bat anymore. 

Ditto!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Timber Creek
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-03-14 8:26 AM

Expert

sorrel horse ranch - 2014-03-14 12:12 AM I'm sure this will sound crazy to you.  Did you see the movie Seabiscuit?

Ditto!
Oops.  Not sure how I did this and not sure how to get rid of it.

Edited by Timber Creek 2014-03-14 8:32 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
NJJ
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2014-03-14 8:35 AM

Military family

Fact Checker

MO gal - 2014-03-14 6:51 AM I'm sorry, but your title really bothers me. "does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping so hard"--the 'whipping so hard' part. If you have to whip a horse hard to get it to run, then the horse either cannot run any faster or there are reasons it won't/can't run faster. I would suggest you might have a different issue than just a lazy horse.

I have to agree.....makes you want to reach through the screen and rip the bat out of a person's hands! My advice would be like others.....take him to a track or large safe field and "breeze" him without whipping.  If he won't reach out and pick up speed, you should have him vet checked.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Nateracer
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2014-03-14 8:42 AM

Miss Laundry Misshap

I don't understand the trust thing.  What do you mean he doesn't trust you?  Are you beating him so he freaks out?  I wouldn't run for you either if I was scared of you and if I did, I wouldn't stop!

Maybe you need to go back and have some horsemanship lessons and some training lessons so that you can understand your horse and he understands what you are trying to accomplish.   
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Bibliafarm
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2014-03-14 9:01 AM

Military family

Warmblood with Wings

some horses SHUT DOWN if you  whip them and also.. if you overuse it.  gthat goes for kicking as well....... know your limit and your horse..It bothers me to see horses that are giving there all and yet rider is whipping him still.I only see the pros maybe popping  once or twice to reenforce and that is all if at all.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2014-03-14 3:52 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

When I'm running I do alot of smooching, no whips  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BarrelRacing4Christ
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2014-03-16 8:00 PM

Military family

Ms. Marine

sorrel horse ranch - 2014-03-14 12:12 AM

I'm sure this will sound crazy to you.  Did you see the movie Seabiscuit?

Ditto to this.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
brlbarrels
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2014-03-16 8:07 PM

i had a horse that would run harder THROUGH the poles than he would running HOME. every time i would take him through the poles i would go faster on the way home. say i walked through, i would trot home, i would trot through, then loap home. it worked wonders for him.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Honeymoney
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2014-03-16 9:35 PM

Fire Ant Peddler

Make sure that your horse is in shape and really feels like running. Lots of loping in circles. Get the horse aired up so that they are not really out of breathe at the end of a run. This is what they do with race horses. Go out in the pasture and smooch the horse into running fast. It is pretty hard to get a horse to actually run if they are out of shape. Even my free runner does not really run if I have not been riding her. Wet saddle pads.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
squeek
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2014-03-16 9:47 PM

Toy Story Fanatic

Bibliafarm - 2014-03-14 7:01 AM some horses SHUT DOWN if you  whip them and also.. if you overuse it.  gthat goes for kicking as well....... know your limit and your horse..It bothers me to see horses that are giving there all and yet rider is whipping him still.I only see the pros maybe popping  once or twice to reenforce and that is all if at all.
Agreed!!!  I had a mare that if you popped her even once with a bat then she would slow to a pleasure horse lope.  Smooch, cluck, squeeze and get up off your pockets with a loose rein and she would run her heart out.

As Biblia said, I absolutely hate seeing someone kicking the heck out of their horse/add spurs and REALLY!!!  Would you be able to run if someone was jabbing your ribs at every stride?  NO!

Edited by squeek 2014-03-16 9:50 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
KayleeAllDay
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-19 11:01 PM

What I do with my push style horse to make him run faster is i make sure i get him in good shape. And i take him out to a track about once a month and i run him and smooch at him and kick a little bit but not hard. And the way i get him into shape is i do A LOT of long trotting. To build up his muscle. But taking him to a track has helped him tremendously.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Timber Creek
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-03-20 8:27 AM

Expert

brlbarrels - 2014-03-16 8:07 PM i had a horse that would run harder THROUGH the poles than he would running HOME. every time i would take him through the poles i would go faster on the way home. say i walked through, i would trot home, i would trot through, then loap home. it worked wonders for him.

