Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Help! Has anyone experienced anything like this with their horse?

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-01-14 3:18 PM
4 replies, 783 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

caparks
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2019-01-12 8:37 AM
Subject: Help! Has anyone experienced anything like this with their horse?

I have a 4 year old that is boarded. I don't like to board but we sold our farm so that's my only option. I have the stall cleaners telling me he "passes himself out" when they go in to put his halter on and turn him out. He's NEVER done anything weird with me when I go in. He does have a cribbing collar on but not tight. The one time a stall cleaner did tighten it without my permission, could he be reacting to this experience? They say he throws his head up and holds his breath till he passes out. Like I said I've NEVER seen him do anything weird with me. I'm suspicious and plan on moving him asap. But I wanna know if anyone's experienced this or could it be he stresses himself out so much when they're there it could be a possibility he does all this?
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
jake16
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2019-01-12 9:21 AM
Subject: RE: Help! Has anyone experienced anything like this with their horse?

Go Get Em!

Until u can move him,put a trail cam in his stall so you can see what's happening.

Edited by jake16 2019-01-12 10:18 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
horsegirl
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2019-01-14 8:24 AM

The One

Very odd.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
workerbee
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2019-01-14 10:04 AM

Extreme Veteran

Can you set up a camera?
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
RunNitroRun
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2019-01-14 3:18 PM

Elite Veteran

I have a boarding facility and what I would suggest is ask the handlers (who probably all have smart phones with video options) to video themselves putting the halter on and his reaction while this happens. Anything (horse, human etc.) holding their breath until they pass out is NOT normal. If they are simply putting his halter on and he's experiencing this issue it should be easy to capture via video and you can then send it to your vet for analysis and recommendations for testing.

I'd ask for them to video, keep a log of when this happens, the times, and what he was doing before. For example does this issue happen only in the morning before he's fed. Does it happen after he'd eaten and is being turned out etc. This is all good information to obtain to report to a vet if they can capture it. You may have something related to low glucose levels or you may have something more serious going on with your horse that requires a full work up.

If you're happy with the facility otherwise I'd be speaking to the owner and the handlers to help you out in determining what is going on and when so you can get your vet involved in determining what is happening.

Best of luck.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software