Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Stifle Surgery

Jump to page :
Last activity 2018-06-15 10:26 AM
5 replies, 567 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

lionsden
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2018-06-14 6:07 PM
Subject: Stifle Surgery

I have a 9 year old mare who had stifle surgery for an OCD (osteochonditis dissecans) on her right stifle, her left stifle is fine. She has been confined to a stall for month and now is in a small paddock for another month. She will be reassessed in a month. What did you do for rehab and were they able to barrel race again.

Thanks
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-06-14 11:02 PM
Subject: RE: Stifle Surgery

IMA No Hair Style Gal

We had a surgery on one of ours 2 summers ago. To rehab him we did a lot of long trotting. Last year we started hauling him and in about 15 shows he was running 1 second off in barrels and 22 second poles. We took him to Congress to see the sites and ran him in novice poles, he ended up just out of placing with either a high 21 or a low 22 (can't remember the exact time.) Haven't had a chance to run at any shows but he is working fluid. We keep him on Equithrive Joint when he is being ridden, just to make sure he is feeling his best. Tomorrow I will post pictures and try to share a video or two of him.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
lionsden
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2018-06-15 8:18 AM

Thank you for responding
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
heidiinaz
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2018-06-15 9:21 AM

Expert

Have you researched P.R.P procedure? It's very non invasive and has great results
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
rodeodreamin
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-06-15 10:06 AM

Expert

My horse had an accident that distroyed the cartilage in his stifle.  Please understand that this was much more severe than your horse...  The surgery cleaned up the cartilage, and I was told I would never be able to ride him again.  I prayed a lot, sold my plasma to buy him lots of adequan, and religiously used a PHT blanket with stifle wraps (what they had back then) for over a year.  When my other horse was injured and after the ok from my vet, I legged him back up after was given the vet's blessing to run him again.  So, there is lots of hope for your horse.  This was several years ago, before a lot of the new technology... so definately look into adequan and PRP.   
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-06-15 10:26 AM

IMA No Hair Style Gal

X ray 60 days after surgery. Next to the screw the bone has filled in, it was lighter in color where the OCD was.

Here is his pole run from Congress:
https://www.facebook.com/kimberley.klein.5/videos/10101911202766640/

This was his third show:
https://www.facebook.com/kimberley.klein.5/videos/10101911202766640/

He has a cool story. We have owned him for 4 years. When we got him he had been through 5 different owners in under a year. He was in poor shape, super skinny. and scared of everything. So much so that some friends of ours nicknamed him spooky. The first year we owned him we spent time just getting him feeling good, and less scared. We would haul him to shows and he would stand tied and dance whenever a motorized vehicle drove by him.

The second year we noticed he maybe had a lameness because he kept crossfiring. We did a lameness exam and started him on Equithrive Joint. We got a good result, but then I had him at a show and he reared up almost flipping over on me. Then the following week he did the same thing with my husband and almost got him off.

From there we talked about how maybe he wasn't physically capable of what we were asking. We contaced a horse hospital in Lexington as a last ditch resort to see what our options were. Within the past year a new surgery had come out where they place a screw in the OCD and it heals the lesion, as bone grows and fills in the OCD around the screw. He was a $500 horse, and the surgery was $1,500. We were given a 75% success rate, so we opted to do it. You can't really find a super nice prospect for $2,000 so we thought it was worth the risk.

Surgery ended up being a sucess, last year we got him running. And now this year I am taking him over to run him. I still have a few confidence issues with this horse since he did try to kill me....but I ran through the pattern a bit last night and we are getting more comfortable together.

AND- this horse packed around my niece who has only been on horses about 10 times prior at a week long horse camp last week.

Long story short, the surgery worked, and he has been well worth the time. He just needed someone to give him a chance to shine and feel good. :-)

Edit: For fun here was his video when he was being a turd. This was where we came to the conclusion he had to be hurting somewhere due to the nature of his rear, and when he did it again to my husband on the pattern we knew something more was going on.

https://www.facebook.com/kimberley.klein.5/videos/10101207926797320/

Edited by magic gunsmoke 2018-06-15 10:34 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software