Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bonnets; tell me about them.
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-04-28 9:50 AM
29 replies, 1847 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Frodo
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2017-04-20 11:00 AM (#7340893 - in reply to #7340454)
Subject: RE: Bonnets; tell me about them.

"Heck's Coming With Me"

The less miserable junk you put on a horses head the more comfortable and willing to work they are.  I feel the same way about the tape breathing strips on horses faces.  If they want it off they can't get it off and come on it's "tape."  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
astreakinchic
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2017-04-20 11:08 AM (#7340895 - in reply to #7340892)

Expert

OhMax - 2017-04-20 11:53 AM

astreakinchic - 2017-04-20 9:56 AM

Frodo - 2017-04-18 4:21 PM

Once upon a time I drove a long way to look at a barrel horse.  When the owner put a chain bonnet on him, I drove back home without even riding him.

why?

Yes some horses need more broke. Yes chain bonnets can be harsh. BUT some horses just click with certain gear on them and will work their butts off even though it is a harsher piece of gear AND they are very broke.

We have a gal around here who I think fancies herself a trainer - I honestly couldn't even tell you her name, but I've seen her run enough and sat by while she "coaches" the girls who come with her to know I wouldn't touch a horse she worked on with a 20ft pole.

They all run in chain bonnets.

It's a tool, I repeat. I struggle to believe all 6 horses you haul to a $20 jackpot need one...

I see so so many people using equipment because so and so big name uses it, but they don't have the knowledge and self awareness to know why they use it, how to use it, and when to stop using it.

A chainsaw is only an appropriate juggling apparatus if you know how to juggle - if you don't it's a dangerous disaster, start with tennis balls.

Not defending that lady at all BUT some people's hands get horses popping up in the turns and those horses will have a smoother faster run with said lady if they have that bonnet on so she thinks it works for her and her horses, which it does. Shes using a piece of equipment as a crutch not to fix her bad hands right there.

I will say their is a certain American qualifier and large Lucky Dog and BBR winner that will slap a bonnet on top for this same reason and take your money any day of the week on that horse too. Tools are tools, equipment can help you get a better/smoother run outta one when it's really needing more broke and you better hands/riding skills. At the end of the day its a horse race and it doesn't matter the formula they used to get your money...they out ran you using equipment as a crutch....think of what the horse could do if trained correctly? That is always my thinking but flip side is when you start changing one that has ran that way so long they can catch a tude and quit working for you.
jewishprincess
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2017-04-20 2:07 PM (#7340958 - in reply to #7340454)

Veteran

I guess I'm a little confused what everyone means by, they are used for 'balancing'. How does it balance them? Maybe an explanation of without it my horse does xyz but with one he doesn't do xyz.
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2017-04-20 2:21 PM (#7340960 - in reply to #7340958)

Expert

jewishprincess - 2017-04-20 2:07 PM

I guess I'm a little confused what everyone means by, they are used for 'balancing'. How does it balance them? Maybe an explanation of without it my horse does xyz but with one he doesn't do xyz.

With my sister's horse, the header was a heavy handed man and when he set and turned the horse, he would do the old rollback thing by popping up and turning on his rear with his fronts off the ground. The lady who bought him to train him for barrels found that the bonnet made him keep his front feet on the ground in his turns. He was probably 10 or older when he was turned into a barrel horse and the habit was too ingrained to change. So, that is why they used a bonnet on him. It worked really well.
JcNhEmI
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2017-04-20 2:43 PM (#7340967 - in reply to #7340960)

Living within my means

GLP - 2017-04-20 1:21 PM

jewishprincess - 2017-04-20 2:07 PM

With my sister's horse, the header was a heavy handed man and when he set and turned the horse, he would do the old rollback thing by popping up and turning on his rear with his fronts off the ground. The lady who bought him to train him for barrels found that the bonnet made him keep his front feet on the ground in his turns. He was probably 10 or older when he was turned into a barrel horse and the habit was too ingrained to change. So, that is why they used a bonnet on him. It worked really well.

