Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Rodeoing without a living quarters trailer?

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-01-27 7:57 AM
51 replies, 3672 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

SuperTrooper
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2019-01-14 9:45 AM
Subject: RE: Rodeoing without a living quarters trailer?

Elite Veteran

I don't rodeo but my show circuit has rodeos and the shows are 3.5-6 hours away almost every wkd in the summer, so I usually stay all wkd. I have a two horse bumper pull and I manage. I want a lq but it isnt in the cards right now. I have bought a solar shower to shower in the horse sectiom with a big plastuc tub to catch the water. There are porta potties at the show but I usually pee in the horse shavings in the back. The dressing room is insulated and seperate from.the horse section and has a screen door. I have a bed with a single matress with a shelf and extra storage underneath. I have too much storage so I will lower the bed this year, and it will be like a couch in the day.

(bed1.jpg)

(bed2.jpg)

(bed3.jpg)

(bed4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bed1.jpg (60KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments bed2.jpg (42KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments bed3.jpg (54KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments bed4.jpg (53KB - 6 downloads)
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
k.maddocks24
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2019-01-15 3:05 PM

Extreme Veteran

mtcanchazer - 2019-01-04 9:54 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I can see that there will be quite a few tricks here I can use! I'm going to try to stay within limits where I won't have to stay overnight too much and can head home, but I know that isn't always possible.

To the person who had the mega cab...I had no idea the bed thing in the back was possible...that is awesome!

This might be better under another post, but because I want to try to not spend a whole bunch of money eating out, any tips on non-perishible foods to bring? I'm not cheap, but I figure if I save money eating out I can enter more races and rodeos! LOL. 

Starkist makes these "Tuna Creations" pouches with all kinds of different flavoring/seasonings - garlic & herb, lemon pepper, tuna salad, spicy Thai, etc. They also recently started offering "Chicken Creations" pouches too - chicken salad, lemon pepper, buffalo chicken, etc. They're shelf stable and healthy too! I actually keep a few in my desk drawer for a backup lunch! Pack some rice cakes, crackers, tortillas/wraps or buns/bread and voila!
Peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter and apples, granola bars, bananas, almonds or mixed nuts are all easy things to pack that don't have to be kept cold
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Rolling J
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2019-01-16 11:34 AM

Dancing in my Mind

My daughter HS rodeos and our trailer does not have LQ's. It is a Gooseneck though and we make it work. Honestly, I would love to have a newer truck any day over a trailer with LQ's! I threw an air mattress in the gooseneck, for me, and my husband built bunk beds, for my daughter and our stuff. We have plenty of storage on top of the bunk bed and underneath. We run a heavy duty extension cord through the window for lights, heat, fans, chargers...

Invested in good coolers, keep meals simple... don't mind our trailer at all. Has worked for years for us.

I do admit though for our November and early March rodeos (we only have 2) we rent a hotel room because our trailer is not insulated.

Edited by Rolling J 2019-01-16 11:37 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
mtcanchazer
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2019-01-17 2:12 PM

Total Germophobe

Thanks for more great ideas! Can't wait for rodeo season.  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Queenie07
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2019-01-18 5:21 AM

Veteran

I love all these ideas! When I did 4-H and hs rodeo my parents had a camper that set on top of the pickup and we pulled a bumper pull (or a boat to go camping lol).

The only thing I would encourage everyone to get is a carbon monoxide detector. They are small like a fire alarm, and you can easily move them around. I've seen you many scary situations from horse trailers to hotels with carbon monoxide. A friend of mine at state finals wouldn't have made it along with her mom had her sister not come to wake them up to get ready for rodeo queen stuff. And they had a fancy living quarters! My mom was even affected at our old house in the basement. You just never know. Best security for a couple dollars.

Good Luck to everyone in 2019!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
redmansmyman11
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2019-01-18 12:18 PM

Expert

Food wise I've learned to meal prep and freeze things. Spaghetti freezes well, so do most casseroles, soups etc. Whatever I want for dinner that night gets set out somewhere to thaw if its still frozen solid and I have a little two burner propane stove and one big stock pot I heat it up in. I also make coffee on the stove. This summer I camped for 7 days with one medium size cooler, my propane stove was down so I heated everything on the fire. I took one bag of ice and still had good cold and some frozen food at the end of the week. You would be surprised how well a block of frozen spaghetti works for ice
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ctdrumrunr
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-01-18 6:11 PM

No Name Nancy

I have a 2h gooseneck, we insulated it and put in elec, and boot box for storage. I have a porta potti and a wicker baby changing table with 3 drawers on one side and an empty space on the other. I have a portable fan and a tower heater. I could use a hot plate, toaster and an electric teapot ( hot water). A cooler with ice and I am good to go for a weekend.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OldSchoolCowgirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2019-01-20 2:30 PM

Truck Stops (and 18 wheeler accessory places) sell lots of neat things that plug into the 12v dealie in your truck. Things to heat up food, water, keep things cold etc.
Check them out! I was amazed.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BFN
Reg. Sep 2015
Posted 2019-01-21 1:34 PM

Veteran

I have a topper on the bed of my truck...LOTS of space for me and my two dogs {bark bark} and it keeps things dry. Found it on Craigslist - huge savings.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-01-21 2:15 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

OldSchoolCowgirl - 2019-01-20 2:30 PM Truck Stops (and 18 wheeler accessory places) sell lots of neat things that plug into the 12v dealie in your truck. Things to heat up food, water, keep things cold etc. Check them out! I was amazed.

What a good ideal to check truck stops, I would have never thought of that, I always just checked out sporting goods stores and Wal-Mart in their camping supply area. 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BFN
Reg. Sep 2015
Posted 2019-01-22 3:15 PM

Veteran

I use truck stops a lot for showers.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
TSlashO
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2019-01-27 7:57 AM

Veteran

A good cooler is a must. I like using freezer packs rather than ice. I used to get big ones from work that were used to keep medications cool during shipments. They were square and made of foam. Worked great to line the cooler. No melting ice that way. Baby wipes in that cooler are the best this ever on a hot dirty day. Deorderant, a little body spray, dry shampoo and baby wipes are a great way to spit bath you through a weekend. I cannot live without my Heat Buddy propane heater to take the chill off. We have a little single propane burner and a coffee pot that is very nice to have in the mornings. I also cooked eggs on it and got some pre cooked sausage patties, heated it in the pan and put it on a biscuit. Breakfast sandwich! My in laws have a nice little portable propane grill that great for cooking. It's very handy and doesnt take up much space. A good mattress, real one if it fits, is best. You will freeze your butt off on an air mattress and they are always deflating. A good sleeping bad is nice too. My husband has a range Teepee. It's very fast and easy to set up. We got to chair cots from Costco. Very comfy and keeps you off the ground. They fit in the teepee.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software