Folks on-line
'
1
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon


You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Joint Supplements
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-02-12 4:00 PM
13 replies, 393 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format
 
cindyt
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-02-11 11:15 AM (#7421845)
Subject: Joint Supplements


Ms Bling Bling Sleeze Kitty


Posts: 20427
500050005000500010010010010025
Location: LouLouVille, OK
Any recommendations?   Has anyone ever tried this https://www.bigdweb.com/product/arthroxigen+cr+pellets+5+lbs.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=5&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100257  or 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AmericanJelly1
Reg. Dec 2018
Posted 2019-02-11 11:30 AM (#7421850 - in reply to #7421845)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Member


Posts: 31
25
I've had great luck with Acti-flex 4000. Look at ingredients and compare. What works from one horse may not work for another.

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do?sortby=b...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cindyt
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-02-11 12:29 PM (#7421863 - in reply to #7421850)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements


Ms Bling Bling Sleeze Kitty


Posts: 20427
500050005000500010010010010025
Location: LouLouVille, OK
AmericanJelly1 - 2019-02-11 11:30 AM I've had great luck with Acti-flex 4000. Look at ingredients and compare. What works from one horse may not work for another. https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do?sortby=b...
I have actually been feeding it for about 8 months now and haven't seen a difference, and I know it's a matter of finding what works for each horse :)  He actually loves the flavor of it though...   
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FLITASTIC
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2019-02-11 1:18 PM (#7421879 - in reply to #7421845)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Expert


Posts: 4273
200020001001002525
Most joint supplements on the market are 6% or less digested/absorbed. That leaves 94% that simply goes in your wheel barrow every day. My horses get inject able ( Pentosan, adequan, legend, polyglycan.... etc) as needed based on individual horse needs.

Also, these injectables are usually CHEAPER than the feed through per month and its 100% absorbed by the horse.

$25 pentosan dose monthly
$40 adequan per dose
$80 legend
$40 Polyglycan

Edited by FLITASTIC 2019-02-11 1:20 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AmericanJelly1
Reg. Dec 2018
Posted 2019-02-11 1:31 PM (#7421886 - in reply to #7421879)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Member


Posts: 31
25
Do you have to go through a vet to get those? are they IM?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsegirl
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2019-02-11 1:33 PM (#7421887 - in reply to #7421886)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



The One


Posts: 7711
50002000500100100
Location: South Georgia
AmericanJelly1 - 2019-02-11 2:31 PM

Do you have to go through a vet to get those? are they IM?

Yes, and yes.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-02-11 1:57 PM (#7421894 - in reply to #7421879)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Warrior Mom


Posts: 2395
2000100100100252525
FLITASTIC - 2019-02-11 1:18 PM

Most joint supplements on the market are 6% or less digested/absorbed. That leaves 94% that simply goes in your wheel barrow every day. My horses get inject able ( Pentosan, adequan, legend, polyglycan.... etc) as needed based on individual horse needs.

Also, these injectables are usually CHEAPER than the feed through per month and its 100% absorbed by the horse.

$25 pentosan dose monthly
$40 adequan per dose
$80 legend
$40 Polyglycan

I'm going to agree. If I thought my horses needed anything for major joint support I'd do injections instead of a feed thru. Itd be less expensive in the long run and way more effective.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rough-up cowgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2019-02-11 2:02 PM (#7421896 - in reply to #7421845)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Gotta Have a Gray


Posts: 876
500100100100252525
Location: Tex. Panhandle
We tried the feed through sev years ago and then after talking to our vet and having a thorough discussion about the pros/cons we moved to the injectable.   We use poly. Do the loading dose. 2 shots in a month then 1 every month after that. Dont have to worry about them not getting 100% of the benefits and dont have to mess with picky eaters or horses dumping feed. Alot less hassel and much more effective imo
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
JLazyT_perf_horses
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2019-02-11 4:11 PM (#7421920 - in reply to #7421845)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Elite Veteran


