Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Roaring...surgery recovery
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-09-16 1:07 PM
3 replies, 351 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

enunley1000
Reg. Sep 2018
Posted 2018-09-09 11:29 AM (#7407507)
Subject: Roaring...surgery recovery

boon

My husband’s horse has been diagnosed with laryngeal hemiplegia aka roaring. We’re currentky looking into surgery options and wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. If so did your horse return to full performance? We are looking at the tieback surgery and also at the full removal. Neither one seems to be a great option. I would take any advice from anybody who has dealt with this.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
WetSaddleBlankets
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2018-09-11 5:35 PM (#7407750 - in reply to #7407507)
Subject: RE: Roaring...surgery recovery

Gettin Jiggy Wit It

it depends on what grade he is. My mare had the ventriculectomy. She was mild but needed surgery. She is 1d. I know a few others who had tie back and had great success. It could be something that may need to be repeated years down the road though. Like I said depending on severity. I think with tie back too your horse has to adjust to eating different since they have to swallow differently. They could get aspiration pneumonia or have swallowing difficulties. So if your horse hounds his feed I'd make sure he eats from a dish that slows his eating rate... Also some may cough more.
enunley1000
Reg. Sep 2018
Posted 2018-09-14 7:43 PM (#7407948 - in reply to #7407507)

boon

Thank you! His severity is right in the middle. When we sent the scope to Purdue University, the surgeon suggested tieback. He’s supposed to be one of the best surgeons for it so we’ll see.
bbennington
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2018-09-16 1:07 PM (#7408015 - in reply to #7407507)

Veteran

My gelding has tie back surgery probably three years ago on just one side. He is still running his heart out and competing at top level. However is not a horse you can just pull out of the field and run, he has to be keep in shape and warmed up for a good 20 mins before running. I run him on Wind Aid and the nose strips.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software