Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Neurectomy/De-nerving/Osphos

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-03-10 9:18 PM
26 replies, 3718 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

madredepeanut
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2019-03-10 11:45 AM
Subject: RE: Neurectomy/De-nerving/Osphos

Elite Veteran

Liana D - 2019-03-08 2:32 PM

The1CowgirlsEnvy - 2016-06-06 2:40 PM I have a wicked little 2D mare, 10 years old that was just off a bit, not limping or painful but something just didn't feel right. Rads show navicular. Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worse, vet says she's a 7. Career over. This is my "heart horse" and after reading some info online have seen some people had very good outcomes and even NFR horses that were de-nerved. I'm curious to hear from someone who hasn't had a good outcome from doing the procedure. I'm realize that this is a morally and ethically charged topic and I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm trying to be logical and weigh the pros and cons. From what I have been able to find, it appears that there is several type of ways to do this. If you have had it done, what procedure did you have done. What was the recovery time? Did a local vet do it or did you go to a surgeon? Has anyone tried the new Osphos? I'm trying to be rational about my options. Shes bred out the wazoo, won me a small fortune, and I want to do right by her. I was planning on running her the next 5 years and then retiring her at 15 to be a broodie. I'm just really overwhelmed and not sure what I can or should do for her.

So if she’s not lame why are we talking about nerving ?

Hoof testers will tell you more than X-rays. If she was sore across the heel and frog I it would most likely be Navicular syndrome.   I wouldn’t consider Osphos or nerving until you had a definite diagnosis. Looks like she could benefit from a good, balanced shoe job, probably a wide web shoe, like a PLR  and a coffin joint injection. Even though I’ve ridden a lot of nerves horses, I would try Osphos first if the above suggestions didn’t help, possibly an MRI before you do anything invasive. 

I agree with Liana, there are a lot of things you can try before you go straight to de-nerving. For a lot of navicular horses, de-nerving is a last resort to get a few more competitive years out of a horse after other options didn't work (like shoeing changes, injections, etc.). Radiographs can only tell you so much, and if you are willing to spend the $$ on de-nerving surgery, I would also recommend having an MRI done before the surgery to cover all bases. Even if there are radiographic changes to the navicular bone, if the horse isn't lame then I wouldn't start intervening until you actually have a lameness issue you can start treating. By injecting OsPhos or Tildren, you change the ability of the bone to remodel and it can actually make healing time longer (if the horse develops a subsequent or even completely unrelated bone injury). There are a lot of pros and cons to heavy hitting drugs like those, so I would absolutely exhaust all of your options before choosing the path to go down, and don't put the cart before the horse.

Edited by madredepeanut 2019-03-10 11:47 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-03-10 11:56 AM

A Somebody to Everybody

Since this thread is a little over 3 years old I wonder if the op got her mare de-nerved or went with Osphos, whats the outcome I'm wondering? Maybe she will come back and update.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
madredepeanut
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2019-03-10 12:16 PM

Elite Veteran

Southtxponygirl - 2019-03-10 9:56 AM

Since this thread is a little over 3 years old I wonder if the op got her mare de-nerved or went with Osphos, whats the outcome I'm wondering? Maybe she will come back and update.

Holy cow Roxie, that's hilarious! I didn't even think to look at the dates- just read it all and posted  Hopefully she educated herself and made the best decision for her and her horse, and yes! It would be awesome if she came back on here and told us how everything was going, and what steps she took!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-03-10 12:30 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

madredepeanut - 2019-03-10 12:16 PM

Holy cow Roxie, that's hilarious! I didn't even think to look at the dates- just read it all and posted  Hopefully she educated herself and made the best decision for her and her horse, and yes! It would be awesome if she came back on here and told us how everything was going, and what steps she took!

I would love to hear updates, lots of the peeps on here get such awesome advice from others that have been there done that or just have the knowledge, but then they never udate to let us know how the advice went for them, they just go POOF and they are gone... LOL...  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
madredepeanut
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2019-03-10 12:38 PM

Elite Veteran

Southtxponygirl - 2019-03-10 10:30 AM

I would love to hear updates, lots of the peeps on here get such awesome advice from others that have been there done that or just have the knowledge, but then they never udate to let us know how the advice went for them, they just go POOF and they are gone... LOL...  

I agree! Or even the names people choose on the naming posts, I would love to hear what the OPs have picked! It's always nice to get closure on things, even if it's not the outcome the OP hoped, but I can understand if some instances are too hard for them to share.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-03-10 12:50 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

madredepeanut - 2019-03-10 12:38 PM

Southtxponygirl - 2019-03-10 10:30 AM

I agree! Or even the names people choose on the naming posts, I would love to hear what the OPs have picked! It's always nice to get closure on things, even if it's not the outcome the OP hoped, but I can understand if some instances are too hard for them to share.

I knowwww, would love to hear what names they come up with after getting names that we rack our brains for lol. Even if not any thing that we came up with..But would still love to hear 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
PacificBailey
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2019-03-10 9:18 PM

Elite Veteran

Osphos did nothing for our gelding. We even gave it a couple doses like the vets reccomended. We injected the coffin joint also, still no luck. After a summer of being off we decided to do the neurectomy and we are super happy with the results. We are not back to riding yet, still on confined turn out for about 2 more weeks. Our gelding was a 4 out of 10. But I could really tell this MN winter hit him hard. The hard ground was not doing him good at all. 

Good luck in whatever you choose!! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software