Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

FINAL UPDATE:NOT ULCERS**Update: It’s ulcers! Treatment options?**Biting when cinched and blanketed

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-02-16 9:32 PM
26 replies, 2072 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

Last Catt
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2019-02-10 12:27 PM
Subject: RE: **Update: It’s ulcers! Treatment options?**Biting when cinched and blanketed

Veteran

I didn't use omeprazole due to the price and it not doing anything to help the hindgut. As previously stated, I used Oxy-Aide on my pregnant mare, and did notice a major attitude change after treatment. I've been recommended the GastroPlex from MVP to maintain. I just started miss prego and my anxious OTTB on nrf2 (have seen great results on my dog and myself) so it'll be interesting to see if it helps them keep a happy tummy. I also usually keep my horses on a prebiotic and probiotic when there is a GI upset.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
WetSaddleBlankets
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2019-02-10 1:42 PM
Subject: RE: **Update: It’s ulcers! Treatment options?**Biting when cinched and blanketed

Gettin Jiggy Wit It

Hind gut ulcers are hard to diagnose. When my gelding went off his feed we scoped him for gastric ulcers, he was clean. Then ultrasounded his large colon and tried to measure the thickness of the colon wall. They can also be diagnosed through blood work by checking protein concentration and albumin. Luckily my horse was normal with those tests too. The fecal test is not a very effective way to diagnose either form of ulcers. Even if you treat with a supplement for hind gut ulcers your horses needs to be on a special diet limiting bulk foods, like hay for a period of time.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
wishingforsun
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2019-02-11 2:38 PM

Nutrient Buffer and Nutrient Buffer HG - pricey but effective. 
https://equineplusfeed.com/supplements/nutrient-buffer.html 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Gsdknox44
Reg. May 2018
Posted 2019-02-13 9:50 PM

Regular

Just wanted to let y’all know I’ve decided to get him scoped to be sure of the best treatment for him. Thank you again everyone for the advice!
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ropin1
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2019-02-15 8:49 PM
Subject: RE: FINAL UPDATE:NOT ULCERS**Update: It’s ulcers! Treatment options?**Biting when cinched and blanke

Extreme Veteran

I had a gelding that started doing that, though ulcers, etc. Turned out to be kissing spine. Injected his back and as long as I stay up on that he is great. Even my shoer noticed he was more supple after back injections.  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
SmokinBandits
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-02-16 5:38 PM
Subject: RE: FINAL UPDATE:NOT ULCERS**Update: It’s ulcers! Treatment options?**Biting when cinched and blanke

Having Smokin Bandits

Wow, interesting update! No ulcers after all! Glad I read that about the company that does the testing, sells the treatment. Good to know.
Well, good luck. I admire your dedication to finding out whether it was mental or physical. It's always so tricky! 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
WetSaddleBlankets
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2019-02-16 9:32 PM

Gettin Jiggy Wit It

ropin1 - 2019-02-15 8:49 PM

I had a gelding that started doing that, though ulcers, etc. Turned out to be kissing spine. Injected his back and as long as I stay up on that he is great. Even my shoer noticed he was more supple after back injections.  

Good point! I had a mare that I wrote a response to this post that was biting while cinching and after she scoped clean for ulcers we x rayed her back because our next thought was kissing spines. She was also x rayed clean but point is that behavior while cinching can also be caused by back pain.
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software