Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Jess Perry Sons/Corona Cartel Grandget

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-01-22 10:08 AM
19 replies, 910 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

ehwaz
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-12 1:46 PM
Subject: Jess Perry Sons/Corona Cartel Grandget

Does anyone have any experience with own sons of Mr Jess Perry?
Would you purchase one? I have a chance to purchase a 4 year old bred at 6666. He’s out of a race proven Corona Cartel daughter. A friend of mine says MJPs are too fast for the pattern, but I’m not sure if I agree since I don’t have a way of knowing. I always thought they were just too expensive for most non-race industry people so that’s why you rarely see them. (??)

I know a lot of girls are running Corona Cartel sons and daughters and grandget and the Coronas are doing awesome. Would the bottom side offset your decision in any way if you’re opposed to MJP? The only pro rodeo horses I can think of out of Corona Cartel are Lisa Lockhart’s Rosa and then under MJP grandget, Sydni Blanchard’s deceased Jess Louisiana Blue NFR horse. Any others I’m missing?

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
FLITASTIC
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2019-01-12 2:55 PM
Subject: RE: Jess Perry Sons/Corona Cartel Grandget

Expert

I ran a direct son of MJP out of a DTF dam. Thought it was going to be perfect. Absolutely beautiful horse , off the track with only 1 start. He made a barrel horse overnight. Pretty much literally. He went to winning barrel races very early. One day he just decided he didn’t want to be a barrel horse anymore. Up and out of the blue. Spent over 3k at vet and nothing was wrong but his attitude. I sold him. I have heard from track trainers that they can be hard headed. One day the barrel pattern just wasn’t fun anymore I guess. Lol
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ehwaz
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-13 1:33 AM

Well darn! That doesn’t put me at ease! Lol. I appreciate the response, but I’m sorry to hear it! Do you know if the horse ever got back to running after you sold him? I’ve been looking high and low for sons and daughters who are running at a competive level, but it seems most are in the breeding shed only. Grandsons and daughters are plenty. I think I’ll take the risk. I really like him. Just wish more people had more experience with them. Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by ehwaz 2019-01-13 1:33 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
barrelracer63046304
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2019-01-13 7:34 AM

Extreme Veteran

Tell Em Belle is by Tres Seis out of a Corona Cartel and she qualified for the NFR. Mr Sassy Frenchman is out of a MJP/CC mare. He won some money at futurities.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-01-13 12:15 PM

Saint Stacey

JMHO, so take it or leave it. But when someone says something is too fast for a barrel horse, I’d like to smack them. There’s really no such thing as “too fast”. Most people simply want to ride like Whiplash The Cowboy Monkey On Crack and kick the ever living daylights out of one because everyone is screaming KICK KICK HUSTLE HUSTLE. Very few can sit there and be quiet. Certain bloodlines need a smart jockey that can sit there, ride quiet and not try to push one through the sound barrier. People are the ones that cause issues and bad reputations in certain bloodlines.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
SMF
Reg. Aug 2016
Posted 2019-01-17 7:24 PM

I sure hope it's a cross that works, lol.. I have a now three year old thats sire (Coronado Cartel) is by Corona Cartel and out of a MPJ daughter. I haven't started her on the pattern yet, but so far she's been possibly the sweetest, most intelligent, and most willing horse I've ever worked with..as well as seems extremely talented so far with the little she's done. I'd gladly have a barn full of her any day. Sorry I can't be of more help than that, weather and no arena is keeping training going very slow, and sporadic.. which she also deals with well and still keeps getting better even when I can get on her only 1-2 x per week if that some times.

