Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Scammers trying to buy your stuff

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-01-14 8:07 AM
19 replies, 1244 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

Goluckslegend
Reg. Dec 2018
Posted 2018-12-16 3:46 PM
Subject: Scammers trying to buy your stuff

boon

Hello. This is my first time here and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with scammers sending texts and emails to buy something like a saddle. I put one on here and have had nothing but scammers. It makes me mad as i pay for it and am just getting crappy replies. Thanks in advance??
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2018-12-16 4:04 PM
Subject: RE: Scammers trying to buy your stuff

A Somebody to Everybody

Goluckslegend - 2018-12-16 3:46 PM Hello. This is my first time here and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with scammers sending texts and emails to buy something like a saddle. I put one on here and have had nothing but scammers. It makes me mad as i pay for it and am just getting crappy replies. Thanks in advance??

I feel your pain, but the scammers have been at this for many years, you just have to learn who the scammers are, BUTTT they are getting really good at sounding like a buyer. Theres been a few I thought were the real deal but the more you talk to them you can get the feel of them. Good luck  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Goluckslegend
Reg. Dec 2018
Posted 2018-12-16 4:54 PM

boon

I find that they are very foreign. They use words like kindly and agent. You know immediately that they are not for real. It is very frustrating tho thats for sure. Ive reported them and hope they get caught.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2018-12-16 5:23 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

Goluckslegend - 2018-12-16 4:54 PM I find that they are very foreign. They use words like kindly and agent. You know immediately that they are not for real. It is very frustrating tho thats for sure. Ive reported them and hope they get caught.

They are over sea's so they have a different tone to their way of talking/emailing. I never respond to them if I think I am dealing with a scammer.. 
And Welcome to the Board  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
hlc84
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2018-12-16 7:20 PM

I’ve used bhw before but I am so disappointed that the ad I just paid $25 has gotten NOTHING but scammer responses. Not one single legitimate inquiry. Guess I’ll stick to FB from now on.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Timber Creek
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2018-12-16 9:38 PM

Expert

hlc84 - 2018-12-16 7:20 PM I’ve used bhw before but I am so disappointed that the ad I just paid $25 has gotten NOTHING but scammer responses. Not one single legitimate inquiry. Guess I’ll stick to FB from now on.

Yep me too. Who tells you they want to buy the item you have for sale and doesn’t ask any questions. I replied to the last one and told him to send me $2,000 cash and I would kindly arrange shipping.  Fingers crossed I get a little Christmas cash lol!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Goluckslegend
Reg. Dec 2018
Posted 2018-12-16 9:46 PM

boon

Lol. They told me they would send an agent to my home tompick up the saddle. I told them to go blank themselves. Haha
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ShackinBarrelRacer
Reg. Dec 2017
Posted 2018-12-17 8:18 AM

With this many complaints - they should really look in to encryption of information. One would think that paying for an ad would keep away the scammers - nope scam emails and texts are all I got for my $25.00 Even free Craigslist is set up to keep the scammers at bay.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
angelica
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2018-12-17 10:34 AM

I Really Love Jeans

I sold a horse on here back in 2014 within one week of listing her. However I did get multiple scammers emailing me. I also got a few private messages criticizing me and saying the horse was overpriced and would not sell. I even got cussed out because I sold her before a lady could try her, she had never arranged a time to come out she was just offended someone got the horse first. The horse sold fast but it was a pain how crazy people were acting, it was the first horse I had sold in ten years so it was interesting to say the least!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
r_beau
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2018-12-17 11:19 AM

Born not Made

Goluckslegend - 2018-12-16 3:46 PM Hello. This is my first time here and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with scammers sending texts and emails to buy something like a saddle. I put one on here and have had nothing but scammers. It makes me mad as i pay for it and am just getting crappy replies. Thanks in advance??

Yes and I've complained to BHW ads before and nothing has been done.

You have to fill out the "are you a real person" text box before you can contact BHW ads, but funny they can't simply make the same requirement before contacting someone with a tack ad.