I took my mare to a clinic a few years ago, the clinician suggested getting a bonnet and trying it. Worked wonders on my mare, she didn't feel confined like she did in a tie down. She just needed something to brace on in the turn, or that is what it felt like to me. I bought a nylon one from Carolina bits. So not aggressive at all.
I didn't exercise her in it once she was used to it.
My guy I have now was being ran in a tie down when I bought him so I didn't change it. I prefer to run without a tie down or bonnet but if they need it to do their job I'm not scared to use one.

ETA: oops didn't mean to quote I thought I hit reply.

Edited by JcNhEmI 2017-04-20 2:45 PM
OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2017-04-21 2:00 PM (#7341203 - in reply to #7340895)

Expert

astreakinchic - 2017-04-20 11:08 AM

Once upon a time I drove a long way to look at a barrel horse.  When the owner put a chain bonnet on him, I drove back home without even riding him.

why?

Yes some horses need more broke. Yes chain bonnets can be harsh. BUT some horses just click with certain gear on them and will work their butts off even though it is a harsher piece of gear AND they are very broke.

We have a gal around here who I think fancies herself a trainer - I honestly couldn't even tell you her name, but I've seen her run enough and sat by while she "coaches" the girls who come with her to know I wouldn't touch a horse she worked on with a 20ft pole.

It's a tool, I repeat. I struggle to believe all 6 horses you haul to a $20 jackpot need one...

I see so so many people using equipment because so and so big name uses it, but they don't have the knowledge and self awareness to know why they use it, how to use it, and when to stop using it.

A chainsaw is only an appropriate juggling apparatus if you know how to juggle - if you don't it's a dangerous disaster, start with tennis balls.

Not defending that lady at all BUT some people's hands get horses popping up in the turns and those horses will have a smoother faster run with said lady if they have that bonnet on so she thinks it works for her and her horses, which it does. Shes using a piece of equipment as a crutch not to fix her bad hands right there.

I will say their is a certain American qualifier and large Lucky Dog and BBR winner that will slap a bonnet on top for this same reason and take your money any day of the week on that horse too. Tools are tools, equipment can help you get a better/smoother run outta one when it's really needing more broke and you better hands/riding skills. At the end of the day its a horse race and it doesn't matter the formula they used to get your money...they out ran you using equipment as a crutch....think of what the horse could do if trained correctly? That is always my thinking but flip side is when you start changing one that has ran that way so long they can catch a tude and quit working for you.

I would say that those people know how and when to use to tool, if you read my previous post I support that.

This instance is like watching a train wreck most times.
Ashley Lynn
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2017-04-21 8:43 PM (#7341295 - in reply to #7340895)

Elite Veteran

astreakinchic - 2017-04-20 11:08 AM

why?

Is it sad that I knew exactly who you were talking about as soon as I read that?!
jschipper
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2017-04-24 2:31 PM (#7341629 - in reply to #7340454)

Elite Veteran

I have a mare that I switched from a tie down to a leather bonnet this spring. The reason I did so is because she hides behind the tie down and gets too behind the vertical in her turns in a traditional tie down, but is a hot, high headed OTTB who gets hot and can be a handful once she gets running, and needs something for a reminder. I do not ride her in it at home/practice pen. Only for runs. She is happier in it and as crazy as it sounds, almost acts like a soother to her. She's the first horse I've ever used one with. It's not super tight and it's just enough to keep her correct in her turns. It's not something I would use on a horse that worked fine without a tie down or in a traditional nose band tie down.
MC1993
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-04-28 9:22 AM (#7342330 - in reply to #7340454)

Extreme Veteran

I just put my OTTQH in a bonnet this weekend at a clinic(as per clinician). My tie down(that was previously used) was never cranked tight but she fought it a lot. OTT horses are taught to run with their noses out so she was having a hard time with the tie down. She def needed the brace but wanted to stick her nose out farther. When we ran in it after the clinic, things were muuuuch smoother. I see a lot of OTT in bonnets and seem to work well in them as well
SloRide
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-04-28 9:50 AM (#7342332 - in reply to #7340454)

Extreme Veteran

I was told by a trainer that she uses a bonnet for only one of her horses. He has a longish back and it helps him balance without picking his head up too high in his turns. She said you should not use them for just basic riding as they can make a horse sore. She only ever uses hers when she is running a pattern and takes it off when they are done.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software