I like this idea!! 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
angelica
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2014-03-20 9:12 AM

I Really Love Jeans

I rode a GREAT mare for 12 years all I could do was smooch and push with my legs slightly. If you touched her with a whip she would break into a running buck everytime! Hard enough to dump anyone! I have seen other horses that will slow down if you whip them. Like the other post said just practie smooching and asking for a burst of speed. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-24 12:38 PM

i dont whip my horse hard to make him go im sorry i meant to say does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping i only tap my horse to go,sorryyyyy and i do horsemanship ive trained my own horse its just hes very stubborn and im tryin my best to make him happy i agree with you guys that whipping is harsh and makes distrust between your relationship that why im asking this question and he trust me thats why i dont want to whip him, any horse should not be whipped hes my big baby so please try to understand what im asking.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-24 12:40 PM

i dont whip my horse hard to make him go im sorry i meant to say does anybody have hints on tryin to get your horse to go faster without whipping i only tap my horse to go,sorryyyyy and i do horsemanship ive trained my own horse its just hes very stubborn and im tryin my best to make him happy i agree with you guys that whipping is harsh and makes distrust between your relationship that why im asking this question and he trust me thats why i dont want to whip him, any horse should not be whipped hes my big baby so please try to understand what im asking.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-24 12:42 PM

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-24 1:36 PM

im sorry i did not mean that i only tap my horse and id like to not have to
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
TessBelle
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-24 11:20 PM

Expert

He has to learn to run and learn regardless of what he thinks, his legs will go faster. So Race him. Get someone on a faster or at least fast horse(pasture buddies work best) and go somewhere and let them race. When the other horse gets ahead and he realizes he's being left behind he won't like it at all and will go faster to catch up. You may have to do it a few times but I promise it will work. A friend told me this a while back and so far it's worked like a charm on every horse I've done it on.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BRLRCR1
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2014-03-25 8:54 AM

Expert

Sometimes whipping does not help.  I just sold a 1D mare and NEVER had to whip her...........New owner has whipped her and times are slower???  IDK what gives?  No suggestions, not one much for whipping/tapping.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2014-03-25 10:11 AM

A Somebody to Everybody

Get rid of the whip and smooch and kick if you have too, I have seen whipping a horse will slow it down. Do you wear spurs?
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-25 12:27 PM

no i do not use spurs on my horse because i think thats worse than whips i cant stand kicking my horse in the ribs like that.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2014-03-25 12:56 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

annsmistygal - 2014-03-25 12:27 PM no i do not use spurs on my horse because i think thats worse than whips i cant stand kicking my horse in the ribs like that.

Thats good to hear.  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-26 9:31 PM

no I'm sorry I should've been paying attention to what I was putting on the screen but I meant without losing his trust and we do trust each other he won't let anyone else ride him but me every time someone else trys to ride him he moves away from them but with me perfectly fine and I meant to say without whipping so much cause I want to get to where I can cluck at him and he'll do a fast run but he won't and I wanted to know how to get him to run without tapping him and actually I don't whip I tap and I don't use spurs.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-26 9:32 PM

no I'm sorry I should've been paying attention to what I was putting on the screen but I meant without losing his trust and we do trust each other he won't let anyone else ride him but me every time someone else trys to ride him he moves away from them but with me perfectly fine and I meant to say without whipping so much cause I want to get to where I can cluck at him and he'll do a fast run but he won't and I wanted to know how to get him to run without tapping him and actually I don't whip I tap and I don't use spurs.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-03-26 9:57 PM

Nateracer - 2014-03-14 8:42 AM

I don't understand the trust thing.  What do you mean he doesn't trust you?  Are you beating him so he freaks out?  I wouldn't run for you either if I was scared of you and if I did, I wouldn't stop!

Maybe you need to go back and have some horsemanship lessons and some training lessons so that you can understand your horse and he understands what you are trying to accomplish.   

I'm sorry I shoudve payed attention to what I was typing on the screen I meant does anybody have hints on trying to get your horse to go faster without whipping so much and me and my horse do trust each other he won't let anyone else on him but me and only comes to me when I call him I was the one that raised him I know him like the back of my hand he's very stubborn though and I'd like to be able to cluck at him without tapping him and make a fast run that's why I asked this question it came out wrong though and I don't whip I tap and I definitely don't use spurs I think that's worse than whips and I do understand my horse I raised him as a foal he only followes me I don't even have to use a lead rope and trained him myself but I baby him and I love him and I do horsemanship I have trained ranching horses before he's my first barrel horse to train so I needed some hints.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
vjls
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2015-05-17 7:50 PM

Miracle in the Making

push them into the bit everyone is different 

i had 2 that you drove them up in bit the rand harder throw the reins away they backed off 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BandWranch
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2015-05-17 9:51 PM

Butter my Biscuits

Very seldom do I ever see a whip make one go faster other than the very beginning.   Once they've been smacked enough,  they just think its another thing we do to them like saddling,  etc.   They just have to put up with it.    I've found if you want one faster,  feed is your best friend.   You dont put regular gas in a race car and you dont just feed a performance horse like a trail horse.   When he's feeling froggy and wanting to run,  just remember this is what you asked for!!    
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2015-05-17 10:09 PM

Take a Picture

I have two that I don't use spurs or a whip on. Just ask them to go and they do. One I do use spurs on but he moves out when you ask him. When I send one to get broke I tell the guy to ride with spurs then they are used to them. Bumper spurs don't do much. They are a good choice.

