Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Crooked legs advise?
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-02-10 10:48 AM
43 replies, 2255 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-02-01 4:52 PM (#7420921 - in reply to #7420868)
Subject: RE: Crooked legs advise?

Saint Stacey

Dang. That’s awful. I honestly think she’s too far along developmentally for you to be able to do much of anything. When they strip to correct a growth problem, it’s within a few weeks of birth if I remember right. Not that stripping would have helped her.

There’s no way that happened on the ride. I’m sure you could sue to get your money back. Especially given the lies. But that might cost you even more. Tough call on what to do. I’d personally be leaning towards euthanasia if it were me. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. I’m truly sorry you ended up with/in this mess. Poor filly.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-02-02 12:52 AM (#7420937 - in reply to #7420921)

My Heart Be Happy

God bless her little heart. . . That's awful on the breeder's part. Some people have no conscience. I'd contact my vet and see if there's anything you can do for her before I gave up. But definitely do the right thing by the poor baby. Sorry this happened to you and her.
norcal
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-02-02 8:38 AM (#7420942 - in reply to #7420868)

Veteran

I contacted my vet which is a very blunt guy he confirmed it's windswept and said "get rid of her there's absolutely nothing to do at this point" I kinda already figured that but was hoping he would suggest something like to try to splint it and months of stall rest. On one hand I want to give her away for a pasture pet but on the other I dont want to end up giving her to someone who would resell her and a new buyer might also end up in my position not a clue that her legs were messed up. She is a super sweet filly and insanely athletic especially for her legs being that way. She's extremely small for a 2 yr old looks more like a weanling not sure she was taken care of much at all by previous owners. She isn't ribby but I feel like she should just be bigger.
Gator Bug
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-02-02 9:11 AM (#7420944 - in reply to #7420942)

Elite Veteran

norcal - 2019-02-02 8:38 AM I contacted my vet which is a very blunt guy he confirmed it's windswept and said "get rid of her there's absolutely nothing to do at this point" I kinda already figured that but was hoping he would suggest something like to try to splint it and months of stall rest. On one hand I want to give her away for a pasture pet but on the other I dont want to end up giving her to someone who would resell her and a new buyer might also end up in my position not a clue that her legs were messed up. She is a super sweet filly and insanely athletic especially for her legs being that way. She's extremely small for a 2 yr old looks more like a weanling not sure she was taken care of much at all by previous owners. She isn't ribby but I feel like she should just be bigger.
Unfortunately, this breeder did not even remotely do right at all by this filly. It is very sad.  

Your vet is saying 'nothing can be done at this point' because it SHOULD have been shortly after birth or as an early weanling. Again a 'shipper' no matter how bad a shipper can be, actually caused this issue. This breeder knowingly sold this filly this way. The breeder/seller was so very wrong or negligent as a breeder. I have seen it this bad and was done within 2 weeks of birth with not a success story with it being done even then at that early of a stage. This filly is now an early 2YO, I would think it would be a bad prognosis even if you spent the money to try and fix her. 

Very sad ALL the way around. 

ETA... she is probably smaller than she should be as they did not feed her right and she had this problem. This breeder/seller should not be breeding/selling again. So very dishonest. Just bad. 

Edited by Gator Bug 2019-02-02 9:15 AM
norcal
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-02-02 9:20 AM (#7420945 - in reply to #7420944)

Veteran

Gator Bug - 2019-02-02 7:11 AM

norcal - 2019-02-02 8:38 AM I contacted my vet which is a very blunt guy he confirmed it's windswept and said "get rid of her there's absolutely nothing to do at this point" I kinda already figured that but was hoping he would suggest something like to try to splint it and months of stall rest. On one hand I want to give her away for a pasture pet but on the other I dont want to end up giving her to someone who would resell her and a new buyer might also end up in my position not a clue that her legs were messed up. She is a super sweet filly and insanely athletic especially for her legs being that way. She's extremely small for a 2 yr old looks more like a weanling not sure she was taken care of much at all by previous owners. She isn't ribby but I feel like she should just be bigger.

