Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Older Maiden Mare Breeding
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-05-17 9:48 PM
8 replies, 394 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aherman
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2018-05-15 2:12 PM (#7396300)
Subject: Older Maiden Mare Breeding

I am young and new to the breeding aspect of horses. I have been in the horse world for 17 years, in both hunter jumpers, AQHA Congress, barrels, rodeo, 4-H, etc etc. I am new to the breeding side of everything though and I am needing some advice.

I have a Mare who has never been bred before (that I am aware of) she is 14 and I bought her two years ago. Her only downfall is that she is club foot, which a good farrier makes manageable. Her disposition is phenomenal and the stud i picked is Merry For Corona, to make up for her conformation flaws.

I was planning on breeding her in May, and I was out of town when she came into heat ( I didn't think it would be that early) when I got back into down she was just coming out of heat. I have since figured out when I need to breed. I just moved to my new city and found a general vet and a repro vet near me. I called him to set up a pre breeding eval for her. He states I need to do a cytology, cultures, US, and a uterine biopsy. The only thing I am questioning is the biopsy as it is close to $200. I am a college student and could be broke for the month and that's fine, but I'm questioning how necessary is it? I assumed maybe if she did not take the first time, then do the biopsy?

Any other suggestions for breeding this maiden mare? Any other tips for a first time breeder as well? I have a 1000 page book I have already read and highlighted regarding nutrition, care, cycles, and birthing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hotpaints
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2018-05-15 2:37 PM (#7396303 - in reply to #7396300)
Subject: RE: Older Maiden Mare Breeding

Elite Veteran

The pre breeding vet work sounds a bit over board to me. Breeding is a crap shoot, so be willing to accept what you get in the foal. It is also like throwing money into a fire, if you do not have money to burn then don't go into the breeding business.

I would have no problem breeding a 14yo maiden mare but then I like to live cover mares and not ship semen to them as there are too many things that can and do go wrong and too many people involved...timing and proper handling of the semen combined with quality semen is a must. Breeding your mare on her next cycle will give you a May foal hopefully, if you are going to market that foal it may be foaled a little late for some buyers. Personaly, I do not care when foals are born.

luluwhit
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2018-05-15 2:39 PM (#7396304 - in reply to #7396300)

Popped

i am breeding a 16yo maiden this year.  i did a repo exam and uterine culture pre breeding (during heat cycle).  she looked clean of cysts and we opted to not do the bi-opsey, 1 because there was nothing alarming during the ultrasound to warrant one, and two the culture came back clear.  had either one warranted we would have ran a biopsy 1st because im investing a lot in a stud fee.  She has been bred and we will ultra sound check her on Wednesday to see if she is in foal.  fingers crossed we caught her the 1st time.   
aherman
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2018-05-15 2:52 PM (#7396306 - in reply to #7396303)

I am actually planning on keeping the foal for myself! My grandfather passed away and left me a lump some of money, and told me to spend it on something I would find the most joy in and on something spectacular, so I found a stud and here I am. This foal is basically my gift from him and the name will be a tribute to him as well. I just love this mare and this foal will be super special.

I think the vet was worried as she's never been bred before. I am a college student and tryin to go to med school. If I do all that he is saying I will be eating ramen for the entire summer.

The stud owner doesn't offer live coverings, and ships out on MWF. Where is stands also provides all services and US on site.
aherman
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2018-05-15 2:58 PM (#7396307 - in reply to #7396304)

This gives me hope! She is off the track and has had 4 previous owners. the owners I bought her from had her an a college rodeo horse and a cow horse. They said they never bred her but she is able to be bred. They don't know if other owners bred her or not either. I missed her last cycle but if I breed her in the next few weeks I will still have a May foal and I am not South luckily. I hope your mare is in foal!
barrelracingchick16
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-05-15 3:58 PM (#7396313 - in reply to #7396300)

It Goes On

I bred my 14 year old maiden this year and am also a veterinarian. I did not culture or biopsy prior to breeding HOWEVER.... What these tests do is help to be sure you aren't throwing money away in stud fees, vet fees etc and to give your mare her best chance at becoming pregnant.

The benefit of performing a biopsy, especially on an older mare, is to determine what kind of changes are present within the uterus. As mares age the uterus can develop some changes that will decrease their odds of getting pregnant. There is a grading system they perform on these and if your mare were to come back a high grade it would basically mean your chances of getting her in foal are not good. This would save you money in the long run.

BUT, if you are willing to gamble a little you can do without the biopsy KNOWING, if you try a few times and she doesn't get bred the next step would be performing biopsy to see if thats the reason she isn't getting pregnant.

