Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Grade Vs. Registered
Moderators: ForumAdmin, gotothewhip, crossspur

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-09-02 5:15 PM
30 replies, 12252 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Teen Talk
Refresh
Message format

Next to Heaven
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2014-03-24 10:33 AM (#6961931 - in reply to #6912087)
Subject: RE: Grade Vs. Registered

Veteran

I just recently (in the last 2 months) purchased 2 new horses... 1, 6 year old, grade gelding, and 1, 6 year old, very well bred gelding. I did not care about papers when purchasing my grade guy because he was such a good beginners horse, but I have since done some research and contacted previous owners and such and he Sun Frost bred but it will never make a difference to me because he is so awesome with my 2 and 4 year old.
But when I was looking for me, I was looking for registered for resale value, just in case he is not a lifer at our place.
I ran 1 grade and 1 OTTB growing up, in high school purchased another grade that I ran, in college I ran 2 registered horses... Doesn't really make a difference to me but my husband always worries about resale values and registered usually brings more.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Longneck
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2014-03-24 10:41 AM (#6961941 - in reply to #6961773)

Rad Dork

dianeguinn - 2014-03-24 12:20 AM I won't own a grade horse simply because there are so many genetic diseases out there now that you won't know they have if they are grade, and unscrupulous horse traders will get rid of their papers and sell them as grade if they're a good looking, nice broke horse and then when the horse collapses or ties up after running, you won't know why. Also, I train for resale, and it's hard to get your money out of a grade horse.

This! 

With so many backyard breeders and irresponsible horse people how would you ever know that the horse wasn't inbred?  That would be my biggest fear of all. 
Frizzy Lindsay
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2014-03-24 10:44 AM (#6961944 - in reply to #6912087)

Veteran

If you love a horse, then you love it. But I am for papers, but I have many friends with grade horses. But I wouldn't hesitate to ride a grade horse. But thats just me.
dianeguinn
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-03-25 5:01 PM (#6963203 - in reply to #6912087)

Lady Di

Here is another reason I don't buy grade. Was contacted today through facebook because a new friend had looked through my photos and realized she had a grade mare that had my brand. She knew the mare was so nice that she probably had papers somewhere, and wanted to find out how she was bred. I told her the mare would probably be dead now, as I had owned her in the late '80's and she did confirm that the mare had died a couple of years ago, but they would still like to know how she was bred. They were told she was 20 when they purchased her for their daughter. The mare was foaled in 1973, which made her around 30 when these people purchased her. This is not the first time people have contacted me about a grade horse that had my brand that ended up a LOT older than it was represented to be. I've never owned a grade horse, so if it has my brand, it had papers at one time....and everytime I'm contacted about a horse I used to own, we find out that the horse is actually at least 10 years older than what they were represented. Unfortunately, unscrupulous horse traders will throw away the papers on a nice barrel horse that's around 19/20 (the mare I mentioned above was 15 when I sold her) and sell them for a 10 to 12 yr old to unsuspecting buyers. Each time they're sold, they take a few years off. There's no way of knowing by their teeth how old they are after they are 12 or so....and the traders know it. No way will I buy a grade horse. I want to know who's owned the horse, how old it truly is, and what kind of genetics are behind it. JMO

Edited by dianeguinn 2014-03-25 5:02 PM
SorrelSister
Reg. Jul 2013
Posted 2014-06-16 1:31 PM (#7010288 - in reply to #6912087)

boon

I like having papers. I like having excellent breeding to ensure that I have at least a decent chance of training this horse to be competitive, based on it's family history. In fact, if i'm going to pour all my time and money into a prospect to possibly re-sell, I HAVE TO have papers and at least decent breeding. Period. I like to know how it's bred, I like to know the exact age, I like to know who bred it, who has previously owned it etc. It also makes the horse more valuable, especially if it's a fertile mare that could eventually be bred. HOWEVER- If i'm buying a finished horse to keep for myself, and it is a proven winner, I don't care about breeding. It can be WP bred for all care, as long as it's running at the level I want. I do need papers though, it's like a form of insurance to me to prove that I really am buying what I think I am buying. But I do like people coming in and kicking butt on their grade horses! So fun and inspiring to watch
billjames
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-03 8:34 PM (#7074448 - in reply to #6961931)

I realize we Ugg Boots Sale Uk live Ugg Boots Cheap in America and enjoy great freedoms. And though I don like excessive government intrusion into our personal lives, sometimes I wish Thomas Jefferson and his pals would gone a little further in their intro to the Declaration of Independence. Ugg Boots On Sale Too bad, charting Kids Ugg Boots a more rested and vigorous path for the country, they didn list our inalienable rights as liberty and the pursuit of happiness and naps.
Izzy+coy
Reg. Mar 2015
Posted 2015-09-02 8:39 AM (#7194544 - in reply to #6912333)

Regular

CanCan - 2014-01-08 6:28 PM

Heck. It's hard to sell one with royal bloodlines. 

Isn't this the truth!!! Lol
Izzy+coy
Reg. Mar 2015
Posted 2015-09-02 8:41 AM (#7194545 - in reply to #6912087)

Regular

Honestly , it all just depends on the horse. The horses attitude and heart. I have a complete mut pony who will knock the sox off some registered horses. But like I said , it all depends on the horse . They all deserve. Chance to prove themselves (:
Speedy Buckeye Girl
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2015-09-02 1:30 PM (#7194682 - in reply to #6912087)

Elite Veteran

Both my barrel horses are registered.  I've had both good and bad registered ones and good and bad grade ones.  For barrel racing, I won't buy a grade.  However, for the family to ride around on trails, etc., I would consider something if it's cheap enough.  But like Diane said, if it's advertised as 16 it's probably 26 or older.  I don't think I'd pick up a grade that's not obviously younger.  But again, you never do know the genetics and health potentials so it's a risk for sure. 

I do currently have 2 grades, but both were rescues.  The gelding I've had for quite a while and he's 13 now.  The other one is a yearling.  The gelding has sooo many behavioral issues stemming from his past, but is good for hubby trail horse so he suits our needs.  The baby is a mystery at this point so I'll have to see how she turns out.  I wouldn't dismiss putting her on barrels, but I also didn't get her for resale so it's no concern one way or another whether she can run. 

SwiftSmokinLady
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2015-09-02 1:50 PM (#7194692 - in reply to #6912087)

Elite Veteran

I currently own 2 grade horses. I was able to ride both horses for at least a month before purchasing, and i will say, they are probably the two best horses Ive ever had. Hearts the size of texas and no major health issues at all. I also know that both had papers at some point, but have been lost. I have been able to track most of them back, and verify age within 2 years. And yes both are older horses. 1 is 24 years old, and the other is 17 years old. Both still run barrels and poles. The 17 year old is my rodeo horse, and she still places and wins. The other runs 2d-3d at jackpots and nbha shows and 4d at big barrel races. Not having papers doesn't bother me as long as the horse is good at its job and trustworthy.
Papers can be forged also. I know a horse that is actually 5 this year, but her papers say she is 4 years old due to issues with the breeding reports and such. But the horse still has papers....
Liz
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2015-09-02 5:15 PM (#7194769 - in reply to #6912087)

Extreme Veteran

Some of our best have been grade. Im willing to take the chance 
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'