Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Is “American Exceptionalism” real?
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-10-23 6:48 AM
27 replies, 922 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dianeguinn
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-10-22 11:55 AM (#7411216 - in reply to #7409983)
Subject: RE: Is “American Exceptionalism” real?

Lady Di

I think one example of American Exceptionalism is the fact that we have a fully voluteer military. I don't know of another country in the world that has people that will volunteer to die to defend what they have. I'm pretty sure all other countries draft their military. Also, most of the modern things we take for granted were invented in America. People here aren't so consumed with just staying alive that they actually have time to invent things to make life better and business more efficient. We also feed the majority of the world. Even though it's not perfect, I think it's still the safest place in the world to live and thrive and become what you want to be.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gail
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2018-10-22 12:25 PM (#7411221 - in reply to #7411216)

Military family

"Mom"

dianeguinn - 2018-10-22 11:55 AM I think one example of American Exceptionalism is the fact that we have a fully voluteer military. I don't know of another country in the world that has people that will volunteer to die to defend what they have. I'm pretty sure all other countries draft their military. Also, most of the modern things we take for granted were invented in America. People here aren't so consumed with just staying alive that they actually have time to invent things to make life better and business more efficient. We also feed the majority of the world. Even though it's not perfect, I think it's still the safest place in the world to live and thrive and become what you want to be.

Thank you for pointing that out Diane.

My son is leaving for the Middle East on Friday.  (not allowed to divuldge location)   he is a USAF SOF ( Special Operations Forces Soldier. ) Reflecting on how much he has given up of his life already and the danger he will face I can say is "exceptional".  And his teammates and others who serve are "exceptional".    We are all created equal in God's eyes.  But time again the United States of America has sent their sons and daughters to fight for the  freedom of others  and ourselves.  We do not colonize like the English did.  We don't grab land from eneimes.  We are the liberators.   The Normanday American Cemetery alone has almost 10K American Soldiers buried, ,most who gave their lives on D Day.  If that is not exeptional then what is?    

oija
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2018-10-22 12:48 PM (#7411226 - in reply to #7411216)

Expert

dianeguinn - 2018-10-22 11:55 AM

I think one example of American Exceptionalism is the fact that we have a fully voluteer military. I don't know of another country in the world that has people that will volunteer to die to defend what they have. I'm pretty sure all other countries draft their military. Also, most of the modern things we take for granted were invented in America. People here aren't so consumed with just staying alive that they actually have time to invent things to make life better and business more efficient. We also feed the majority of the world. Even though it's not perfect, I think it's still the safest place in the world to live and thrive and become what you want to be.

The UK, Romania, Poland, Canada, Australia, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jamaica, New Zealand, etc. There are 106 total listed that have no enforced conscription. Some of them are small countries that just don't have a military force at all but a good number of European countries, Australia, and Canada are also all volunteer military.

We also are not the safest. We do not even make the top 30. https://www.businessinsider.com/safest-countries-in-the-world-2018-6...

A few other statistics: http://premieroffshore.com/usa-is-best-country-in-the-world/

We lead the world in three areas: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, Number of adults who believe angels are real, and Defense spending.

Don't get me wrong. I love my country. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else at all. But sometimes we get a big head and are kind of A***H****s about it. There are tons of great things about America. But there are tons of great things about other places in the world too. God created all humans equal at soul level; we suffer the sin of pride pretty quick when we start thinking we are better and more deserving just because of the geographic location we were born. We are darn lucky yes, but not better.

Edited by oija 2018-10-22 1:02 PM
foundation horse
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-10-22 2:22 PM (#7411236 - in reply to #7411226)

Military family

Semper Fi

oija - 2018-10-22 12:48 PM

The UK, Romania, Poland, Canada, Australia, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jamaica, New Zealand, etc. There are 106 total listed that have no enforced conscription. Some of them are small countries that just don't have a military force at all but a good number of European countries, Australia, and Canada are also all volunteer military.

We also are not the safest. We do not even make the top 30. https://www.businessinsider.com/safest-countries-in-the-world-2018-6...

A few other statistics: http://premieroffshore.com/usa-is-best-country-in-the-world/

We lead the world in three areas: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, Number of adults who believe angels are real, and Defense spending.

Don't get me wrong. I love my country. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else at all. But sometimes we get a big head and are kind of A***H****s about it. There are tons of great things about America. But there are tons of great things about other places in the world too. God created all humans equal at soul level; we suffer the sin of pride pretty quick when we start thinking we are better and more deserving just because of the geographic location we were born. We are darn lucky yes, but not better.

