Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking at possibly purchasing an older barrel horse..
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-03-21 10:26 AM
18 replies, 605 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2017-03-20 8:56 AM (#7334338)
Subject: Looking at possibly purchasing an older barrel horse..

Would like some honest opinions..found a horse that I might go try. She's 19, no maintenance needed. Runs 1d-2d. I watched a couple videos at a local rodeo of her, and one was high 15's and the other was in the low 16's. I'm very new to barrel racing, so I don't know what these times mean, or if they are good or not. She is priced under $3k and is negotiable. What do you think? I'm not thrilled about her age, but I'm not 100% scared of her age either. She would be my first barrel horse, and my 3rd horse I've owned. She hasn't been run too hard, as her owner was in high school sports, but has been hauled everywhere, and knows gymkhana games (which I like) and knows poles.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
07milch
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2017-03-20 9:15 AM (#7334345 - in reply to #7334338)
Subject: RE: Looking at possibly purchasing an older barrel horse..

Extreme Veteran

Go for it. I paid quite a bit more than that for a 19 gelding and ran him until he was 21 at which point I sold him to a gal who was just starting out in barrels. The oldies are the best to learn on. Even at 21 (when he had his first hock injections) he was still almost maintenance free. If you're worried about the age, have a vet check done and have the heart checked. The thing is, any horse can die unexpectedly, at any age. Even if you bought one that was 7.
Spark572
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2017-03-20 9:15 AM (#7334346 - in reply to #7334338)

Extreme Veteran

For the times to mean anything you'd need to know what usually wins in that arena, then see how far off she is from those. But being 19 wouldn't scare me, especially for your first barrel horse. You want one seasoned that knows its job!
emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2017-03-20 9:31 AM (#7334353 - in reply to #7334338)

Thank you for the replies! Do barrel horses get to be a certain age when they slow down significantly on their run times?
I know I'm very new to racing, but I'm young, agile, etc, and have a lot of drive, I just don't want a horse that is a poke to be honest.
I'm not sure what the times around here are, as I'm new to the sport. I spent 8 yrs actively competing in dressage..
Murphy
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2017-03-20 9:38 AM (#7334354 - in reply to #7334338)

Midget Lover

The 19 year old will teach you more than you can imagine. By the time she is slowing down, you'll be ready to move on to something else. Those oldies are worth their weight in gold. I think any new rider to barrel racing needs one that will teach them the ropes. It builds so much confidence. 
IRunOnFaith
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2017-03-20 9:49 AM (#7334358 - in reply to #7334354)

Expert

Murphy - 2017-03-20 9:38 AM  The 19 year old will teach you more than you can imagine. By the time she is slowing down, you'll be ready to move on to something else. Those oldies are worth their weight in gold. I think any new rider to barrel racing needs one that will teach them the ropes. It builds so much confidence. 

Agreed. Go for it. Learn from her.
Be sure you ask the previous owner about bits, saddle pads, barrel saddle brand and feeding schedules and what to feed. 
Be sure you ask if you can make a run on the horse and have the owner critique you on wha tto do next time. Ask about her riding style and watch how she holds her hands and how she rides the horse. Is she just sitting there and cruising or she really riding hard and pushing?
All of these things are variables and should be learned when purchasing a horse this age. To me, it takes more time to reteach the horse to match you than it does to teach yourself to ride that particular horse.

Good luck! And welcome! 

Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2017-03-20 9:52 AM (#7334359 - in reply to #7334358)

A Somebody to Everybody

IRunOnFaith - 2017-03-20 9:49 AM
Murphy - 2017-03-20 9:38 AM  The 19 year old will teach you more than you can imagine. By the time she is slowing down, you'll be ready to move on to something else. Those oldies are worth their weight in gold. I think any new rider to barrel racing needs one that will teach them the ropes. It builds so much confidence. 

Be sure you ask the previous owner about bits, saddle pads, barrel saddle brand and feeding schedules and what to feed. 

Be sure you ask if you can make a run on the horse and have the owner critique you on wha tto do next time. Ask about her riding style and watch how she holds her hands and how she rides the horse. Is she just sitting there and cruising or she really riding hard and pushing?

All of these things are variables and should be learned when purchasing a horse this age. To me, it takes more time to reteach the horse to match you than it does to teach yourself to ride that particular horse.

Good luck! And welcome! 

yep all this ^^^ Take some lessons on this horse from the owner..  
emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2017-03-20 10:21 AM (#7334378 - in reply to #7334338)

I've watched a couple videos of their runs, and it seems like she does a lot of kicking. In one of her e-mails, she told me that she pretty much runs on autopilot when she gets in the arena, you just have to push her past the second barrel. She uses and over under going home, but it looks like maybe she could use a reminder going to the second, I have no clue! She said she rides in either a smooth o ring or or a wonder bit, never has needed a tie down. The horse seems "slow" rounding the barrels, and coming out of the turn. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for..

