Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Video Critique/Advice Please :) **Update**
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-01-07 9:22 AM
33 replies, 1629 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-10-24 5:13 PM (#7411536 - in reply to #7411387)
Subject: RE: Video Critique/Advice Please :)

IMA No Hair Style Gal

stayceem - 2018-10-23 4:26 PM

I guess here is what I see.... in the last video, he is way overbent right from the start and you continued to pull on your inside rein because he was drifting out but if you watch his body position, his outside shoulder is leading the way and is backwards as it sounds, you should have straightened that shoulder up with your outside rein/outside leg. Its natural for us to want to go right so we pull on the right rein but sometimes all we are doing is pulling the nose and eventually the body follows but usually with a hind end completely swung out from under them.

Secondly, I think body positioning for you. You seem to be quiet but it almost seems like you're not ready to go fast? I may be off base but you stay on the horn instead of driving him forward as another poster mentioned, your body positioning to encourage speed is important. When you kick, it actually seems like it slows him down because your balance changes. You have to be able to maintain your body position while kicking/whipping or its kind of counter productive.

One think I would work on at home is getting him to drive on the backside... he doesn't seem to really dig in. I usually do some spiral drills for this or come in slow and ask for more speed coming out. For example, trot in, lope out.

With all that said, I think young horses do find their competitive edge at different times.... my one gradually got a little faster and I encouraged him but wasn't loud about it. Squeezed and smooched and eventually he realized speed was a part of it. Some horses find speed too fast and I prefer the other kind.

Thank you so much for putting into words what I feel! I would agree that I look like I don’t want to go fast. ?? I will keep workin at it. Thanks for the great advice. I am so used to that free runner that really was a lot faster than I could keep up with. So this is all new to me, which is good. Any advice on drills or things to read up on?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-10-24 5:14 PM (#7411537 - in reply to #7411147)

IMA No Hair Style Gal

Also to add I am on my phone. Those two ?? Marks were supposed to be an emoji!
Rolling J
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2018-10-25 1:37 PM (#7411649 - in reply to #7411147)

Dancing in my Mind

I am no expert, nor have I ran a horse in years but I REALLY like him! I know you are looking for the speed but I see a lot of potential in this boy! Keep us posted! I think you have a future winner there.
magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-10-25 8:08 PM (#7411669 - in reply to #7411649)

IMA No Hair Style Gal

Rolling J - 2018-10-25 2:37 PM

I am no expert, nor have I ran a horse in years but I REALLY like him! I know you are looking for the speed but I see a lot of potential in this boy! Keep us posted! I think you have a future winner there.

Omg thank you so much! I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself the past few days trying to come up with all the ways and things I need to work on. I feel like it doesn’t come easily to me! LOL But I will keep at it!
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2018-10-25 8:24 PM (#7411670 - in reply to #7411669)

My Heart Be Happy

magic gunsmoke - 2018-10-25 8:08 PM

Rolling J - 2018-10-25 2:37 PM

Omg thank you so much! I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself the past few days trying to come up with all the ways and things I need to work on. I feel like it doesn’t come easily to me! LOL But I will keep at it!

Please don't get overwhelmed--you have/will get useful information here. Hang in and keep putting one foot (hoof!!) in front of the other

And keep us posted. . .
jake16
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2018-10-25 8:46 PM (#7411671 - in reply to #7411147)

Go Get Em!

do you have any videos of you with the free runner horse?what are your hubby's suggestions?
r_beau
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2018-10-26 10:40 AM (#7411691 - in reply to #7411147)

Born not Made

First off, really pretty horse and I just love his smooth-looking lope!

I also agree that it just looks like he doesn't know what's going on yet, and looks like he also does not know how to run.

Maybe I missed it, how old is he?
Take him out to that spot you mentioned and BREEZE him. Most horses do have to learn how to run. I breeze my horses on grass. I've got a nice stretch near where I board that's about 1/2 mile long and always mowed and nice and flat. It's perfect.  When they are running in a straight line, they're not going to slip. (It's when you try to make turns, like running barrels on grass, is when they are going to slip b/c of lack of footing.)

Just out of curiosity, what bit are you using on him? He looks like a very "noodly" type horse. I would like to see him using his butt in the turns a little bit better - he tends to swing a little bit. NOt bad, but a little. He's pretty decent on the 3rd barrel though. So I would also work more on circle drills (doesn't have to be with a barrel) to teach him how to keep that hind end under him, don't over noodle, and be able to do that with a direct rein. I have one now that I put on the pattern this year who took a long time to learn to not let that outside shoulder drift when I went to one hand, but he figured it out. (I also switched him to a Little S Hack which works very well for him.)

