Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
HERDA positive question..
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-12-10 8:44 AM
25 replies, 1323 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OregonBR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2018-12-05 10:18 AM (#7415507 - in reply to #7415505)
Subject: RE: HERDA positive question..

Military family

Champ

casualdust07 - 2018-12-05 8:11 AM

zansbeunogal_2268 - 2018-12-05 9:25 AM

OregonBR - 2018-12-04 9:46 AM

I don't feel breeding a horse that is Hrd/Hrd is any big deal. You will need to A-I her though. As any type of trauma to the skin would be very bad. There are 5546546951654651653 horses with one copy of herda who are perfectly fine and will not have any symptoms of that disorder. Just make SURE the other side of the mating is N/N for herda.

I'll grab some pics of her today!
we don't 100 percent understand how the genes pass on...

We have been researching it and there are alot of horses out there with one gene.

for example my broodmare is 5 panel negative, and there is a stud that i like and he is 4 panel negative but for herda he is hrd/n, so he will still pass the gene on to the colt? but not have the slouching skin? (after this I'm really gunshy, I'm just sticking to 5 panel negative studs)

if she is hrd/hrd will she not potentially pass the skin defect onto the colt even if the stud is 5 panel negative?

a couple factors go into her decision, she cant afford to keep and manage a horse with this condition just as a companion, as much as she would love too she just cant afford it.

and if there is any chance of her passing this onto her colts she doesn't want that either, she is in the business to train and sell and doesn't want anyone to go through the same decision she is going through right now.

For your example of the 5 panel negative mare and the hrd/N stallion- the stallion has a 50% chance of passing the HERDA copy to the foal, and a 50% chance of not passing it.

For your question if shes hrd/hrd she will always pass one copy of the gene to her offspring. If bred to an N/N stallion, the foals will all be carriers but none will show clinical signs. If she breeds to a stallion who is a carrier, she has a chance of creating a hrd/hrd symptomatic foal.

It takes two copies to show clinical signs of disease.

This ^^^

I would rather breed a homozygous Hrd mare than I would two N/Hrd horses. You know for a fact that if the one parent is Hrd/Hrd, they WILL pass one copy on. If bred to a N/N horse that's the only outcome there can be. If you breed two N/Hrd horses, that's when you might get a homozygous foal (25% of the time). I would not take the chance of getting a Hrd/Hrd horse.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
zansbeunogal_2268
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2018-12-05 10:49 AM (#7415510 - in reply to #7415507)

Extreme Veteran

OregonBR - 2018-12-05 10:18 AM

I don't feel breeding a horse that is Hrd/Hrd is any big deal. You will need to A-I her though. As any type of trauma to the skin would be very bad. There are 5546546951654651653 horses with one copy of herda who are perfectly fine and will not have any symptoms of that disorder. Just make SURE the other side of the mating is N/N for herda.

We have been researching it and there are alot of horses out there with one gene.

for example my broodmare is 5 panel negative, and there is a stud that i like and he is 4 panel negative but for herda he is hrd/n, so he will still pass the gene on to the colt? but not have the slouching skin? (after this I'm really gunshy, I'm just sticking to 5 panel negative studs)

if she is hrd/hrd will she not potentially pass the skin defect onto the colt even if the stud is 5 panel negative?

a couple factors go into her decision, she cant afford to keep and manage a horse with this condition just as a companion, as much as she would love too she just cant afford it.

and if there is any chance of her passing this onto her colts she doesn't want that either, she is in the business to train and sell and doesn't want anyone to go through the same decision she is going through right now.

For your example of the 5 panel negative mare and the hrd/N stallion- the stallion has a 50% chance of passing the HERDA copy to the foal, and a 50% chance of not passing it.

For your question if shes hrd/hrd she will always pass one copy of the gene to her offspring. If bred to an N/N stallion, the foals will all be carriers but none will show clinical signs. If she breeds to a stallion who is a carrier, she has a chance of creating a hrd/hrd symptomatic foal.

This ^^^

I would rather breed a homozygous Hrd mare than I would two N/Hrd horses. You know for a fact that if the one parent is Hrd/Hrd, they WILL pass one copy on. If bred to a N/N horse that's the only outcome there can be. If you breed two N/Hrd horses, that's when you might get a homozygous foal (25% of the time). I would not take the chance of getting a Hrd/Hrd horse.

oh thank you for the reply! she doesn't have a login so she will be happy to hear this!
and just because they have one gene doesn't mean it will affect the colt?
OregonBR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2018-12-05 11:39 AM (#7415517 - in reply to #7414689)

Military family

Champ

Correct. Herda is recessive. It only affects an animal that has two copies. One from each parent. An animal with one copy will never have an adverse affect from it. That's the nature of recessive genes.
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2018-12-05 12:40 PM (#7415522 - in reply to #7415510)

You get what you give

zansbeunogal_2268 - 2018-12-05 10:49 AM

OregonBR - 2018-12-05 10:18 AM

This ^^^

oh thank you for the reply! she doesn't have a login so she will be happy to hear this!
and just because they have one gene doesn't mean it will affect the colt?

In this particular disease, one gene will not cause clinical signs. HERDA is a recessive disease, which means it only shows signs if the horse inherits two copies of the disease. Not all genetic diseases are recessive. For example, HYPP and PSSM1 are dominant diseases, where only one copy is required to cause clinical signs.

Edited by casualdust07 2018-12-05 12:41 PM
RockyMountainRacer
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2018-12-10 6:38 AM (#7415928 - in reply to #7414689)

Regular

In Quarter Horses, there are five prevalent genetic diseases.
PSSM
HERDA
GBED
HYPP
MH

PSSM, HYPP, and MH are dominant. This means a horse only needs one copy of the gene to be symptomatic (although some horses with PSSM never show noticeable symptoms- doesn't mean they don't have the disease or that they won't pass it on).
HERDA and GBED are recessive. A horse needs two copies of the gene to express the disease. You sometimes have HERDA positive horses (like yours) but will never find a horse with two copies for GBED. Horses with GBED will die in utero or shortly after birth.
If bred to a stallion that does not have any copies for HERDA, the foal will not be symptomatic. But the probability of it being a carrier is 100% because it got that copy of the gene from the dam.
So she CAN breed the mare and have a healthy foal, but it means she will need to take a ton of precautions to make sure the mare is not in pain (including AI). It's not an ethical decision if it hurts the mare. She will also likely incur judgement of others- I myself don't see a problem as long as the mare is not uncomfortable and she tells buyers of the foal that it is a HERDA carrier. But some people are adamantly against breeding Hrd/Hrd horses.
Turnburnsis
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2018-12-10 8:44 AM (#7415941 - in reply to #7414689)

Elite Veteran

Wow I have never heard of these diseases until the last 2 years! and now Im hearing bout HERDA! I cant imagine having a horse skin coming off! how in the world do you manage that! Sometimes God blesses the ignorant! Meaning me! I had a mare that I loved and when she could no longer run I bred her and I picked the stallion by his looks and how he was bred! and I never had cameras and so forth. Course Im not in the breeding business nor do I desire to breed another! I was very blessed with what I got! These diseases and tests and everything is so stressful! Don't get me wrong I know diseases exist and so forth but I didn't think how to breed to prevent. My bad! But that's one of the things I like bout BHW because you can learn! Praying for your friend's horse! You definitely made me more aware!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software