Posts: 734
50010010025
Location: Illinois
Legend is IV. I did that a few years ago, one shot a week for 3 weeks. Lasted around 60 days for mine, I could stretch to about 80 days max if I needed. Adequan I found I also had to do every 2-3 months, but it's a pain having to do 7 shots a month that often. They can get needle shy. Mine also still had dry joints with those options. I tried MVP Exceed 6 Way because it had multiple things and my horse hasn't had dry joints on it so far in 2 years. I picked it because they had clinical research behind it, which is rare in the supplement industry. My vet is 100% against feed throughs and he even told me to keep going with the Exceed. It's worked for my horses and is a hell of a lot cheaper than what I was having to do with injectables. I still get joint injections too once a year, but they cost next to nothing. I did IM glucosamine shots for my 26 year old when he was in his late teens. It was enough to keep him pasture comfortable back then and was about $100 a year. Its a cheap and effective option for one maybe needing just a little help. I wouldn't hesitate to try any of them again on different horses, they just didn't work for the one I've got now.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FLITASTIC
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2019-02-11 4:22 PM (#7421922 - in reply to #7421886)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Expert


Posts: 4273
200020001001002525
Vet yes, all IM, NO..... Polyglycan and Legend are IV only.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-02-11 6:57 PM (#7421944 - in reply to #7421845)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



You get what you give


Posts: 12753
5000500020005001001002525
Location: Texas
Supplement wise... I really like Equithrive. Because the idea behind it isn't feeding glucosamine, chondroitin, or HA... it's feeding resveratrol, which is the active ingredient in grapeseed extract and red wine. They do make a supplement that has those other ingredients in it, but I feed it because of the resveratrol.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cindyt
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-02-12 8:41 AM (#7422003 - in reply to #7421879)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements


Ms Bling Bling Sleeze Kitty


Posts: 20427
500050005000500010010010010025
Location: LouLouVille, OK
FLITASTIC - 2019-02-11 1:18 PM Most joint supplements on the market are 6% or less digested/absorbed. That leaves 94% that simply goes in your wheel barrow every day. My horses get inject able ( Pentosan, adequan, legend, polyglycan.... etc) as needed based on individual horse needs. Also, these injectables are usually CHEAPER than the feed through per month and its 100% absorbed by the horse. $25 pentosan dose monthly $40 adequan per dose $80 legend $40 Polyglycan
Where did you find this info? I am curious on human supplements then as well... I find that by taking vitamins, and all that I take, I feel the difference but I am sure I pee that out too lol.. but I know if I stop taking them I feel the difference... Did that make sense? lol So how do they come up with the % absorbed?

Edited by cindyt 2019-02-12 8:42 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FLITASTIC
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2019-02-12 10:17 AM (#7422029 - in reply to #7422003)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Expert


Posts: 4273
200020001001002525
Here is the deal...... human GI tracks metabolize and absorb nutrients differently than horses do. Humans have a much higher rate of absorption. I don't know the percentage but even my chiro ( who also works on horses) says that oral joint supplements seem to really work in humans, not so much horses. The studies and literature is out there that shows the 6% for horses. I would have to find it. I want to say Equithrive or one of the better oral supplements also did a study and confirmed the 6% but their product is in the 30-40% range according to their claims. The way they test it is by isotope markers ( My vet was explaining it). Then they take samples of joint fluid and see how many of the markers made it in there.,
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
oija
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2019-02-12 4:00 PM (#7422094 - in reply to #7422029)
Subject: RE: Joint Supplements



Expert


Posts: 3703
20001000500100100
Location: Gainesville, TX

FLITASTIC - 2019-02-12 10:17 AM Here is the deal...... human GI tracks metabolize and absorb nutrients differently than horses do. Humans have a much higher rate of absorption. I don't know the percentage but even my chiro ( who also works on horses) says that oral joint supplements seem to really work in humans, not so much horses. The studies and literature is out there that shows the 6% for horses. I would have to find it. I want to say Equithrive or one of the better oral supplements also did a study and confirmed the 6% but their product is in the 30-40% range according to their claims. The way they test it is by isotope markers ( My vet was explaining it). Then they take samples of joint fluid and see how many of the markers made it in there.,


Resveratrol works on a different basis as it fights inflammation through antioxidant activity through the resveratrol I believe instead of trying to replace or supplement actual joing chemicals like HA or Glucosamine. And it works systemically, not just in the joints. It would actually have more in common with turmeric or CBD type supplements I think than traditional joint supplements.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format
 

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software