Edited by SMF 2019-01-17 7:28 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-01-17 9:08 PM

Saint Stacey

SMF - 2019-01-17 6:24 PM

I sure hope it's a cross that works, lol.. I have a now three year old thats sire (Coronado Cartel) is by Corona Cartel and out of a MPJ daughter. I haven't started her on the pattern yet, but so far she's been possibly the sweetest, most intelligent, and most willing horse I've ever worked with..as well as seems extremely talented so far with the little she's done. I'd gladly have a barn full of her any day. Sorry I can't be of more help than that, weather and no arena is keeping training going very slow, and sporadic.. which she also deals with well and still keeps getting better even when I can get on her only 1-2 x per week if that some times.

Coronado Cartel might be the best looking horse in the flesh I’ve ever had the privilege of seeing. I was star struck by him and Pappasito the first year he was at the E. And I’ve seen many of the greatest stallions on the plant in the flesh.

It sounds like you got yourself a nice horse.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
SMF
Reg. Aug 2016
Posted 2019-01-18 1:31 AM

SKM: I'd love to see him in person on day, hopefully next time I'm in Oklahoma.. I'm in Ontario, Canada so don't make it that way more than once a year or so.

Thank you, I may be a bit partial but I'm excited about her! She'll be my first barrel horse :). Between him and her Mom (Dash Ta Vanila) she's got big shoes to fill...:) lol. I'll be happy with her no matter what she does though.

Edited by SMF 2019-01-18 1:41 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
tllawrence64
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2019-01-18 10:05 AM

I don't have a direct but I have a mare by an own son out of an own daughter of DTF. She is a thinker and not a reactor. I absolutely love her.

I don't know about the MJP's being too fast but I don't think they are a line that takes an aggressive type rider that has an intense energy about them. Many of them are more free runners vs push style. But lots of them can fly!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OregonBR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-01-18 10:20 AM

Military family

Champ

JMO but some of these super fast horses just don't come back to you once they get to running. You have to cross them to the right lines to get some handle on them. If the other side of the pedigree is also the kind that check out when they are going fast, I don't think they will ever be a dependable barrel horse. That's why the super fast lines are doing really well crossed on FG and other working bred horses.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-01-18 11:20 AM

You get what you give

I had a granddaughter of MJP I really really liked. Had her high loping the pattern as a three year old when I noticed she was slightly off in the back end.. I didn't pre purchase her. She had an old fracture from a baby that caused arthritis in her DIP joint on the right hind if I'm not mistaken. So I never pushed it. Sold her as a broodmare. She had the right temperament and ability for sure.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
barrelracinbroke
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2019-01-18 9:56 PM

Did I miss the party?

I may like either of those lines possibly crossed on work/cow. But I'm not a fan of either of them enough to crossed on each other. I've known some JP's and they were all hot. I know a son of CC that is hard to deal with. But they can all FLY 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
wyoming barrel racer
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2019-01-19 6:42 PM

Military family

Neat Freak

Sounds like my kind of horse. Been riding and ranching on 100% race bred for over 10 yrs. Love them. I like how SKM said it. So much depends on your style of riding.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CrossCreek
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2019-01-19 10:29 PM

Elite Veteran

I have a Crona Cartel crossed on First sweet Down (FDD)...shes pretty awesome...has a few quirks but nothing big, n she's sweet.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CrossCreek
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2019-01-19 10:29 PM

Elite Veteran

I have a Crona Cartel crossed on First sweet Down (FDD)...shes pretty awesome...has a few quirks but nothing big, n she's sweet.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ehwaz
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-21 2:43 PM

SKM - 2019-01-13 12:15 PM

JMHO, so take it or leave it. But when someone says something is too fast for a barrel horse, I’d like to smack them. There’s really no such thing as “too fast”. Most people simply want to ride like Whiplash The Cowboy Monkey On Crack and kick the ever living daylights out of one because everyone is screaming KICK KICK HUSTLE HUSTLE. Very few can sit there and be quiet. Certain bloodlines need a smart jockey that can sit there, ride quiet and not try to push one through the sound barrier. People are the ones that cause issues and bad reputations in certain bloodlines.

