' Viewing a thread - Another positive EHV-1 in Minnesota
  Folks on-line
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another positive EHV-1 in Minnesota
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-04-14 4:39 PM
82 replies, 8977 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CYA Ranch
Posted 2014-04-14 12:47 PM (#6976218 - in reply to #6975982)
Subject: RE: Another positive EHV-1 in Minnesota

Military family

More bootie than waist!

WYOTurn-n-Burn - 2014-04-14 10:17 AM
HotbearLVR - 2014-04-12 1:01 PM The biggest reason for concern in this whole outbreak is because vaccines do not confer immunity against the neuropathic strain of EHV-1 and the mortality rate is as high as 40%. According to the ND website, the reported cases were/are not neuropathic strains. If that's true, then vaccinating for rhino ought to be protective, and those cases were theoretically preventable.
I spoke to a vet on Saturday night and that is exactly what he said. Vaccinate your horses and take the necessary precautions when hauling. No sharing buckets and keep your horses from rubbing noses and azzes with other horses.  

This
1 likes
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shepsrus
Posted 2014-04-14 1:40 PM (#6976298 - in reply to #6970173)

In an attempt to clarify without fanning any flames...

The horses in MN, WI, IA and ND all tested positive for the non-neuropathogenic (non-neuropathic) strain of EHV. When the first positives came back, the laboratories were very clear that this was the NON-neuropathic strain that indeed, caused neurological signs and suggested that this virus was a mutated version of the virus. This alarms me, to be honest, and the fact that the three horses in ND tested positive for the same type of virus suggest a connection (at least to me). I am following this closely--I live here and have horses under quarantine.

From Stillwater Equine Veterinary Service and Anoka Equine's FB page (they have tons of updates):

"This outbreak involves the Equine Herpes Virse 1 (EHV-1) non neuropathogenic strain (this strain can cause neurologic symptoms however this strain is much less virulent than the neuropathogenic strain)."

"Understanding the testing can be confusing - distinguishing between the respiratory and the neurologic form. Because a horse tests for the non-neuropathogenic strain does NOT mean they are not neurologic. For some reason this strain is causing neurologic tendencies. Many of these horses tested are neurologic meaning off balance, falling down, unable to rise, unable to urinate normally. It is very costly to treat these horses and they have a high fatality rate.
What people need to realize is that this is a very serious disease, and is easily transmittable. Half of the horses that have tested positive are now deceased. Those that do make it but have had neurologic tendencies may never be “right” again.
We have been in close contact with some of the leading experts on this disease and they all agree there is a neurologic theme to this strain despite it’s name and suggest that we continue to treat the symptoms and manage the disease not just the virus type."

"There is no vaccine with a label claim of protection against the neurologic form of EHV-1"

Hope this helps clarify. Even the best vaccinated horses can succumb to the neurological form of the disease.
2 likes
Thecowgirlinme
Posted 2014-04-14 4:39 PM (#6976734 - in reply to #6970173)

Veteran

This just makes me nervous to travel anywhere!
0 likes
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software