When I had my saddle listed, I lost count of how many spam emails I got. It was ridiculous. Also, having a phone number listed out in the open like the ads do, is perfect for "spam crawlers" to get your phone number and get you added to the spam phone calls. I do think the BHW ads could use a makeover .... and I've emailed them these thoughts.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
got boost?
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2018-12-17 1:45 PM

Loves to compete

angelica - 2018-12-17 8:34 AM I sold a horse on here back in 2014 within one week of listing her. However I did get multiple scammers emailing me. I also got a few private messages criticizing me and saying the horse was overpriced and would not sell. I even got cussed out because I sold her before a lady could try her, she had never arranged a time to come out she was just offended someone got the horse first. The horse sold fast but it was a pain how crazy people were acting, it was the first horse I had sold in ten years so it was interesting to say the least!

this is soo funny.  I sold a very nice trail horse last September (retired cutter that won over 120,000)  best feet, bone disposition, user friendly gentle.........on dreamhorse and someone kept lecturing me how he would never sell on dream horse, don't waste my time or money.......... and if I would feed him all winter she would lowball me in the spring she told me this on the phone when she called about him.  My best friends Aunt.............lol  so I blocked her on facebook after she kept commenting on his ad.  It was so weird.......the thing is she is really nice in person.  lol  I sold that sucker to the most awesome home before the picture came out on dreamhorse............ its amazing what people have to comment about.......the typing board is power I guess..........funny thing is Ive seen her since then and she is just as nice as ever...................weirdo..........if I didn't know her I would of told her on the phone if you cant afford to feed a horse through the winter you can't afford a vet bill if it comes up......................I would of told my best friend what happened except she is going through the crappiest divorce and its ugly so I figure I would just keep it to myself ..........
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Goluckslegend
Reg. Dec 2018
Posted 2018-12-18 5:09 PM

boon

Yes i think it smart not to give out phone or email and they can just comment on the ad itself. I wont do it again thats for sure! lol
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Peewee212
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2019-01-03 6:39 PM

Extreme Veteran

This doesn't work with all sites, but have found if you change up your phone number
for example use 888-432-eight2four1, this will help. Its like they have a computer that can go through and read our legit numbers and this will throw it off some. Obviously not going to work for email addresses.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
hootiehoo29
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2019-01-04 3:51 PM

Veteran

I got the same thing when I listed my ad also. 2 scammers and no legitimate real responses. Ugh. Its frustrating.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
MOGirl07
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2019-01-04 11:13 PM

Elite Veteran

Goluckslegend - 2018-12-16 9:46 PM

Lol. They told me they would send an agent to my home tompick up the saddle. I told them to go blank themselves. Haha

I feel like all the scammers have an 'agent.' It's such a dead giveaway when I see that in an email.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
sport565
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2019-01-05 4:29 PM

Extreme Veteran

Well, I was thinking maybe this site would be better than Facebook, guess I thought wrong. I just don’t want to bantering back and forth with comments, guess I could just say pm or Text me. Thought maybe there would be some people that knew horses and bloodlines
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-01-07 7:17 PM

Warrior Mom

I've got a few I've listed on saddle sites on Facebook and I have 1 guy who insists I need to call him on the phone to discuss my saddle. I dont want to talk to this guy on the phone it's a sketchy looking number to me. Now he keeps asking for the serial number on my saddles. Could be legit but my gut tells me differently. I've bought and sold several saddles on Facebook and this one just seems off.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Yearly
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2019-01-08 3:02 PM

I had a gal that wanted to make a couple payments on a saddle, but just wanted to send me the money through friends and family on PayPal. I told her I wanted to do it through the regular ole way on PayPal so that way everybody was protected in case something happened. She totally threw a fit. I was willing to pay all the fees, dropped the price of the saddle, billed her the way she wanted me to bill her and then got the run around for a month. I knew something was off with her and lost out on a couple of sales because I told them that I had it sold already. Not sure if it is a new way for people to get your money or not, but now more than every I guess we need to listen to our gut feelings! Still have the saddle for sale too!! :(
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
TXBarrelRacer84
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2019-01-11 11:10 AM

Extreme Veteran

I have two emails over my ad on here in my inbox, and I'm almost sure they're scammers. They are asking for pictures, price, and description which are all in the ad. One asked if I take Paypal, so that is suspcious and one has a generated [insert text asking about product here] that they didn't delete. Frustrating for sure and like you said especially when you pay for an ad. I guess there might not be a way for BHW to stop them from scamming people who post.  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
jettster
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2019-01-14 8:07 AM

...Dot Dot Dot...

Goluckslegend - 2018-12-17 3:54 PM

I find that they are very foreign. They use words like kindly and agent. You know immediately that they are not for real. It is very frustrating tho thats for sure. Ive reported them and hope they get caught.

so how do I stop this? Now I'm getting emails with the same wording... Kindly and my agent will pick it up... And sending you cashier's check back in what's the last price? How do I get them to stop!?
I have my 4 Star trailer listed on here thinking I was going to reach the right kind of buyers.. Obviously I might be mistaken.

Edited by jettster 2019-01-14 6:07 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software