Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Blanketing in the winter
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-09-13 11:42 AM
37 replies, 1425 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JLazyT_perf_horses
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-09-10 9:22 AM (#7407557 - in reply to #7407458)
Subject: RE: Blanketing in the winter

Elite Veteran

I'm going to be the odd one and say a blanket will help with hair coat. But, it's not super significant. I'm in central IL and I blanket as mine are outside in all weather and I don't have control over when/if they can come in and also can't have hay under them all the time for internal warmth. I board, so whatever they do is what happens. I have 3 who wear the same size so I have 2 older ripped/repaired blankets I use as spares if needed. I agree with light to keep a coat off, but mine will only grow about 80% of their usual coats when I blanket them with no lights. So it does help to some degree but not enough to keep it from growing in. I prefer blanketing because it keeps them cleaner and like I said, because I can't keep them warm with food and they're in the middle of open corn fields with no trees or anything as wind block. They have small lean to areas but I've never seen them use them. I don't ride from Nov-Mar so I don't ever care too much about hair. A blanket does keep the cushings horse from growing a 5" long coat like he did before I blanketed him, but he's a special case.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2018-09-10 9:29 AM (#7407558 - in reply to #7407458)

A Somebody to Everybody

As long as your horse or horses can get out of the wind and have a good wind block or shelter I see no reason to blanket a horse when the temps drop into the 30's maybe 20's and we do get into the teens {and last year we hit single digits a few times}, I live in SouthTexas {San Antoino, Seguin area} and have never put a blanket on any of my horses.. I have seen a few horses around here that their owners feel the need to put a blanket on and they are sitting out in the rain shivering because their blankets are soaked or it warms up during the day and its hits the high 70's after a night of a freeze and these horses still have blankets on. Let mother nature do her job.. Horses will still grow their winter hair blanket or not. 
I have good wind blocks for all my horses and I live up on a hill and that winter wind sure can cut threw here when those cold fronts come in. 
BamaCanChaser
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2018-09-10 9:47 AM (#7407562 - in reply to #7407458)

Expert

I live in South Alabama and I absolutely DO blanket horses that I'm working/running throughout the winter. It does prevent them from growing as long of a winter coat, if done correctly, which is the whole point of me going through the extra effort of keeping them blanketed.

No our temps don't get nearly as cold as northern states, but we have such a wet cold. It 's just different, if you've never been here to experience it. Also our weather fluctuates heavily during this season. I know that we don't NEED a blanket down here. Horses that aren't being hauled don't get one and are perfectly fine. But they cool out faster, look much nicer and we don't know if it's going to be 20* or 80* at the barrel race on the weekend, but I don't want to run a sweaty woolly mammoth on the weekends that it's warm.

To answer your questions OP: I usually take mine off every morning when I turn them out, unless the temp is going to stay cold and rain that day. Rain and warm up they come off, cool weather and plenty of sun they come off. I never want to leave them in a situation where they might sweat underneath. I use a medium weight turnout. Invest in the high denier turnouts. 1200D or higher at least and waterproof. Unless your horse is just really bad with blankets you shouldn't need an extra.
KKCOWGIRL
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2018-09-10 10:17 AM (#7407566 - in reply to #7407499)

SHOOT IT

Thank you.  Blanketing a horse is my pet peeve.  I live in Texas and it DOES NOT get cold enough to put a blanket on a horse (I agree that there may be exceptions).  It amazes me how many people will put a blanket on their horse when the temps get below 40 and will leave them on, even when the temps crawl back up to 60 or 70.  Drives me crazy!  You are doing more harm than good.   If you have a place where the horse can get out of the wind and rain, no blanket is needed, IMO.
Bear
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2018-09-10 10:05 PM (#7407653 - in reply to #7407458)

BHW Resident Surgeon

This thread is one of those subjects that comes up once a year like clockwork, and the result hasn’t changed in the last 10 years.
People, including myself, state their opinions. Nobody learns anything, and nobody changes their mind. It’s kinda like New Years....a meaningless holiday. The only thing that changes is our age.
cranky B4 10am
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2018-09-10 10:17 PM (#7407655 - in reply to #7407566)

Military family

Witty Enough

KKCOWGIRL - 2018-09-10 10:17 AM Thank you.  Blanketing a horse is my pet peeve.  I live in Texas and it DOES NOT get cold enough to put a blanket on a horse (I agree that there may be exceptions).  It amazes me how many people will put a blanket on their horse when the temps get below 40 and will leave them on, even when the temps crawl back up to 60 or 70.  Drives me crazy!  You are doing more harm than good.   If you have a place where the horse can get out of the wind and rain, no blanket is needed, IMO.