But I do also agree, like others have already said, that you need to work on your body language too. Right now, your body language says "slow lope the pattern for me", so he is. I took this snapshot of you after leaving the first barrel on your first run you posted. You're leaning back. That body language tells your horse to slow down. (I'd also maybe shorten your stirrups one hole - I think that might help your leg.)  So think FORWARD! Still keep your legs under you (so if you removed the horse from the picture, you could still  be balanced to stand on your own two feet) but lean that upper body forward, like a jockey.

I can't quite remember which barrel racing clinic I was at that they said: You'd better be getting UP and ready to run to the next barrel before your horse does. Which makes sense to me. If my body is ready to get "up" and power out of the turn and onto the next barrel, then so will my horse. The timing has to be there of course, but you can't let yourself get behind.

Overall, your doing very nicely with him. Just need to work on his noodle-ness and teach him how to run!

magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-10-27 10:59 AM (#7411748 - in reply to #7411691)

IMA No Hair Style Gal

r_beau - 2018-10-26 11:40 AM

I also agree that it just looks like he doesn't know what's going on yet, and looks like he also does not know how to run.

Take him out to that spot you mentioned and BREEZE him. Most horses do have to learn how to run. I breeze my horses on grass. I've got a nice stretch near where I board that's about 1/2 mile long and always mowed and nice and flat. It's perfect.  When they are running in a straight line, they're not going to slip. (It's when you try to make turns, like running barrels on grass, is when they are going to slip b/c of lack of footing.)

Just out of curiosity, what bit are you using on him? He looks like a very "noodly" type horse. I would like to see him using his butt in the turns a little bit better - he tends to swing a little bit. NOt bad, but a little. He's pretty decent on the 3rd barrel though. So I would also work more on circle drills (doesn't have to be with a barrel) to teach him how to keep that hind end under him, don't over noodle, and be able to do that with a direct rein. I have one now that I put on the pattern this year who took a long time to learn to not let that outside shoulder drift when I went to one hand, but he figured it out. (I also switched him to a Little S Hack which works very well for him.)

But I do also agree, like others have already said, that you need to work on your body language too. Right now, your body language says "slow lope the pattern for me", so he is. I took this snapshot of you after leaving the first barrel on your first run you posted. You're leaning back. That body language tells your horse to slow down. (I'd also maybe shorten your stirrups one hole - I think that might help your leg.)  So think FORWARD! Still keep your legs under you (so if you removed the horse from the picture, you could still  be balanced to stand on your own two feet) but lean that upper body forward, like a jockey.

I can't quite remember which barrel racing clinic I was at that they said: You'd better be getting UP and ready to run to the next barrel before your horse does. Which makes sense to me. If my body is ready to get "up" and power out of the turn and onto the next barrel, then so will my horse. The timing has to be there of course, but you can't let yourself get behind.

Overall, your doing very nicely with him. Just need to work on his noodle-ness and teach him how to run!

Hot dayummmmm I would be so amazing at western pleasure! LOL Anyways thanks for the feedback I will keep at it. I will also try to upload a video of me on my free runner when I get a chance!
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2018-10-27 2:18 PM (#7411753 - in reply to #7411748)

My Heart Be Happy

magic gunsmoke - 2018-10-27 10:59 AM

r_beau - 2018-10-26 11:40 AM

Hot dayummmmm I would be so amazing at western pleasure! LOL Anyways thanks for the feedback I will keep at it. I will also try to upload a video of me on my free runner when I get a chance!

Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2018-10-27 9:30 PM (#7411779 - in reply to #7411753)

A Somebody to Everybody

Chandler's Mom - 2018-10-27 2:18 PM
magic gunsmoke - 2018-10-27 10:59 AM
r_beau - 2018-10-26 11:40 AM First off, really pretty horse and I just love his smooth-looking lope!

LOL, too cute of a reply from Magic Gunsmoke  
magic gunsmoke
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2019-01-01 6:54 PM (#7417802 - in reply to #7411147)
Subject: RE: Video Critique/Advice Please :) **Update**

IMA No Hair Style Gal

Just wanted to bump this, as I posted an update.
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-01-01 8:15 PM (#7417805 - in reply to #7417802)

My Heart Be Happy

magic gunsmoke - 2019-01-01 6:54 PM

Just wanted to bump this, as I posted an update.

Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-01-01 9:16 PM (#7417809 - in reply to #7411147)

A Somebody to Everybody

Wow look at you hustling that roan, good job  
geronabean
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2019-01-07 9:22 AM (#7418263 - in reply to #7411147)

Queen Bean of Ponyland

Looking good!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'