Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

HELP!!!NEED OPINIONS

Jump to page :
Last activity 2014-10-20 10:05 PM
5 replies, 4780 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Teen Talk
Refresh

Vivvy
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2014-07-08 3:26 PM
Subject: HELP!!!NEED OPINIONS

Regular

Hey guys, I need your opinion on something. This is my first time training a horse to be ridden. I was wanting to start with teaching her to be tied. Then I was thinking I would then start getting her better at lunging. She knows how to be led and lunged. It's just that she isn't very good at lunging yet. So after lunging, I would introduce her to the saddle and saddle pad. Then I would lunge her with the saddle on and get her use to that. Then I would get water jugs and put a few rocks in them and tie them to the saddle and lunge her with that to get her use to scary noises. Then I would work with what kicking, squeezing, and clucking means. After that I was thinking that I would introduce her to the bridle. I would start with a soft bit, and just walk her around with the bridle on to get her used to it. Then I would work with what means to turn and stop. After that I would get her use to me being on her back ( I would just have my mom lead me around while I am on her). After that I would work with me being on her back and actually controlling her. I would start with walking and then move into trotting. After I have that down pat, I was thinking that I would teach her what mooching means and teach her to lope. Then with time I would work my way to galloping. After all of that I was planning on training her to jump. I was just wondering what you guys thought of that, and if you had any advise. Thanks :)
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BamaCanChaser
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2014-07-08 5:57 PM
Subject: RE: HELP!!!NEED OPINIONS

Expert

If this is your first time starting one I highly recommend checking out ''Stacy Westfall's Diary of Jac'' on youtube. The video series follows her from her first encounter with Jac into his ground work, starting under saddle, reining training, his first show, etc.

Really shows in depth how she starts colts. It starts with episode 1 and goes through about 40 now I believe.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Vivvy
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2014-07-20 2:55 PM

Regular

Okay thanks.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
S_W
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2014-07-20 3:33 PM

Veteran

I would encourage you to see if there are any horse trainers close to you that would be willing to let you come and watch them start a colt, and possibly even help you put the first ride on yours. My husband has been starting and training colts for years and I have been watching almost as long and I still will not attempt it myself. Every horse is different and things can go wrong very fast for anyone no matter how much experience they have.

I hope this doesn't sound like I am discouraging you from starting your own horse. I am definitely not! But I would highly recommend going to a local trainer and just watching what they do. We have a lot of horses come to our place that owners have tried starting their selves and unfortunately they have picked up a lot of bad habits from getting the wrong start. Which ends up costing them more money in the long run because it takes them longer to figure things out than a horse that was started the right way from the get go.

There are many different ways to go about starting a colt though. I know my husband only spends maybe an hour on the ground with them the first day moving their hips, etc. etc. & then saddles them up and gets on. Maybe 10% of them buck their first ride but that is because he has trained under many top trainers and knows how to read a horse very well. I agree with the above post about purchasing the Westfall video but there is nothing better than watching someone in person and being able to ask questions!

Edited by S_W 2014-07-20 3:35 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
annsmistygal
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-07-26 2:28 AM

Have you heard of clinton Anderson if not he's a famous horse trainer you can watch him on rfd TV but if you've got good internet you should watch him on YouTube and put in Clinton Anderson training a green horse trust me it helps you'll 101 training he even puts exercises that you can try :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
turnandburnn
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-20 10:05 PM

I love, love, love Clinton Anderson and highly recommend what the post above says. :) goodluck!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software