Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding when pregnant?
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-05-20 8:45 AM
28 replies, 1388 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MOGirl07
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2018-05-11 2:23 PM (#7395983 - in reply to #7395751)
Subject: RE: Riding when pregnant?

Elite Veteran

My doctor always told me that barrel racing was at my discretion til 12 weeks. That said, I never did it. It wasn't worth the risk to me, personally.

As far as riding, I rode til about 18 weeks with both kids, on my solid mare. Once my balance felt different or 'off' because of my growing belly, I called it quits.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AllAroundRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2018-05-11 4:43 PM (#7395990 - in reply to #7395751)

Queen Bee Cat Owner

You will get a thousand different opinions on this just like everything else that has to do with babies and what you should and should not do. The people that scold and judge you for riding are the same that will eat sushi and sample wine and be just fine when the kid is older and riding a dirt bike over jumps without a helmet. Point is, do what works for you and your family and don't worry too much about what Doris has to say. I rode until 6 months and really only stopped then because it was cold. I didn't get very big and still had great balance. Riding was the only time I didn't want to puke my guts out for the first 16 weeks so it was a welcome time.
majiksummer
Reg. Aug 2015
Posted 2018-05-11 5:31 PM (#7395992 - in reply to #7395751)

I miscarried after my steady, safe, sane barrel horse slipped and fell while we were working barrels at a slow lope at home. I was at 10 weeks. My doctor told me I could keep riding till I felt like I couldn't, so I did. Never again. Not worth it. I'm pregnant again now and I stopped riding the minute I got a positive pregnancy test. I'm at 29 weeks now and I don't regret letting my horses sit the rest of the summer at all. For me, it's just not worth the risk. I wish I had stopped riding before when I found out I was pregnant the first time, and I will probably always feel horrible about it. 9 months is not that long, but nothing I can do will bring that baby back.
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2018-05-11 9:07 PM (#7396003 - in reply to #7395992)

My Heart Be Happy

majiksummer - 2018-05-11 5:31 PM

I miscarried after my steady, safe, sane barrel horse slipped and fell while we were working barrels at a slow lope at home. I was at 10 weeks. My doctor told me I could keep riding till I felt like I couldn't, so I did. Never again. Not worth it. I'm pregnant again now and I stopped riding the minute I got a positive pregnancy test. I'm at 29 weeks now and I don't regret letting my horses sit the rest of the summer at all. For me, it's just not worth the risk. I wish I had stopped riding before when I found out I was pregnant the first time, and I will probably always feel horrible about it. 9 months is not that long, but nothing I can do will bring that baby back.

I'm so sorry this happened to you
turnedout
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2018-05-14 9:43 AM (#7396150 - in reply to #7395751)

Veteran

Im currently pregnant and due in 2 weeks. I haven't stepped foot in the saddle since finding out at 6 weeks. Do I miss it, absolutely! Did my doctor say I could do it until 4/5 months pregnant, yes! I completely agree with one of the previous posters. When people think of horseback riding, the first thing that probably comes to mind is the dead head on a trail. Not barrel racing, definitely be honest with your doctor when discussing your plans.

My reason for stopping was not because I thought I was going to get bucked off or kicked. My horse is extremely laid back and hasn't bucked a day in his life, but like the others said....what if? What if he tripped and I hit the horn? What if he didn't stop fast enough and hit the gate? What if he slipped in a turn? So many things that are out of our control. Is it worth losing your baby?
linds
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2018-05-14 10:48 AM (#7396159 - in reply to #7395751)

Expert

It's a personal choice, my Dr told me through the 1st trimester was okay - they are well protected during that time frame.  I ran my last race in November @ 6 weeks - our season was pretty much over at that point anyways.  Accidents happen - falls, trips, holding pen crashes, etc. on even the best broke, well behaved horses. 

Barrel Racing will still be here when you are ready to get back at it!
scwebster
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2018-05-14 2:40 PM (#7396206 - in reply to #7395751)

Expert

I quit running in August and had my baby in December. If your body is used to it you'll be ok. I was hardly showing when I stopped riding. If I had been Im sure I would have stopped sooner.  
bowersk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2018-05-17 4:24 PM (#7396556 - in reply to #7395751)

Elite Veteran

I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant and have not been riding since I got that positive test. We have been through SO much trying to get pregnant that it absolutely was a no-brainer to me to stop riding. I still lunge my riding horse a few times a week for short periods, but it's mostly for my mental well-being to be honest. I bred my 5 year old mare that I was planning on entering this summer, since she suffered a stifle injury a week before I found out I was pregnant. It really hasn't bothered me like I thought it would to stop running barrels; there's so much to do to get ready for the baby and I'm just enjoying every second of it. 9 months isn't that long and the horses (and barrel racing) will be there when I'm ready to start back. It is a personal decision that no one on here can make for you, but for me it was an easy decision to make.
blackhorse
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2018-05-20 8:45 AM (#7396740 - in reply to #7395751)

Blackbelt Babe

This may have already been said but I’ve got to get ready for church so will just give you my knowledge...
The doctor told me to do as I was doing as long as I felt comfortable and balanced. So I rode up until a month before I had my first with no problems...or so I thought... it was later explained to me why I suffer with bladder problems and incontinence... picture your bladder being held by your bodies muscles as God created.. now that they have had to carry a greater load because of your pregnancy they aren’t as tight and strong as they once were. It’s not a muscle you can strengthen with exercise like keagles or push ups if you get my drift... hope it helps you make the right choice
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software