Get rid of the whip.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
imturnin3
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2015-05-18 10:27 AM

Extreme Veteran

Breeze him and get his used to you kissing to him means go faster.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
horses_are_beautiful
Reg. Mar 2015
Posted 2015-05-20 8:28 PM

Please no one judge my EQ. But, when I first started barrel racing on my pony Vivvy, I use to kick and kick and kick. Really hard. But then I realized in my videos that when I was just squeezing and mooching rather than kicking really hard, she went twice as fast. I asume that it irretated her and made her go even slower. It may be the same case with your horse, but they all have different likes and dislikes and different personalities. I don't know your horse so I couldn't tell you for sure. The black Quarter Horse mare that I now have started off with slower runs. But when I watched my videos, I realized that I never ever kicked hardly. Like some patterns I wouldn't kick her at all. So then I tried kicking one day while practicing at home. I knew she had scary speed because I would race my sister and gallop in the field. So I tried kicking. It worked! She ran that pattern like she ran in the field. Except she knocked the last barrel so I'm holding up in the speed while I'm getting her back in shape and worked back into the "barrel racing season." BUT to first start out barrel racing (if you are just starting) then I'd (in my opinion) wouldn't worry about speed until I knew my horse knew the pattern and had clean no knock runs.  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Tdove
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-10-30 7:12 AM

Elite Veteran

Yep you can kick a horse too hard or whip too much. Ultimately overuse of both is desensitizing. Build confidence and let the speed come by riding aggressive and asking with the body.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
shilohorse
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2015-10-30 9:45 AM

Extreme Veteran

animal element makes a product called product x- I love the stuff it doesn't make them hot or hard to handle but it wll def put a spring in their step and when asked to run they do run harder on it - I too don't like whipping and sprurring - I believe horses try to please us as much as they can , so they whipping and spurring is out for me and my horse runs consistently in the 1d - the animal element products are great mine is on animal element detox daily and product x most of the time unless he's getting time off
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
MS2011
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2015-10-30 10:20 AM

Own It and Move On

Body language is super important.  I try to be very conscious of mine....my horses collect when I sit and move forward when I shift my seat to go.  Breezing them can help, just make sure your body is in a forward position when you ask them to move out.  Kiss at them first, if they don't grab some gears, pop them once.  They will figure this out very quickly - a lot of horses will never need popped with a whip.  Encouraging them forward with your body position is enough. 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ccarpe18
Reg. Jun 2014
Posted 2015-10-30 11:22 AM

Extreme Veteran

Hmmm I would try to find out what makes him run. I don't mean whip or spurs or whatever. With my mare, she LOVED to race other horses. No matter how much of a head start I gave my friends, she did NOT want to be in the back of the pack. Another thing, she was always the "alpha" of the pasture. If new horses came in, she would run them until they couldn't run anymore (which actually got ugly one time). 

What I mean is, find their motivation. Breeze him on a track, or find a trail you can just haul ass on. Lol. Have fun with it. The less work it feels like for you, the less it will feel like work for them too. 

If you can find what motivates your horse, then start putting a que to it. 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
IowaCanChaser
Reg. Dec 2014
Posted 2015-10-30 12:23 PM

Elite Veteran

If you overuse a whip it will not make a difference, you want your horses to be light and sensitive. If you whip the cr@p out of them, or use it for every run your horse will get dull to it. I keep my little quirt on my wrist, and if he knows it's there he will run harder, when I do use it, I gently tap his hip with it 1/2 way home so he won't shut down. If you are whipping and kicking him hard, it makes running barrels not fun, and you'll have worse problems. IMO some people shouldn't be allowed to own a whip!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
quickdraw
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2015-10-30 12:53 PM

Boot Detective

Some horses just won't run though they can. I have one now that slows down if you use a whip or spurs. I have breezed her and tried everything mentioned on here. She has ran top 1D outdoors but indoors she just won't "fire". I'm convinced it is a confidence thing. This mare is very timid in nature. She has been vetted from one end to the other several times including xrays so I know it is not a soundness issue.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
soonergirl98
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2015-10-30 6:07 PM

Expert

Animal Element Product X is a great supplement that gives them energy and helps them recover faster. It's all natural and no fillers. I take it myselfand have energy all day long but no jitters like I would from an energy drink.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
QH<3er
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2015-11-25 4:32 PM

Elite Veteran

On my mare I get my energy level up, and I smooch just about the whole run. She runs great every time. My gelding as long as I'm leaning forward and "asking" him to run he'll run. On his lazier days, I'll smooch to him..but that came with alot of the other suggestions on here. Breezing did wonders. Not all the time of course, but I'd make sure I'd be asking the same way I would in a barrel race. And as I'm entering the gate I always ask my horses if they're ready to run and get "them excited" and they seem to pick up on that!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CanCan
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2015-11-26 8:19 AM

Military family

Keeper of the King Snake

brlbarrels - 2014-03-16 8:07 PM i had a horse that would run harder THROUGH the poles than he would running HOME. every time i would take him through the poles i would go faster on the way home. say i walked through, i would trot home, i would trot through, then loap home. it worked wonders for him.

This made me think: My good horse ran harder if I let him run a set of poles a day or two before the race. He loved poles. I also would whistle before I would breeze him. That helped too.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom