Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to sell/ get rid of a decent horse
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-11-07 8:31 AM
17 replies, 1059 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Queenie07
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2018-11-05 12:48 PM (#7412457)
Subject: How to sell/ get rid of a decent horse

Veteran

I have a 16 year old mare. She's a drop dead gorgeous mare and has amazing bloodlines. I've had her since she has been 6, trained her just about everything. She has been sitting the past few years, so I have little to show for what she is capable of. Long story short my goals and priorities are changing (starting a family soon), and I just need to take a break from horses because I know i cant physically or financially commit to what she deserves. I held on for so long hoping that things would get better, but I'm finally to the bridge of cutting my losses and hoping to find a good home for her.

I had her posted for $4,500 which I felt was a fair price, but didnt get any interest other than wow she's pretty. She is at my family's farm a half hour away. I do not have the time with the weather and time change to even work her on a regular basis if I wanted to. And I definitely cannot afford to send her away to a trainer to get legged up in hopes of someone wanting to try her at that time.

I'm looking for guidance as to how to find her a great new home that she deserves. She will definitely need an experienced rider because she does have a big motor and a few spooky quirks, but she also rides around like a reiner at times when in shape, and is extremely athletic. Ive made sure to put on the best foundation possible. She had a small skull fracture over 5 years ago, but is completely healed up and never had issues since. So idk if that is scaring people off?

I just dont know how to get rid of her with dignity. Do I just keep lowering her price? Do I put make offer? I'm trying so hard not to let my emotions get to me on this, and I've ever only sold 1 horse before so I'm super green at this. I just want her to have a good home that can put her back to work on a regular basis.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridejg
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2018-11-05 1:06 PM (#7412459 - in reply to #7412457)
Subject: RE: How to sell/ get rid of a decent horse

I would not use the term "How to get rid of her" ...ever...that does not help you or her in anyway.
Be honest, but build her up in every way possible. Maximize her positive traits.
Is there a trainer/broker that you could send her to, that would help you sell her, for a percentage of the sale?

RunNitroRun
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2018-11-05 2:00 PM (#7412463 - in reply to #7412457)

Elite Veteran

If you have had her advertised and haven't had any interest either your ad is not well written showing off her best qualities or shes overpriced for what your local market is going for.

A 16 year old mare with amazing bloodlines is only great if you're a breeder willing to take her and breed her. Personally, I'm only concerned about bloodlines when I'm looking at upcoming prospects or I'm looking at broodmares. Once they are passed the age of 10 I want to know if they are proven in their disciplines. A 16 year old maiden mare that is well bred is nice but unless she's got some statistics to back up her abilities I'd consider her in the same area as a trail horse.

If you have to sell her and you can't send her somewhere then you need to make some time to ride her and get some decent videos of her doing whatever she does best. A half hour away is a rather short distance to travel to make some extra money on her. If you don't have the time for that then you need to look at her as a trail level mare for an experienced rider and reduce her price to what is listed in the market in your area.

It all comes down to how quickly you want this mare moved.

OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2018-11-05 2:28 PM (#7412465 - in reply to #7412457)

Married to a Louie Lover

75% of the ads I read anymore make me not really want to do business with the person.

They’re poorly written, make it sound like they’re doing the world a huge favor selling the horse, etc.

If it starts with “I can’t believe I’m actually doing this” or “I never thought I’d sell her” I generally stop reading.

stayceem
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2018-11-05 3:22 PM (#7412470 - in reply to #7412457)

Not Afraid to Work

I agree with a lot of what is posted. Most important thing I agree with is find someone local who can put some time on her and get her back into shape and her brain back to work so she presents well at showings. Offer them a portion of the sale.

I helped a friend who had moved out of state but her horse remained here. I took the horse, found a jockey (this horse was too small for me) and I hauled it and got her entered. Took videos, advertised her correctly and she got full asking price. I got a portion of the sale. It wasn't much and honestly I loved the horse so I wanted to see her go to a good home.