^^^this^^^.
I don’t blanket at all. I leave the house around 6am and get back around 5pm. That means they either get cold for another hour or 2 after I take a blanket off, or they sweat when the temps go up during the day. We do have a run-in where they can hide, and round bales to keep warm.
Also, I do have several wool coolers which I use if a horse is sweaty after working in colder weather. Put one on after work, and replace with a dry one when the outside is wet. 
And our warm up and cool down take longer.
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2018-09-10 10:51 PM (#7407657 - in reply to #7407653)

My Heart Be Happy

Bear - 2018-09-10 10:05 PM

This thread is one of those subjects that comes up once a year like clockwork, and the result hasn’t changed in the last 10 years.
People, including myself, state their opinions. Nobody learns anything, and nobody changes their mind. It’s kinda like New Years....a meaningless holiday. The only thing that changes is our age.

This made me laugh; you, Bear, have the most unique ways of looking at things
TrackinBubba
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2018-09-11 7:02 AM (#7407667 - in reply to #7407458)

Poor Cracker Girl

I vote for a judicious clip. Blanketing is work and I'm lazy.

I have one mare that grows enough hair for everybody on the farm. I clip the bottom of her neck, her chest, and her girth area. It looks kinda odd but it helps her stay cool when it's warm and I haven't taken off so much hair that she's freezing when it's cold. 
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2018-09-11 5:59 PM (#7407752 - in reply to #7407458)

Warrior Mom

I blanket ... every winter.. now this year I'll actually have the barn with nice stalls... I'm still going to blanket but I've decided to use just a lighter weight stable blanket.. doesn't need to be waterproof, just breathable. The same people around me continue to question me EVERY SINGLE YEAR and try to lecture me about why I dont "need" to but I let it go in one ear and out the other.. my horses, my choice, my chore ... namaste
rpreast
Reg. Nov 2015
Posted 2018-09-12 9:47 AM (#7407793 - in reply to #7407752)

Extreme Veteran

want2chase3 - 2018-09-11 4:59 PM

I blanket ... every winter.. now this year I'll actually have the barn with nice stalls... I'm still going to blanket but I've decided to use just a lighter weight stable blanket.. doesn't need to be waterproof, just breathable. The same people around me continue to question me EVERY SINGLE YEAR and try to lecture me about why I dont "need" to but I let it go in one ear and out the other.. my horses, my choice, my chore ... namaste

Same. Central California temps absolutely do not require a blanket, but I like short, easy to cool out coats in the winter. Plus I think they're prettier without all their fuzz. lol They come into the barn under lights at night and get blanketed, and then get turned out in the morning naked. My horses, my choice is the best/most accurate statement!

The really crazy ones to me are the cowhorse barns close to us. Blankets on if the temp is under 70.

Edited by rpreast 2018-09-12 1:18 PM
FlyingJT
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2018-09-12 11:13 AM (#7407806 - in reply to #7407458)

Expert

I thought hair growth was based on day-light hours...like reproduction. Actually it is. If you don't want hair growth your going to have to do more than blanket, which is not going to slow or stop it. 15+ hours of light a day in order to slow the growth, then you blanket to help with warmth.

Blanketing because your riding isn't really necessary if you consider the above. Blanketing because it makes you feel good about your care for your horse, than who cares what anyone else thinks. Just don't make your horse stand out and sweat all day because you think he looks loved in a blanket.
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2018-09-12 2:07 PM (#7407810 - in reply to #7407458)

Warrior Mom

This post actually raises a question for me... my daughter just decided last night that she wants to show the little yellow horse in halter for the next FFA fair which I believe is first week of January. Hes slicked and beautiful dark dappled as of right now. We do have lights in the barn but am I too late to start to try and keep him slicked, he will be blanketed with a sleazy as well when the time comes. This is her first year in FFA showing something, so we are rooks ... she wanted to do lamb but we cant find one this late in the game.