Unfortunately, this breeder did not even remotely do right at all by this filly. It is very sad.  

Your vet is saying 'nothing can be done at this point' because it SHOULD have been shortly after birth or as an early weanling. Again a 'shipper' no matter how bad a shipper can be caused this issue. This breeder knowingly sold this filly this way. The breeder/seller was so very wrong or negligent as a breeder. I have seen it this bad and was done within 2 weeks of birth with not a success story with it being done even then at that early of a stage. This filly is now an early 2YO, I would think it would be a bad prognosis even if you spent the money to try and fix her. 

I don't blame the shipper at all I feel like it was a last ditch effort on the sellers part to blame the shipper.
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-02-02 9:37 AM (#7420946 - in reply to #7420945)

A Somebody to Everybody

norcal - 2019-02-02 9:20 AM

Your vet is saying 'nothing can be done at this point' because it SHOULD have been shortly after birth or as an early weanling. Again a 'shipper' no matter how bad a shipper can be caused this issue. This breeder knowingly sold this filly this way. The breeder/seller was so very wrong or negligent as a breeder. I have seen it this bad and was done within 2 weeks of birth with not a success story with it being done even then at that early of a stage. This filly is now an early 2YO, I would think it would be a bad prognosis even if you spent the money to try and fix her. 

I don't blame the shipper at all I feel like it was a last ditch effort on the sellers part to blame the shipper.

Just curious, does this person that wronged you on this poor filly, do they breed and sell or was this just a person that bred a mare to get a baby? Do they have others that they are selling?
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-02-02 12:06 PM (#7420953 - in reply to #7420868)

You get what you give

Unfortunately, at her age, the growth plates that you could manipulate to try and straighten her legs are closed. And, looking at the conformation of her knees, I would be concerned that she already has arthritis. I'm really sorry. You would think people were more honest these days... I know there's buyer beware but this goes a step beyond that.
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-02-02 12:07 PM (#7420954 - in reply to #7420868)

You get what you give

I wouldn't be surprised if you found a surgeon willing to do some crazy stuff to try and make things a little better, but it would likely cost you well into the thousands of thousands of dollars with a really poor outcome.
norcal
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-02-02 12:18 PM (#7420955 - in reply to #7420946)

Veteran

Southtxponygirl - 2019-02-02 7:37 AM

Just curious, does this person that wronged you on this poor filly, do they breed and sell or was this just a person that bred a mare to get a baby? Do they have others that they are selling?

The filly is branded with an RR on the left shoulder looks like the seller and breeder are from the same family as they're last names are both Hunt
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-02-02 2:07 PM (#7420962 - in reply to #7420955)

A Somebody to Everybody

norcal - 2019-02-02 12:18 PM

The filly is branded with an RR on the left shoulder looks like the seller and breeder are from the same family as they're last names are both Hunt

These people should be ashamed of themselves, but I'm betting their not thou.. Such a sad deal since the filly is the one thats suffering because of these stupid people.. I feel bad for you and the filly, sorry that this happen to you... I wish and hope that something can be done for her but I really dont see it..Hugs to you 
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-02-02 2:11 PM (#7420963 - in reply to #7420868)

A Somebody to Everybody

Just a thought, but do you have any horse rescues around you that might be willing to take her in? 
norcal
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-02-02 3:01 PM (#7420964 - in reply to #7420962)

Veteran

Southtxponygirl - 2019-02-02 12:07 PM

These people should be ashamed of themselves, but I'm betting their not thou.. Such a sad deal since the filly is the one thats suffering because of these stupid people.. I feel bad for you and the filly, sorry that this happen to you... I wish and hope that something can be done for her but I really dont see it..Hugs to you 

Thank you! Yes I was hoping maybe posting on here someone might have an idea of a way to fix her enough to make her comfortable but it really doesn't sound like she is fixable and I'm thinking the older she gets and the more weight that goes on her knees and legs is just going to make it worse for her ????
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-02-02 3:12 PM (#7420966 - in reply to #7420964)

A Somebody to Everybody

norcal - 2019-02-02 3:01 PM

Thank you! Yes I was hoping maybe posting on here someone might have an idea of a way to fix her enough to make her comfortable but it really doesn't sound like she is fixable and I'm thinking the older she gets and the more weight that goes on her knees and legs is just going to make it worse for her ????