For comparison, this was a well-bred, finished horse that did all the playday events. More of a 3D barrel horse but killer pole horse. She was small and did tie-up if not fed a specific way. She still sold for $8500 and I believe she was 14 at the time. However, if she had sold her from her parents pasture... she would have been lucky to get $2500.
Whiteboy
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2018-11-05 3:56 PM (#7412471 - in reply to #7412457)

Military family

That's White "Man" to You

Give her to a breeder in exchange for a foal down the road when your life settles down.   
needmocash
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2018-11-05 8:52 PM (#7412491 - in reply to #7412457)

What are her bloodlines?
jd&ez
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-11-06 6:21 AM (#7412505 - in reply to #7412457)

Expert

Queenie07 - 2018-11-05 12:48 PM I have a 16 year old mare. She's a drop dead gorgeous mare and has amazing bloodlines. I've had her since she has been 6, trained her just about everything. She has been sitting the past few years, so I have little to show for what she is capable of. Long story short my goals and priorities are changing (starting a family soon), and I just need to take a break from horses because I know i cant physically or financially commit to what she deserves. I held on for so long hoping that things would get better, but I'm finally to the bridge of cutting my losses and hoping to find a good home for her. I had her posted for $4,500 which I felt was a fair price, but didnt get any interest other than wow she's pretty. She is at my family's farm a half hour away. I do not have the time with the weather and time change to even work her on a regular basis if I wanted to. And I definitely cannot afford to send her away to a trainer to get legged up in hopes of someone wanting to try her at that time. I'm looking for guidance as to how to find her a great new home that she deserves. She will definitely need an experienced rider because she does have a big motor and a few spooky quirks, but she also rides around like a reiner at times when in shape, and is extremely athletic. Ive made sure to put on the best foundation possible. She had a small skull fracture over 5 years ago, but is completely healed up and never had issues since. So idk if that is scaring people off? I just dont know how to get rid of her with dignity. Do I just keep lowering her price? Do I put make offer? I'm trying so hard not to let my emotions get to me on this, and I've ever only sold 1 horse before so I'm super green at this. I just want her to have a good home that can put her back to work on a regular basis.

How long since you last competed and how much did she win? If she was a winner the competitors will remember. We got calls for years wanting our horses when we quit showing.  And we didn't want to get rid of ours. They were 18 and 16 when we stopped and both geldings.

If the horse wasn't competive wjen you did compete and you have pretty much said she's not a kid's starter horse then she's overpriced. And riding like a reiner is not a good thing for a barrel horse.

The skull fracture is probably not a big deal if fully healed but how she got it might be? Freak accident? OK, no problem, those happen. But if she's bad in the trailer and hit her head in an episode or if she's a fighter and got it in a fight, those are huge red flags.

People will beat your door down to buy a good horse at $4500. If she's truly a good horse then let your former competitors know she's for sale. They will sel her for you by word of mouth.  
BamaCanChaser
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2018-11-06 8:35 AM (#7412513 - in reply to #7412457)

Expert

I see "amazing bloodlines" pretty often in sale ads. The horse will have something like Doc Bar 4 generations back.

How is she bred? Does she have the current trendy barrel lines on her papers? If not, then she's not going to bring much based on just papers alone.

You said she is trained in nearly everything, but how did she perform? Do you have any stats/results to show what she's capable of? Even if they're from a few years ago.

Pictures sell horses. Make sure you have good quality conformation shots.

Not willing to provide any current videos is a huge red flag to me. I won't waste my time coming out to see a horse if the owner can't be bothered to take 30 minutes to clean their horse up and get a video at least putting them through the basics.

Based on just the info you have provided I feel that she is overpriced.
Queenie07
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2018-11-06 9:38 AM (#7412521 - in reply to #7412457)

Veteran

Her sire was PC Mack Frost who is out of Sun Frost.

The skull fracture was freak accident in the pasture, think she was kicked or ran into t post? My mom found her with a bloody face.

I was just starting to get her loping good and figuring out her buttons when I had a family tradigity that shook me hard and I just didnt want to ride, then about a year later she got the fracture and had a year off. Then after that I was so busy and just didnt have the money to haul her after vet Bill's and my truck engine blowing up. So mainly just occasionally trail rode and worked on her foundational skills in our arena that's a field.

She is so smart where I can pull her out after sitting for a long time and she collects right up and is just as soft n supple as I left her. I did have recent videos of where she was loping at a few shows with only a month and half riding this summer to show how she picked it back up so quickly. She loves being the center of attention at shows, that's why shes so fun when I can take her places.
stayceem
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2018-11-06 2:04 PM (#7412555 - in reply to #7412521)

Not Afraid to Work

Queenie07 - 2018-11-06 9:38 AM

Her sire was PC Mack Frost who is out of Sun Frost.

The skull fracture was freak accident in the pasture, think she was kicked or ran into t post? My mom found her with a bloody face.

I was just starting to get her loping good and figuring out her buttons when I had a family tradigity that shook me hard and I just didnt want to ride, then about a year later she got the fracture and had a year off. Then after that I was so busy and just didnt have the money to haul her after vet Bill's and my truck engine blowing up. So mainly just occasionally trail rode and worked on her foundational skills in our arena that's a field.

She is so smart where I can pull her out after sitting for a long time and she collects right up and is just as soft n supple as I left her. I did have recent videos of where she was loping at a few shows with only a month and half riding this summer to show how she picked it back up so quickly. She loves being the center of attention at shows, that's why shes so fun when I can take her places.

Whats her maternal side?

Based on her training level, she is mostly broke then? Not seasoned or finished in anything. That does make a big difference as far as value at 16.
Queenie07
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2018-11-06 2:39 PM (#7412560 - in reply to #7412457)

Veteran

Correct, she's definitely broke. I'd say fat and a little rusty fancy broke. Just not much done on a barrel pattern. But she loves the little bit I have done on barrels. When I say whoa she's sitting and turning. She rates fairly well too considering the little experience.

Her dam is Glimmer of Gus. They she has Yonder He Goes, Lassie's Go Man to name a few on her dam's side.
JLazyT_perf_horses
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2018-11-06 2:48 PM (#7412562 - in reply to #7412457)

Elite Veteran

In the area I'm in this type of horse is about $2000-2500. Basically trail horse, lightly started on the pattern. At 16 and not finished, 95% of the population is going to move on. No matter the breeding, unless its a daughter of something hot right now that someone wants to breed which is going to be your other 5%. Especially this time of year, prices are going down. People don't want to feed them all winter. I would just take what you can get and move on
Nateracer
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2018-11-06 3:20 PM (#7412567 - in reply to #7412457)

Miss Laundry Misshap

16 is a hard age to sell unless the horse is proven.  1/2 the world seems to think 16 has a hoof in the grave.  The other 1/2 want a horse that's been there, done that with stats to prove it, Kid safe, etc.  You know...the unicorns of the world. 

Pretty will get you a couple hundred bucks in the trail horse world.  Her bloodlines are decent. But they aren't anything to really write home about for breeding purposes without the credentials showing she's proven.  
At the auction barn she'd probably bring around 2500 around here if she rides nice and is pretty.  That's a big probably. Outright, people will want around 2K.

Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2018-11-06 4:10 PM (#7412577 - in reply to #7412457)

A Somebody to Everybody

I think her age and not being a finished horse is what is making her hard to sell, shes just 4 years away from being 20 and that scare off people. Its winter almost and no one is really buying unless its running and finished.. I think you are picking the wrong time of the year to try to sell her. 
r_beau
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2018-11-06 6:11 PM (#7412584 - in reply to #7412560)

Born not Made

Queenie07 - 2018-11-06 2:39 PM Correct, she's definitely broke. I'd say fat and a little rusty fancy broke. Just not much done on a barrel pattern. But she loves the little bit I have done on barrels. When I say whoa she's sitting and turning. She rates fairly well too considering the little experience. Her dam is Glimmer of Gus. They she has Yonder He Goes, Lassie's Go Man to name a few on her dam's side.

For a 16-yr-old mare who currently needs a tune up and is out of shape, and previously was only "riding broke" (not shown in reining or any other event, not finished or even seasoned on barrels), in my area $4,500 would be priced too high.   JMO.
horsegirl
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2018-11-07 8:00 AM (#7412611 - in reply to #7412584)

The One

r_beau - 2018-11-06 7:11 PM
Queenie07 - 2018-11-06 2:39 PM Correct, she's definitely broke. I'd say fat and a little rusty fancy broke. Just not much done on a barrel pattern. But she loves the little bit I have done on barrels. When I say whoa she's sitting and turning. She rates fairly well too considering the little experience. Her dam is Glimmer of Gus. They she has Yonder He Goes, Lassie's Go Man to name a few on her dam's side.
For a 16-yr-old mare who currently needs a tune up and is out of shape, and previously was only "riding broke" (not shown in reining or any other event, not finished or even seasoned on barrels), in my area $4,500 would be priced too high.   JMO.
Same. And you may unknowingly sound as if you don't quite care much for the mare in your ad wording and communication with prospective buyers. Even your title on this thread "get rid of a decent horse," a makes me feel as if you just want her gone and have little regard for her. "Get rid" and "Decent" jump out to me. Wording and tone convey a lot!  

I'd personally think more in the 2-3k range given the whole situation. But I tend to be frugal and that is just me.

Edited by horsegirl 2018-11-07 8:03 AM
Queenie07
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2018-11-07 8:31 AM (#7412612 - in reply to #7412457)

Veteran

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have a friend who is interested in playing with her over the winter for me and if she doesn't buy her, I will send her to a friend come spring to help me get her sold. She is definitely my baby and this has been hard for me, but definitely helped.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software