Edited by emricmacy 2017-03-20 10:23 AM
rpreast
Reg. Nov 2015
Posted 2017-03-20 10:54 AM (#7334399 - in reply to #7334378)

Extreme Veteran

emricmacy - 2017-03-20 9:21 AM

I've watched a couple videos of their runs, and it seems like she does a lot of kicking. In one of her e-mails, she told me that she pretty much runs on autopilot when she gets in the arena, you just have to push her past the second barrel. She uses and over under going home, but it looks like maybe she could use a reminder going to the second, I have no clue! She said she rides in either a smooth o ring or or a wonder bit, never has needed a tie down. The horse seems "slow" rounding the barrels, and coming out of the turn. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for..

One thing with barrel racing, you can't expect to be the fastest right out of the gate. Agree 100% with everyone else. Take advantage of all this mare can teach you, and then you can step up to a faster horse when you've progressed enough. It also probably wouldn't hurt to find yourself a trainer and go take lessons. There's more to keeping those turns correct than meets the eye, and a good trainer will help you tremendously.
oija
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2017-03-20 10:58 AM (#7334401 - in reply to #7334378)

Expert

emricmacy - 2017-03-20 10:21 AM

Horses have to slow down in a circle to be effective. Its called centrifugal force (or maybe this one was centripetal). Anyway, the inertia pushes them out into a wider circle if they are going too fast coming in and then you end up with a sloppy turn. So long as she slows down (like she is SUPPOSED TO; we call it rate in the barrel world) before the barrel and makes a nice tight turn around the barrel, she should be golden. If she is going to fast into the turn she will end up with a really wide turn and actually end up with an overall slower time. Let me repeat, slowing down in a turn is a good idea.

ETA: It might be helpful to you to become more informed about the fundamentals of the sport like what rate means, developing a 'pocket' around the barrel, picking up/dropping the shoulder, etc. You will hear everyone hear speak with this kind of terminology, and it helps to get some grounding in it so you know how to talk about/describe what you are seeing. Barrel racing has become something of a science.

Edited by oija 2017-03-20 11:02 AM
roxieannie
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2017-03-20 11:01 AM (#7334403 - in reply to #7334338)

Dog Resuce Agent

Also, it might look slow,,,,,, you have to know how the horse clocks. I'd have one any day that is smooth and shuts the clock off. 
Does the owner know what "D" this horse would fall in if they were at that type of competition?
BamaCanChaser
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2017-03-20 11:02 AM (#7334405 - in reply to #7334338)

Expert

I would get a vet check. It is a rare for a 19yo barrel horse to require no maintenance whatsoever. That being said, maintenance does NOT scare me, not a bit. I just like to know how to keep them comfortable and performing their best.

19yo is the perfect age for a first time barrel horse. I know plenty of well cared for horses that have competed into their low-mid twenties. The price they're asking is more than reasonable if she is everything you've described.

When you try her out I wouldn't focus as much on how fast you can complete the pattern, but how easy and correctly you can complete the pattern. Does she need much help/guidance around the turns? Is she going to take of you and be forgiving while you're learning?

emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2017-03-20 11:44 AM (#7334425 - in reply to #7334338)

The owner is off to college now, but when she comes home, she rides her. She said no matter how much time off she has, she's an angel. She said she is not in consistent work at the moment, but actively competed last summer, and she just recently found a lady and her twin girls to rider her twice a week, but she said that's not more that a long trot.

She did say that she rates her in the turns. In the few videos I've seen, she has never made a wide turn, and hasn't hit a barrel. I just wonder what it's like to get a 19 yo in shape, versus an 8 yr old.
She does run in those flair nose strips.

Edited by emricmacy 2017-03-20 11:47 AM
Murphy
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2017-03-20 2:21 PM (#7334474 - in reply to #7334425)

Midget Lover

emricmacy - 2017-03-20 12:44 PM The owner is off to college now, but when she comes home, she rides her. She said no matter how much time off she has, she's an angel. She said she is not in consistent work at the moment, but actively competed last summer, and she just recently found a lady and her twin girls to rider her twice a week, but she said that's not more that a long trot. She did say that she rates her in the turns. In the few videos I've seen, she has never made a wide turn, and hasn't hit a barrel. I just wonder what it's like to get a 19 yo in shape, versus an 8 yr old. She does run in those flair nose strips.