I agree. Your comment reminds of Celie Ray. If you pick your arms up so they’re straight up in the air and then have someone poke you hard in the ribs, your gut reaction is to protect yourself so you drop your arms. She was amazing. The same concept applies to barrels; kicking just takes away their focus and try since they’re thinking about the kicking. I like to watch Hailey K’s runs since she gets down over her horses and just gives them their heads. I see so many runs of her bringing her hands so far forward she looks like she’s pushing more with her hands instead of just her legs and seat. Another rider I love is Brittany Tonozzi since has an aggressive style, but also has that same style of asking and not forcing. When I buy horses, I pay just as much attention to the jockey as I do the horse.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ehwaz
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-21 3:01 PM

OregonBR - 2019-01-18 10:20 AM

JMO but some of these super fast horses just don't come back to you once they get to running. You have to cross them to the right lines to get some handle on them. If the other side of the pedigree is also the kind that check out when they are going fast, I don't think they will ever be a dependable barrel horse. That's why the super fast lines are doing really well crossed on FG and other working bred horses.

I think you’re right. I also think these horses need more time and help than horses bred for the pattern or cow horses. In the end though, I lean towards the thought that a quiet mind is the best asset any fast horse can possess. I’m not eager to pass on something just because it might be “too fast” or bred “too hot” since the best horses always seem to have a flaw of some sort, but aside from heart, try, health, smarts and good confirmation they all have two things in common: a quiet, solid mind and genuine athletic ability. Those two things are easily spotted and seem to be a good starting point for any successful horse regardless of discipline.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ehwaz
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-21 3:02 PM

wyoming barrel racer - 2019-01-19 6:42 PM

Sounds like my kind of horse. Been riding and ranching on 100% race bred for over 10 yrs. Love them. I like how SKM said it. So much depends on your style of riding.

We ended up purchasing him. He’s extremely quiet and thinks instead of reacting. I handled race babies for years and years as a repro tech and I learned to appreciate a quiet minded horse more than anything else. He’s stunning and has a catty but VERY fast style so I’m glad the risk was taken. We’ll see what happens. I have a daughter of Strawfly Special who has the infamous Strawfly mind and she’s quick to blow up, so I’m glad to have a race bred who is quiet. I’m with you though. I adore the racing lines and feel if you give them the time and space, you really can’t beat them. We’ll see how this guy does on the pattern. Our goal is rodeo so there’s no hurry.

Edited by ehwaz 2019-01-21 3:04 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-01-21 7:47 PM

My Heart Be Happy

ehwaz - 2019-01-21 3:02 PM

We ended up purchasing him. He’s extremely quiet and thinks instead of reacting. I handled race babies for years and years as a repro tech and I learned to appreciate a quiet minded horse more than anything else. He’s stunning and has a catty but VERY fast style so I’m glad the risk was taken. We’ll see what happens. I have a daughter of Strawfly Special who has the infamous Strawfly mind and she’s quick to blow up, so I’m glad to have a race bred who is quiet. I’m with you though. I adore the racing lines and feel if you give them the time and space, you really can’t beat them. We’ll see how this guy does on the pattern. Our goal is rodeo so there’s no hurry.

Congrats and good luck!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
wyoming barrel racer
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2019-01-22 10:08 AM

Military family

Neat Freak

ehwaz - 2019-01-21 2:02 PM

Exciting!! We have owned lots and lots of off the track mares in the past and the only ones we really didn't get along with were 2 Hot Colours daughters. Both had feet issues (founder), both would just as soon run your butt over when spooked than go around you. One was out of a Calyx daughter (not a fan) and the other I can't remember right off hand. But both produced very usable gentle babies. They sold well and the people that own the offspring still keep in touch. We have yet to own a counterfeit race bred baby. Have had a few that were out of ranchy and even cow bred mares. I'm sure a lot depends on what you do with them, how a person trains and rides them. But I just don't think there is a bloodline out there that is too hot for what we do with them. Ranching makes the arena look like a walk in the park lol
Congrats on your new horse!!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software