Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hard Decision To Make About Horse
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-05-16 10:09 PM
12 replies, 750 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2018-05-15 4:40 PM (#7396323)
Subject: Hard Decision To Make About Horse

Extreme Veteran

Have owned my gelding for 9 months, and have made the decision to find him a new home. This is VERY hard for me, as I love him so much and have become so attached to him. I love everything about him. I paid 5k for him and did not do a vet check (my fault!) and here I am. Have put another 5k into him since I bought him with Equi-bone, Osphos, Adequan, Chiro, endless x-rays, pastern injections, etc, and he is not going to work for what I want to do.
If I had 20 acres to turn him out on, I would keep him forever, but I don't, I board.

I had his teeth done this winter by a certified equine dentist, and is all UTD on shots. I have really done everything I can to help him.
I do not feel right putting him down, and it's not really an option. He is so happy, and besides his arthritis he is healthy! He bucks, rears and gallops around in the pasture everyday, and his pain is controlled. His weight it great, and is a pretty easy keeper.

My only other option I think is to try and "give" him away, but I have a very hard time with that, as I won't be able to make sure he is happy and healthy. I'm not looking to get money out of the sale, but if I could get $500.00 that would be nice. I think he would make a nice trail horse for someone who just wants to ride on the weekends or something. He is not a kids horse, as he has more go that whoa. He absolutely loves to be ridden.
I will be 200% honest with anyone who comes to look at him..
This is really hard, and any advice would be appreciated. Please be kind though..

(Deago 1.jpg)

(Deago 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Deago 1.jpg (50KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Deago 3.jpg (51KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
slipperyslope
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2018-05-15 6:45 PM (#7396334 - in reply to #7396323)
Subject: RE: Hard Decision To Make About Horse

Are you sure it's arthritis?
emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2018-05-15 7:00 PM (#7396337 - in reply to #7396334)

Extreme Veteran

slipperyslope - 2018-05-15 6:45 PM

Are you sure it's arthritis?

Yes, high ringbone in his right front pastern. Confirmed by 5 different vets.
Love2runbarrels
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2018-05-15 7:15 PM (#7396338 - in reply to #7396323)

Military family

Veteran

https://crshorseshoe.com/

A friend of mine is a very amazing farrier and he invented this shoe which works really well for horses with ringbone and navicular. You should contact him or have your farrier contact him and see if it might help your particular horse! They are doing case studies right now on several different horses.
emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2018-05-15 7:28 PM (#7396339 - in reply to #7396338)

Extreme Veteran

Love2runbarrels - 2018-05-15 7:15 PM

https://crshorseshoe.com/

A friend of mine is a very amazing farrier and he invented this shoe which works really well for horses with ringbone and navicular. You should contact him or have your farrier contact him and see if it might help your particular horse! They are doing case studies right now on several different horses.

Thank you! He is getting shod on the 22nd so will send my farrier the link.
Barnmom
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2018-05-15 7:40 PM (#7396340 - in reply to #7396323)

Hog Tie My Mojo

Have you tried the PLR shoes?   
emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2018-05-15 7:42 PM (#7396341 - in reply to #7396340)

Extreme Veteran

Barnmom - 2018-05-15 7:40 PM

Have you tried the PLR shoes?   

No I have not tried them.
horsegirl
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2018-05-16 6:37 AM (#7396357 - in reply to #7396334)

The One

I think you're making the right decision at this point. Hugs. I will say, though, that it takes 5-6 weeks before you can tell if Osphos is working, and it maxes at 3 months. People are going to suggest you try a million more things. I think you have been overly thorough and you deserve to find a low maintenance horse you can actually use and enjoy without worry.

Edited by horsegirl 2018-05-16 6:40 AM
IRunOnFaith
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2018-05-16 10:25 AM (#7396388 - in reply to #7396357)

Expert

horsegirl - 2018-05-16 6:37 AM I think you're making the right decision at this point. Hugs. I will say, though, that it takes 5-6 weeks before you can tell if Osphos is working, and it maxes at 3 months. People are going to suggest you try a million more things. I think you have been overly thorough and you deserve to find a low maintenance horse you can actually use and enjoy without worry.

