Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ranch Horse for Rodeo Queen pagent?
Moderators: ForumAdmin, gotothewhip, crossspur

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-10 5:26 PM
3 replies, 3909 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Teen Talk
Refresh
Message format

Moe and Diablo
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2014-07-10 9:05 AM (#7021464)
Subject: Ranch Horse for Rodeo Queen pagent?

Veteran

What are your opinions on this? A lot of people are told they need ranch horses for Rodeo Queen pagents. I personally don't think so, because my sister ran for rodeo queen on my now barrel horse gelding. What do you all think about this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dianea
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2014-07-10 1:47 PM (#7021644 - in reply to #7021464)
Subject: RE: Ranch Horse for Rodeo Queen pagent?

Extreme Veteran

My daughter has been a state title holder twice, so this is from my experience only. I would guess the reason someone is saying "ranch horse" is because they are expecting it to be less "hot" and better broke perhaps? Most horsemanship portions of pageants will require the contestant ride a reining pattern, mount and dismount, horsemanship interview, queen run, flag run. If the barrel horse is broke, I can see no reason why it wouldn't make a successful queen competition mount. I know several young ladies that compete in pageants on their barrel horses, with varying degrees of success. Many pageant competitions will go so far as to state they prefer the girls to use the horses they will be using during appearances at rodeos.

Again MOST OF THE ONES I HAVE BEEN AROUND adhere to AQHA rules as far as legal equipment (legal bits, required split reins, no tie downs, etc etc) - which would be different than what some barrel horses are accustomed to, as well as a no spurs rule. I have seen several barrel horses (heck several non-barrel horses) that were not "broke" enough for the girls to quietly and competently ride a reining pattern with lead changes, rollbacks, stops, and 360s, so I wonder if that's why they were told that? Flip side - I know there are several that are. I think I would ask the pageant director to clarify.
IRunOnFaith
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2014-07-10 4:43 PM (#7021832 - in reply to #7021464)

Expert

I won all My titles on a hancock bred mare. Never been off the ranch until I decided to use the only trustworthy horse I knew. She handled everything like a pro. Wouldn't count them out. They know more than you think they do. (natural lead changes, stops, backs, spins the whole nine yards.)

People spread rumors that she was a reiner or had been trained professionally and that my dad had paid thousands for her just so I could win. I only smiled when I heard them whispering because I knew she was "just a working cowhorse" that was actually given to us as a payment for an outstanding bill.

ETA: Spelling

Edited by IRunOnFaith 2014-07-10 4:44 PM
Moe and Diablo
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2014-07-10 5:26 PM (#7021855 - in reply to #7021464)

Veteran

Thanks ! I personally never saw anything wrong with using barrel horses. I am thinking about running for rodeo queen next year. But I would be running my 15 year old gelding that is all-around trained. They told my cousin that she shouldn't be using her horse because he wasn't a ranch horse. Like I said, my sister ran for Rodeo Queen on my gelding and she did perfect, but didn't win. The girl that won, came back and won the next year again. So my sister gave it up, but I was just wonderin what everyone thought about this topic. Some rodeos I heard you can bring 2 horses in for like barrels you can have a second horse and I think you could have brought in your pleasure horse( if you have one) for horsemanship. Something like that. Now the rodeo queen paegent don't have a lot of girls running anymore, because of them saying this. I don't know why they wan't the ranch horse type, but my gelding isn't "hot" like some people make the barrel horses out to be. I mean yes some horses are hot and they wanna run every chance they get. There is one horse that runs the shows I do, and all the horse do is bounce all the way through the gate. My gelding walks through, but then again my mom has him trained to. Thats what I personally think about having a ranch horse for Rodeo Queen paegents. Im not against it, but I wouldn't go out and buy a ranch horse just for a rodeo.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software