Silly Filly
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2018-09-12 3:06 PM (#7407813 - in reply to #7407458)

Elite Veteran

I've blanketed my horses for 25 years.  It does keep their winter hair in check, and it keeps them from getting too hot when I ride in the heated indoor barns.  Also has the added benefit of keeping them clean, so it keeps grooming to a minimum.  That's important when you only have two hours to groom, saddle, ride and unsaddle two horses.  This is in Wyoming.  I tried not blanketing one year.  All you had to do was walk your horse once around the barn, and they were a sweaty mess.  Impossible to cool down before taking them out into subzero temps.  I don't blanket the horses that don't get ridden in the winter, unless conditions warrant it.
FlyingJT
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2018-09-12 4:02 PM (#7407817 - in reply to #7407810)

Expert

want2chase3 - 2018-09-12 2:07 PM

This post actually raises a question for me... my daughter just decided last night that she wants to show the little yellow horse in halter for the next FFA fair which I believe is first week of January. Hes slicked and beautiful dark dappled as of right now. We do have lights in the barn but am I too late to start to try and keep him slicked, he will be blanketed with a sleazy as well when the time comes. This is her first year in FFA showing something, so we are rooks ... she wanted to do lamb but we cant find one this late in the game.

I don't think you're too late to start. It should help keep the growth down to a minimum. You will at least promote his summer hair to start to come in early and the shedding process to begin earlier than normal.

Make sure that you put your lights on a timer, you don't want 24hrs of light, more like 14-16hrs.
SmoothIsFast
Reg. Sep 2017
Posted 2018-09-12 4:24 PM (#7407818 - in reply to #7407458)

Check out the Smartpak Blanketing App. You put in your location and it tells you what to do based on weather and if they are clipped or what. I am in North Florida. We have weird weather in the winter. So I blanket during the most extreme of it to keep them dry. I also have a hard keeper so I blanket her to avoid unnecessary calorie loss when its cold. This year I plan to have my horse in a steady work program all winter so I will body clip him and that will mean I have to blanket him. Mine stay outside all the time.
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2018-09-12 7:14 PM (#7407827 - in reply to #7407817)

Warrior Mom

FlyingJT - 2018-09-12 4:02 PM

want2chase3 - 2018-09-12 2:07 PM

I don't think you're too late to start. It should help keep the growth down to a minimum. You will at least promote his summer hair to start to come in early and the shedding process to begin earlier than normal.

Make sure that you put your lights on a timer, you don't want 24hrs of light, more like 14-16hrs.

I'm planning on having them turned out during the day, weather permitting. None of my guys do well being stalled 24/7 for more than 3 days. They get to kicking and get grumpy. I'll have to get a timer for sure!
jkrm
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2018-09-13 10:41 AM (#7407847 - in reply to #7407458)

Ima Non Controversial Girl

Not sure where you all live that say blanketing doesn't help prevent winter hair growth only lights do. I'm in Sask Canada and we get dang cold. Minus 40 on occasion with -45 wind chill. I only blanket the horses I plan to ride all winter at an insulated indoor. I start blanketing at night about now then the blankets stay on all day once it's cool all day. The horses I blanket do not get even close to the same winter hair coat as the non blanketed horses. My horses aren't under lights. They certainly aren't summer slick but the blanket does prevent a full winter hair coat. I blanket to prevent the ful winter hair coat so when they get sweated up when I ride they don't take hours to dry before I have to trailer them home and turn them out in their pen. I blanket with a heavy duty waterproof blanket. If I'm not riding a horse in the winter they don't get blanketed. But good feed and lots of it is a must. Mine have a round bale in front of them 24/7 in the winter. And they are able to hide in big coulee's to get away from wind.
Kay-DRacing.
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2018-09-13 11:42 AM (#7407850 - in reply to #7407458)

Elite Veteran

I used to live in GA and the only time I really blanketed was when it was cold and rainy. Just made sure they had a nice waterproof sheet to keep them dry. Now that I live in Northern MN, I DO blanket mine if it is below 10 degrees. Anything above 10, the blankets come off because they've grown such thick hair and will sweat. The only time they'll stay on is if its super windy. I think my horses are genuinely thankful for their heavyweight, wind proof blankets when its -40 below and crazy windy out LOL.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software