Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Head Shaking & Other Bad Habits
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-01-09 3:33 PM
9 replies, 448 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TMEquine
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2019-01-06 11:02 AM (#7418198)
Subject: Head Shaking & Other Bad Habits

Mouhahaha

I have a now 5 year old mare that I boarded away from home this time last year. She had never had any vices prior and was always turned out on pasture, easy to catch, load, tie, etc.

After 1 month at th boarding facility I noticed massive weight loss (she had free choice hay, was penned alone with a neighbour and was grained 2x day), she began shaking her head (up and down) with alot of force on a regular basis. She began refusing a rider at the mounting block, crow hopping on occasion and sweating profusely just tacked up.

I brought her home, turned her out and gave her 2months to "get her head back". She seemed great, nearly back to herself after her time off, then fall came and she was penned at home due to an injury and all of those bad habits have come back. She has become highly reactive to everything.

She is fed free choice 50/50 hay (barely touches it), hoffman's Elite, 2tbl spoons magnesium and equine choice probiotics daily.

Everything I read about head shaking suggests a neurological disorder, however it does not happen when turned out on pasture.??

She is Royal Shake Em x Check Him Out, so very running bred. ??

Edited by TMEquine 2019-01-06 11:06 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
veintiocho
Reg. Sep 2015
Posted 2019-01-06 11:59 AM (#7418199 - in reply to #7418198)
Subject: RE: Head Shaking & Other Bad Habits

Elite Veteran

I would start with getting her teeth done by a professional and chiro work done. Have her teeth ever been done?

Edited by veintiocho 2019-01-06 12:00 PM
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-01-06 1:23 PM (#7418203 - in reply to #7418198)

A Somebody to Everybody

Sounds like a TMJ issue.. Have her checked for it. 
Gator Bug
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-01-06 2:36 PM (#7418206 - in reply to #7418203)

Extreme Veteran

There is head shaking syndrome as well. It's a cranial nerve condition.  They call it Trigeminal-Mediated Headshaking Syndrome. It has something to do with the Trigeminal nerve in the face.

My friend's Eventer has it. Super nice Eventer. He developed it at about 12-13YO. Just out of the blue! Drove her nuts trying to figure it out! His head shaking was violent and looked almost involuntary. The head shaking was up/down....in the stall, pasture, trailer...didn't matter. He was unridable. He dropped quite a bit of weight too. Her vet explained it as like the horse is having a migraine feeling. Very painful. His was most likely triggered by allergies as it happened to him in the Spring. There are all kinds of reasons/triggers for it though. 

If you Google 'horse head shaking syndrome' there is an article by Practical Horseman about 3 down, just under the videos.

Hope that helps some. I had never heard of it until my friend had to deal with it. His is way worse in the Spring, but he has it year-round. And as I said, came on out of nowhere and can have several reasons/triggers. 

Edited by Gator Bug 2019-01-06 3:16 PM
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2019-01-06 9:17 PM (#7418234 - in reply to #7418198)

Take a Picture

Sort of sounds like someone slapped the horse to make them get back while feeding or cleaning the stall.
KKCOWGIRL
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2019-01-07 8:26 AM (#7418249 - in reply to #7418206)

SHOOT IT

Gator Bug - 2019-01-06 2:36 PM There is head shaking syndrome as well. It's a cranial nerve condition.  They call it Trigeminal-Mediated Headshaking Syndrome. It has something to do with the Trigeminal nerve in the face.

My friend's Eventer has it. Super nice Eventer. He developed it at about 12-13YO. Just out of the blue! Drove her nuts trying to figure it out! His head shaking was violent and looked almost involuntary. The head shaking was up/down....in the stall, pasture, trailer...didn't matter. He was unridable. He dropped quite a bit of weight too. Her vet explained it as like the horse is having a migraine feeling. Very painful. His was most likely triggered by allergies as it happened to him in the Spring. There are all kinds of reasons/triggers for it though. 

If you Google 'horse head shaking syndrome' there is an article by Practical Horseman about 3 down, just under the videos.

Hope that helps some. I had never heard of it until my friend had to deal with it. His is way worse in the Spring, but he has it year-round. And as I said, came on out of nowhere and can have several reasons/triggers. 

My horse has 'head shaking syndrome' as well.  I've owned this horse since he was 2 years old and he is now 26.  He started shaking his head 3 years ago, just out of the blue.  Took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with 'head shaking syndrome'.  Not a whole lot of information on it; there is no cure.  I've tried several different things.  I tried the sun blocking mask because head shaking syndrome was originally thought to be an allergy to the sunlight (I think), but the mask didn't help him at all (It made sense though because he NEVER shakes his head at night).  I tried a few other things (options I learned about through researching on the internet).  After dealing with it for 3 years, I have found that feeding magnesium has helped him the best and made him rideable again.  Some days are better than others, but it does seem like the spring and summer are worse than the fall and winter. I did find one website on the internet where some lady has done a lot of reserch on the disease and she recommends giving them dexamethasone (orally) and magnesium.  I did try it and it did work, but the dex had to be given quite frequently and I wasn't real crazy about that.  That's when I switched to just the magnesium and it seems to be a tremendous help.   
cashme
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2019-01-07 10:49 AM (#7418271 - in reply to #7418198)

Regular

There is a very informative page on Facebook called Equine Headshaking Syndrome. There are a ton of people on there with a lot of experience with all types of headshakers.
workerbee
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2019-01-09 12:52 PM (#7418515 - in reply to #7418198)

Extreme Veteran

You can try feeding Lysine. I had a horse that it helped a lot. Google it there is probably some information out there.
slipperyslope
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2019-01-09 2:58 PM (#7418529 - in reply to #7418198)

TMEquine - 2019-01-06 10:02 AM

I have a now 5 year old mare that I boarded away from home this time last year. She had never had any vices prior and was always turned out on pasture, easy to catch, load, tie, etc.

After 1 month at th boarding facility I noticed massive weight loss (she had free choice hay, was penned alone with a neighbour and was grained 2x day), she began shaking her head (up and down) with alot of force on a regular basis. She began refusing a rider at the mounting block, crow hopping on occasion and sweating profusely just tacked up.

I brought her home, turned her out and gave her 2months to "get her head back". She seemed great, nearly back to herself after her time off, then fall came and she was penned at home due to an injury and all of those bad habits have come back. She has become highly reactive to everything.

She is fed free choice 50/50 hay (barely touches it), hoffman's Elite, 2tbl spoons magnesium and equine choice probiotics daily.

Everything I read about head shaking suggests a neurological disorder, however it does not happen when turned out on pasture.??

She is Royal Shake Em x Check Him Out, so very running bred. ??

Yes, head shaking can be neurological. It can be from a few things. BUT with the other things you are describing, I would check into PSSM2. What were the "graining" her with? She is at the ripe age for the symptoms to start appearing & if she was being fed an diet that is bad for them, it would have triggered it more. Now with an injury, it puts them into negative nitrogen balance & the symptoms get worse. When she was turned out on pasture, were you trying to ride her at all? Thinking the way you worded it, you hadn't so it's still very possible that she would have been shaking her head & all the other bad reactive symptoms if you'd tried riding her. My one gelding also had the head shaking along with the other symptoms (became symptomatic at age 6) and even though I have him managed & he's doing pretty well, he still has that "thing" with his head.
LIVE2RUN
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2019-01-09 3:33 PM (#7418537 - in reply to #7418198)

The best bad guy on the internet

Have you checked his ears for ticks?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'