I think you are right about as she gets older and heaver those legs just not going to be able to hold up and I hate to think how painful its going to be for her.. And I hate that those people put you on the spot like this, but you know what maybe it was meant to be, someone like you with a heart will find some way to help her as in trying to find a way or putting her down in a humane way.. Ask your vet if maybe they know of someone that would be willing to take her on..I dont know just thinking out loud to you, I wish I could help you,,, you sound like a great lady and Thank you for trying 
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-02-02 6:43 PM (#7420975 - in reply to #7420966)

My Heart Be Happy

Southtxponygirl - 2019-02-02 3:12 PM

norcal - 2019-02-02 3:01 PM

I think you are right about as she gets older and heaver those legs just not going to be able to hold up and I hate to think how painful its going to be for her.. And I hate that those people put you on the spot like this, but you know what maybe it was meant to be, someone like you with a heart will find some way to help her as in trying to find a way or putting her down in a humane way.. Ask your vet if maybe they know of someone that would be willing to take her on..I dont know just thinking out loud to you, I wish I could help you,,, you sound like a great lady and Thank you for trying 

This is heartbreaking, but I agree that at least she's in someone's hands now that will do right for her.
uno-dos-tres!
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-02-03 5:00 AM (#7421007 - in reply to #7420868)

Expert

I'm so sorry that you were taken if you need a great equine lawyer let me know by PM.  
Whinny19
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2019-02-03 7:18 AM (#7421011 - in reply to #7420868)

Brains Behind the Operation...

Poor windswept little girl. If someone had put in the effort and the dough when she was a newborn, they probably could have done a lot for her. Now, unfortunately, it's too late to correct deviations like this. I'm so sorry, OP. The seller should be ashamed of themselves. Bless you for trying to give her a chance.

Edited to add: This is a great article explaining the narrow window of opportunity that exists after birth to best correct limb deviations in the foal.

Straightening Crooked Legs

Edited by Whinny19 2019-02-03 7:49 PM
rpreast
Reg. Nov 2015
Posted 2019-02-04 10:00 AM (#7421055 - in reply to #7420955)

Extreme Veteran

norcal - 2019-02-02 11:18 AM

She didn't happen to come from So. Cal did she? I bought a mare with the same brand from the same last name down that direction. She wasn't in the best shape either when she got to us, although not quite this drastic.
norcal
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-02-04 11:56 AM (#7421074 - in reply to #7421055)

Veteran

rpreast - 2019-02-04 8:00 AM

She didn't happen to come from So. Cal did she? I bought a mare with the same brand from the same last name down that direction. She wasn't in the best shape either when she got to us, although not quite this drastic.

She has breeders listed as Ralph or Penny Sue hunt out of yermo California I bought her from Jesse hunt out of la pine Oregon
Mighty Broke
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-02-04 11:59 AM (#7421075 - in reply to #7421074)

Guys Just Wanna Have Fun

WOW---just wow. That is all I got---WOW. 
rpreast
Reg. Nov 2015
Posted 2019-02-04 12:11 PM (#7421081 - in reply to #7421074)

Extreme Veteran

norcal - 2019-02-04 10:56 AM

rpreast - 2019-02-04 8:00 AM

She has breeders listed as Ralph or Penny Sue hunt out of yermo California I bought her from Jesse hunt out of la pine Oregon

YEP! Same people.
I bought her as 5 yr old and she looked to be about 2. She was pretty timid around people and just wanted to be left alone. Very very head shy, twitchy when you would move, etc. A year later and you wouldn't recognize her. She grew almost an entire hand, put on probably 150 lbs and is as sweet as can be now.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software