Something that makes America 'exceptional' from the rest of The World is The U.S. Constitution! A Foundational Document that limits Government interference in Citizen's Lives! And gives Citizens a mechanism to defend themselves from Criminals and Tyrannical Governments!
oija
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2018-10-22 2:37 PM (#7411238 - in reply to #7411236)

Expert

foundation horse - 2018-10-22 2:22 PM

Something that makes America 'exceptional' from the rest of The World is The U.S. Constitution! A Foundational Document that limits Government interference in Citizen's Lives! And gives Citizens a mechanism to defend themselves from Criminals and Tyrannical Governments!

America pulled a lot from Thomas Hobbs, the Magna Carta, the Mayflower Compact, other representative governments in history like Rome and Greece for the Constitution. It's not all original and most of it wasn't American to start with. And certainly having a revolution when you get ****ed isn't new either, check out the Peasant's Revolt of 1381 in Britain. What IS original and was a brilliant stroke from the writers of the Constitution was the idea of checks and balances. Of course they figured that out after the failure of the Articles of Confederation, which means they admitted they had failure in a few places and then made it better. If we always think we are better than everyone, we may not admit where we need to improve. When we do realize we have failed and work to fix it, well then we tend to do things that are pretty darn awesome.
foundation horse
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-10-22 2:41 PM (#7411240 - in reply to #7411238)

Military family

Semper Fi

oija - 2018-10-22 2:37 PM

America pulled a lot from Thomas Hobbs, the Magna Carta, the Mayflower Compact, other representative governments in history like Rome and Greece for the Constitution. It's not all original and most of it wasn't American to start with. And certainly having a revolution when you get ****ed isn't new either, check out the Peasant's Revolt of 1381 in Britain. What IS original and was a brilliant stroke from the writers of the Constitution was the idea of checks and balances. Of course they figured that out after the failure of the Articles of Confederation, which means they admitted they had failure in a few places and then made it better. If we always think we are better than everyone, we may not admit where we need to improve. When we do realize we have failed and work to fix it, well then we tend to do things that are pretty darn awesome.

Agreed. However, I appreciate how Reagan phrased America as 'The Shining Light on The Hill'. There is really something to that analogy. It is illustrated in how America is 'the' destination for the destitute, and The World expects America to step up and step in to help with just every type of crisis there is world wide.......................
oija
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2018-10-22 3:09 PM (#7411243 - in reply to #7411240)

Expert

foundation horse - 2018-10-22 2:41 PM

Agreed. However, I appreciate how Reagan phrased America as 'The Shining Light on The Hill'. There is really something to that analogy. It is illustrated in how America is 'the' destination for the destitute, and The World expects America to step up and step in to help with just every type of crisis there is world wide.......................

If we are a light to the destitute, I am sure you can see some of the irony here: http://forums.barrelhorseworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

It would appear that we are like the sirens in Homer's Odyssey, calling out to the world how awesome and amazing we are just come and see. Here's a light to guide you. Oh by the way, if you get too close we don't mind shooting or having a few military grade planes doing a fly over, etc.

Perhaps we like the idea of 'being' a light but not the idea of 'sharing' the light.

I fully understand there are a number of complex factors at play in the whole Caravan thing. I too question the interesting timing and whether a few palms might have been greased or if some people were paid just at this moment to stir up people who are probably pretty regular people that are just in a desperate situation and got them moving this direction. I am not blind to that. But I also am not blind to our tendency to jump to violence to deal with these issues and our sometimes blindly prejudicial attitudes to those coming here.
foundation horse
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-10-23 6:48 AM (#7411289 - in reply to #7411243)

Military family

Semper Fi

oija - 2018-10-22 3:09 PM

foundation horse - 2018-10-22 2:41 PM

If we are a light to the destitute, I am sure you can see some of the irony here: http://forums.barrelhorseworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

It would appear that we are like the sirens in Homer's Odyssey, calling out to the world how awesome and amazing we are just come and see. Here's a light to guide you. Oh by the way, if you get too close we don't mind shooting or having a few military grade planes doing a fly over, etc.

Perhaps we like the idea of 'being' a light but not the idea of 'sharing' the light.

I fully understand there are a number of complex factors at play in the whole Caravan thing. I too question the interesting timing and whether a few palms might have been greased or if some people were paid just at this moment to stir up people who are probably pretty regular people that are just in a desperate situation and got them moving this direction. I am not blind to that. But I also am not blind to our tendency to jump to violence to deal with these issues and our sometimes blindly prejudicial attitudes to those coming here.

Let me ask you this? Do you believe in the rule of law? Do you believe in an orderly process? Because, The Constitution IS The Rule of Law for America!
Now, without a Rule of Law to follow and Processes to facilitate said of Rule of Law, then there is Chaos and Anarchy! And this approaching caravan is observing nothing in regards to American Ethics and Values, not to mention Rule of Law and Processes!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software