One of the biggest issues with older maiden mares is the tightness of their cervix- this makes it more difficult to actually inseminate them and more importantly for them to clear the post breeding fluids by themselves- so that is something you will want to be sure to stay on top of. My preference is I check all mares the day after inseminate them to be sure they have ovulated- if I see fluid at that check I address it in a couple different ways depending how much fluid is present. This will be something you will want to discuss with your veterinarian.

The other thing to know is that breeding can be a crapshoot--- not all mares take on the first time inseminated so be prepared for that.
OregonBR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2018-05-15 4:38 PM (#7396321 - in reply to #7396313)

Military family

Champ

barrelracingchick16 - 2018-05-15 1:58 PM

I bred my 14 year old maiden this year and am also a veterinarian. I did not culture or biopsy prior to breeding HOWEVER.... What these tests do is help to be sure you aren't throwing money away in stud fees, vet fees etc and to give your mare her best chance at becoming pregnant.

The benefit of performing a biopsy, especially on an older mare, is to determine what kind of changes are present within the uterus. As mares age the uterus can develop some changes that will decrease their odds of getting pregnant. There is a grading system they perform on these and if your mare were to come back a high grade it would basically mean your chances of getting her in foal are not good. This would save you money in the long run.

BUT, if you are willing to gamble a little you can do without the biopsy KNOWING, if you try a few times and she doesn't get bred the next step would be performing biopsy to see if thats the reason she isn't getting pregnant.

One of the biggest issues with older maiden mares is the tightness of their cervix- this makes it more difficult to actually inseminate them and more importantly for them to clear the post breeding fluids by themselves- so that is something you will want to be sure to stay on top of. My preference is I check all mares the day after inseminate them to be sure they have ovulated- if I see fluid at that check I address it in a couple different ways depending how much fluid is present. This will be something you will want to discuss with your veterinarian.

The other thing to know is that breeding can be a crapshoot--- not all mares take on the first time inseminated so be prepared for that.

Very good information. ^^^

I just got the chance to breed a 19 year old maiden mare who was a 1D mare in her younger days. There were some hickups. She didn't come in heat when expected. So we gave her an estrumate shot. She then stayed in (breedable) longer than she was expected to be. But we live covered her until she was checked again that she had ovulated. Great news, she just pronounced in foal yesterday. We are really happy. There's a long way to go to get a baby on the ground. But we are so far very happy.
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2018-05-17 9:23 PM (#7396583 - in reply to #7396300)

You get what you give

Also an equine vet here...

It's possible when you called to make the appt they thought you wanted a full blown BSE and not a cycle check. All those things he listed are part of a Breeding Soundness Exam and like the other BB vet said, may be a bit unnecessary at this stage. I would just discuss with the vet and make sure they know she's a maiden.

Totally agree with the older maiden/cervix issue... dealing with one of those as we speak. Cultured negative but accumulating fluid.

I will say, since you brought up money and mentioned you are a college student...
Breeding isn't cheap and it's not convenient. We tell our clients to budget spending $300-600 in vet bills per heat cycle to get their mares bred.

OutlawsLastDance
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2018-05-17 9:48 PM (#7396587 - in reply to #7396300)

Extreme Veteran

I bred my 12 year old maiden this year.

In April I had a BSE done. All we did was US to look for any issues, and at that time the vet did not see anything that would suggest a biopsy or culture were necessary. He gave me a 14 day course of regumate to give her to track her cycle so we'd know when to breed her. After that course was done, on about day 18, we reultrasounded and she had a 34mm follicle on one side and a 15mm or so on the left and he expected she would ovulate the right one within a few days. This was a Wednesday, vet estimated she'd be ready to breed on Friday. I took her to the stud farm that same day (I chose live cover) They bred her Friday and Sunday. She was still in a full blown heat. The stallion owner recommended teasing her again on Tuesday to see if she was still in heat. Tuesday came, he bred her again. At that time my vet said, either she's got enough semen in there to get her bred, or there's an issue with a follicle. I picked her up and brought her to the vet. He ultrasounded her that day (Tuesday.) The right follicle had stopped progressing and was still a 30-something, but she had grown the other follicle and it was ready to rupture. He gave her a shot of HCG to trigger ovulation. We check tomorrow morning to see if she took. :D

The other thing he did have us do, due to her being maiden, and the cervix tightness the other poster mentioned, was he gave us shots of oxytocin to give her several hours after breeding to help force out the post breeding fluid that could struggle finding their way out and causing a bacterial infection.

So, so far, as far as costs go - in getting my mare bred. I have
1 - Breeding soundness exam - $280 (included the regumate and farm call)
2 - Cycling confirmation US - $118
3 - Ovulation check US - $154
4 - Then tomorrow.

I have a wonderful stallion owner who has insisted I not pay the stud fee until she's confirmed in foal.

Best of luck to you with your mare!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)