I think her age is freaking you out when it shouldn't. Smooth is fast. I retired my mare at 21, and she was kicking @ss when I did retire her. She was in the 2D at State Fair, which was her last run. I retired her due to kissing spine, but she would have kept running had I kept up with her maintenance. Legging her up was actually easier than a younger horse because she knew the drill, it was no BS, just long trotting through the week, load her up, and get my check on the weekend :) No drama! Here was her last run she made. It looks slow, but I was a few holes out of a 2D check. She is SMOOTH SMOOTH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVHTCnhq_4
RnRJack
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2017-03-20 3:20 PM (#7334500 - in reply to #7334338)

Expert

I leaned on a 19 year old and a 17 year old both mares, both push button, 14 years later I break and train my own! A been there done that is the best option even if they do require a little maintainence, I've had 3-5 year olds that required maintainence it just depends on the horse. My biggest mistake was not purchasing the 19 year old mare I was running as she ran well into her 20s with no problem. I got cocky and bought a green broke running bred colt who humbled me very well!
SanchoVilla
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2017-03-20 3:42 PM (#7334509 - in reply to #7334358)

boon

IRunOnFaith - 2017-03-20 8:49 AM

Good luck! And welcome! 

My main man is 18 and still going strong, needs his hocks injected and that's it as far as maintenance goes.

I did as the above poster suggested and asked his previous owner all about his history and rode with him a couple of times to make sure I was riding him correctly.

Sancho was a big confidence builder for me, as I've been running barrels since I was 7 and training horses for almost that long but had a series of horse accidents that caused a lot of fear for me.

I would 100% recommend getting an older experienced horse to learn barrels on, and for the price you can't go wrong! Sancho cost much more than that but I definitely don't regret it.

ETA: My Sancho is a bad-cat! He can eat up a barrel pattern and the way he runs and moves people are shocked when they hear how old he is. Don't judge her by her age. Find someone experienced who could maybe go see the horse with you and get a vet check done.

Edited by SanchoVilla 2017-03-20 3:47 PM
Kry5ta1
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2017-03-20 9:12 PM (#7334555 - in reply to #7334338)

Three in a Bikini

The best horses I have ever purchased have been "older".
I learn something new from all of them.
rodeoveteran
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2017-03-21 9:12 AM (#7334621 - in reply to #7334338)

I Don't Brag

A couple of things here.

I know that you are young and an experienced dressage rider but don't be surprised that doing things at speed is a BIG adjustment. I have seen it more than once. An older well cared for, SANE barrel horse is golden.

Expect maintenance. Injecting a much younger barrel horse is not unusual. We expect LOT out of these horses and they deserve to be well kept to do their job.

The current owner kicking a lot may be because the horse is a "push" style horse or it may be that particular rider's riding style/habit. A push type horse would not be a bad idea for you to get used to the speed aspect of this event. If you are concentrating on saving your life, you will not be able to learn or trust the speed.

I am not young and have many years experience in barrel racing. I spent a lot of money (to me) on a coming 4 yr old mare that I thought was going to be THE horse and maybe my last real chance at achieving some life long goals. 11 years later I sold her for pennies on the dollar after getting 2 half summers competing on her due to about every illness/lameness under the sun. I had already been offered an 18 yr old mare as a back up to her (for free, mind you). I had turned this mare down twice in favor of finishing one I had. I finally broke down and picked her up. She was out of shape and there is a learning curve to any new horse/rider combo but I was placing at rodeos before the end of the summer. The next (past) two years she has taken me to our regional rodeo Association Finals (something I hadn't even come close to on the expensive mare). She is 21 this year an I am looking forward to another year if I am blessed enough to keep her sound and am able to not mess HER up by my riding her poorly. She has been a boon and a blessing to this experienced old fart..... and I would hesitate putting an inexperienced barrel racer on her , no matter their lifetime riding experience, because she is quick, snappy and will throw you over her shoulder (as she did me for the first few months) in a turn...slowing her down is not an option. You just need to stay out of her way and let her do her job.

The horse in question is nicely priced for an experienced, well cared for older horse and If you can get along with her and her running style and more importantly, you can TRUST her, I would not hesitate to snap her up. Any horse, can colic or cripple up at any time. If you can get two or three years experience on her than that is well worth the money spent.

edited to add: I would like to say that most of the time giving up total control over a horse, especially at speed, is one of the biggest hurdles someone coming from the English disciplines faces. Good luck and welcome to barrel racing!

Edited by rodeoveteran 2017-03-21 9:17 AM
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2017-03-21 10:26 AM (#7334642 - in reply to #7334338)

Take a Picture

Smartest move you will ever make
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World