100% Agree with this. 
people are going to suggest so many things because they know how attached we all get and they want to make sure you didn't miss anything. 
But I think at this point, it's time to say goodbye and get you something that will work for you. We have all followed this horse's journey and we are sad to see him go but I know I'm excited to see what you get next and see what you make of it. Hugs to you our friend! 

emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2018-05-16 1:09 PM (#7396405 - in reply to #7396388)

Extreme Veteran

IRunOnFaith - 2018-05-16 10:25 AM

horsegirl - 2018-05-16 6:37 AM I think you're making the right decision at this point. Hugs. I will say, though, that it takes 5-6 weeks before you can tell if Osphos is working, and it maxes at 3 months. People are going to suggest you try a million more things. I think you have been overly thorough and you deserve to find a low maintenance horse you can actually use and enjoy without worry.

100% Agree with this. 
people are going to suggest so many things because they know how attached we all get and they want to make sure you didn't miss anything. 
But I think at this point, it's time to say goodbye and get you something that will work for you. We have all followed this horse's journey and we are sad to see him go but I know I'm excited to see what you get next and see what you make of it. Hugs to you our friend! 

Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words! I feel like I have let him down. I'm the type of person that gets SO attached to my animals, and any animal that comes to stay with me, never leaves, so this is hard. We have bonded heavily these 9 months, and when I get him in the pasture he always comes to greet me, and this is a horse where he would run away from previous owners in the pasture! I could never live with myself if I put him down, but at the same time I worry that he might end up somewhere bad one day. His ringbone will never go away.
I hope that I can find someone that wants to do light work a couple times a week and go on trail rides.

My trainer is looking for something 3-5yo that is broke, and preferably has not seen the pattern yet. She is looking in FL, as she has a lot of connections there. Budget is $7,500.00. If anyone knows of anything, preferably a gelding, PM me.
Also, if anyone knows of someone looking for a trail horse/light riding horse, let me know! Depending on the situation, we might consider helping with transport as we have a truck and trailer.

Edited by emricmacy 2018-05-16 1:15 PM
rodeomom3
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2018-05-16 2:06 PM (#7396411 - in reply to #7396405)

Shelter Dog Lover

emricmacy - 2018-05-16 1:09 PM

100% Agree with this. 

Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words! I feel like I have let him down. I'm the type of person that gets SO attached to my animals, and any animal that comes to stay with me, never leaves, so this is hard. We have bonded heavily these 9 months, and when I get him in the pasture he always comes to greet me, and this is a horse where he would run away from previous owners in the pasture! I could never live with myself if I put him down, but at the same time I worry that he might end up somewhere bad one day. His ringbone will never go away.
I hope that I can find someone that wants to do light work a couple times a week and go on trail rides.

My trainer is looking for something 3-5yo that is broke, and preferably has not seen the pattern yet. She is looking in FL, as she has a lot of connections there. Budget is $7,500.00. If anyone knows of anything, preferably a gelding, PM me.
Also, if anyone knows of someone looking for a trail horse/light riding horse, let me know! Depending on the situation, we might consider helping with transport as we have a truck and trailer.

Hugs to you, it is a tough decision to make. I am like you, I get attached and I don’t sell mine. My mind thinks differently though, I prefer to have one humanely euthanized than risk ending up in a kill pen or a bad situation. Good luck in your search for your next horse, he will be a lucky horse :).
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2018-05-16 3:30 PM (#7396425 - in reply to #7396411)

I just read the headlines

rodeomom3 - 2018-05-16 2:06 PM

100% Agree with this. 

Hugs to you, it is a tough decision to make. I am like you, I get attached and I don’t sell mine. My mind thinks differently though, I prefer to have one humanely euthanized than risk ending up in a kill pen or a bad situation. Good luck in your search for your next horse, he will be a lucky horse :).

I am with rodeomom on this, I’ll put one down before I’ll rosk the kill pen. I hope the right person comes along for him and you find a really nice horse for yourself.
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2018-05-16 10:09 PM (#7396474 - in reply to #7396425)

My Heart Be Happy

GLP - 2018-05-16 3:30 PM

rodeomom3 - 2018-05-16 2:06 PM

100% Agree with this. 

I am with rodeomom on this, I’ll put one down before I’ll rosk the kill pen. I hope the right person comes along for him and you find a really nice horse for yourself.

I'm gonna third this opinion. . . I've never sold one, they have a home for life here---but I'm also blessed with ample land availability. If my situation ever changed, I would pray I was able to let one go with dignity rather than risk the chance they might ever end up in "bad hands" or the kill pen. The not knowing would haunt me. . . .

I can't imagine what you're going thru, so hugs to you and your boy, praying he finds a wonderful forever home
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software