Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bleeders....tell me everything!
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-07-15 11:33 AM
5 replies, 486 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BarrelsRmyLife
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2018-07-07 2:00 PM (#7401768)
Subject: Bleeders....tell me everything!

Elite Veteran

Having a bleeder is something new for me! So I am looking to gain as much info as I can from those who have experience with it. 

1. What is your "magic" dosage for lasix and how many hours out works best for said horse? 
2. Do you give it oral, IM or IV.
3. Has lasix taken the run/energy out of your horse? Does it take them a long time to recover after use?
4. Do you give electolytes before, after or both? And your favorite brand of electrolytes to give. 
5. Do you use Ventipulmin or Albuterol before? (Have been told by a couple folks to avoid both as they raise the horses blood pressure)
6. Do you avoid feeding certain things (richer foods, ect).
7. Do you change any feed before you are to run? 
8. Do you nebulize, before/after/both?
9. Anything else you feel a person should know from your own experiences. 

Thank You! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ticktock
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2018-07-11 6:52 PM (#7402134 - in reply to #7401768)
Subject: RE: Bleeders....tell me everything!

Veteran

I have had 2 bleeders that were 1D barrel horses so it never bothered me much you just learn to pay more attention. my answers are beside your questions

1. What is your "magic" dosage for lasix and how many hours out works best for said horse? If its really hot and humid 5 cc's or 3 cc in winter, she was a bad bleeder
2. Do you give it oral, IM or IV. ALWAYS IV, works way better 2.5 -3 hours out
3. Has lasix taken the run/energy out of your horse? NEVER Does it take them a long time to recover after use? no
4. Do you give electolytes before, after or both? BOTH And your favorite brand of electrolytes to give.OE OR FINISH LINE
5. Do you use Ventipulmin or Albuterol before? Ventipulmin washed my mare out bad, I only tried Albuterol once and she ran off with me and lapped the arena never gave it again, she won her next race lol (Have been told by a couple folks to avoid both as they raise the horses blood pressure) I agree
6. Do you avoid feeding certain things (richer foods, ect). no, i always fed a low sugar/starch feed and alfalfa
7. Do you change any feed before you are to run? NO
8. Do you nebulize, before/after/both? ONLY THE SILVER IF SHE HAD A BLEEDING OCCURENCE WHICH WAS RARE
9. Anything else you feel a person should know from your own experiences. I THINK I TRIED EVERY SUPPLEMENT OUT THERE, I HAD THE MOST SUCCESS WITH BLEED BLOCK BY EQUIDITE AND 2 X PER YEAR USED EQUIWINNER PATCHES. ONCE i GOT THAT COMBO I QUIT HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HER AND IT LASTED FOR YEARS. you have to watch for ulcers a lot more closely with a bleeder because if they bleed it stresses them out. Hope that helps some :)
rcoe
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2018-07-12 7:19 AM (#7402156 - in reply to #7401768)

Veteran

Get them scoped after a run, just to make certain. And while doing this also have them look down into the gut for ulcers, might as well do both at the same time.

I had mine scoped again after we started to reduce the lasix dosage to make sure it was still being effective. For our mare 1.5ml seems to work great.

We stopped giving ventapulmin as it made her very hot and as for supplements we use OXYgen 2.0 daily along with powdered omerprazole powder daily.

This does not take any run out of ours and she recovers very quickly. For hot weather we will start electrolyte powder a few days out.

Most importantly keep them in great shape.

inittowinit
Reg. Feb 2018
Posted 2018-07-12 7:40 AM (#7402160 - in reply to #7401768)

1. What is your "magic" dosage for lasix and how many hours out works best for said horse?
Depends on the horse. I have one that is great with 4ml 3 hrs out. I have another that needs 5ml 3hrs out with Kentucky Red as well. I have noticed though 3-4 hrs is my magic window of time. Anything shorter and they don't have enough time to rid of the extra fluid.

2. Do you give it oral, IM or IV.
IV
3. Has lasix taken the run/energy out of your horse? Does it take them a long time to recover after use?
My gelding does fine and has no issues. My mare it washes her out and takes a few days to recover. One reason we added the Kentucky Red so that we could lower the Lasix dosage.

4. Do you give electolytes before, after or both? And your favorite brand of electrolytes to give.
I give finish line orange a day electrolytes everyday in their feed and then after a run I will dose with THE equine electrolyte half a tube.

5. Do you use Ventipulmin or Albuterol before? (Have been told by a couple folks to avoid both as they raise the horses blood pressure) Ive used Ventipulmin never saw enough difference with it to continue. I will say that im a big believer in the flair strips and I give 30cc of Air power by finish line 30 mins before a run.

6. Do you avoid feeding certain things (richer foods, ect).
Nope all mine are on Triple crown senior and alfalfa and vitamin K

7. Do you change any feed before you are to run?
Nope but I do pull water and hay after Lasix is given
8. Do you nebulize, before/after/both?
I don't have one.....yet
9. Anything else you feel a person should know from your own experiences.
Keep them as fit as possible! Im talking FIT!! More loping and transition work. I want those lungs strong!
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2018-07-13 9:35 PM (#7402353 - in reply to #7401768)

My Heart Be Happy

Laura's horse was just diagnosed as a bleeder; she has also started to pant---is there a connection? This is all new to Laura, and one vet told her that was to be expected with a bleeder. . . She's trying to learn all she can to make Peek as comfortable as possible.

This may be sooo dumb, so please forgive me cause I know NOTHING---could this be passed on to her foal if she's ever bred?
BobbieL
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2018-07-15 11:33 AM (#7402406 - in reply to #7401768)

1. What is your "magic" dosage for lasix and how many hours out works best for said horse? For my horse 4 CC 3 hours out
2. Do you give it oral, IM or IV. IV works the best for me
3. Has lasix taken the run/energy out of your horse? Does it take them a long time to recover after use? Not if I hit the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hour window. Recovery is best when I use OE Revive as a pre race and right after I run. 
4. Do you give electolytes before, after or both? And your favorite brand of electrolytes to give. BOTH before and after. OE Revive is my favorite
5. Do you use Ventipulmin or Albuterol before? (Have been told by a couple folks to avoid both as they raise the horses blood pressure) NO
6. Do you avoid feeding certain things (richer foods, ect). He’s on a low starch diet with lots of coastal hay and alfalfa cubes
7. Do you change any feed before you are to run?  NO
8. Do you nebulize, before/after/both? NO
9. Anything else you feel a person should know from your own experiences. Make sure to keep them in the best possible shape. Short burst of sprints. Make sure you keep good electrolytes daily. Pull all water and food when you give Laix. I do offer a small sip of water when it’s really hot to wet his mouth but thats it. I also like to use OE wind or nitro as a pre race. I have used Kentucky red with Lasix when its extremely hot and a big deep sandy pen. I won’t run at a barrel race when it’s extremely hot thats a day race. Only night races or rodeos. 

Thank You! 

-----
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World