Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Saddle for rump high/downhill horse

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-03-18 9:19 AM
7 replies, 617 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

Dreamingofcans
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-02-12 11:47 AM
Subject: Saddle for rump high/downhill horse

Elite Veteran

What is everyone's go to saddle for downhill, flat backed horses?  I feel like this horse is always kinda sore in her back and loin area.  Some say treed saddles will make all downhill horses sore, but a lot of colts are downhill and plenty of trainers ride in treed saddles.  Are flex saddles better? 

Edited by Dreamingofcans 2019-02-12 11:50 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
fulltiltfilly
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2019-02-13 1:49 PM
Subject: RE: Saddle for rump high/downhill horse

I hate cooking and cleaning

Dreamingofcans - 2019-02-12 12:47 PM What is everyone's go to saddle for downhill, flat backed horses?  I feel like this horse is always kinda sore in her back and loin area.  Some say treed saddles will make all downhill horses sore, but a lot of colts are downhill and plenty of trainers ride in treed saddles.  Are flex saddles better? 

I am in the same boat as you. I haven't tried a whole bunch of saddles yet but these are my findings so far and what has been recommended to try. I currently ride in a Bob Marshall.

Any wide Circle Y sits down on the withers. I haven't tried a regular tree yet so see if that works.

Melita Brown by Crates seems to fit pretty good, although I don't love how it rides.

Been suggested to try but haven't yet:
 Lynn Mckenzie Special. If that doesn't work then a wide Special.
Flex tree saddles by Circle Y and Reinsman (yes I know its the same company).   
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Dreamingofcans
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-02-13 2:00 PM

Elite Veteran

I was also told to try a flex tree... and wouldn’t ya know I sold a sibley a while back.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CanCan
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2019-02-13 8:01 PM

Military family

Keeper of the King Snake

Built up pad. Like a bio fit. 
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
fulltiltfilly
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2019-02-14 6:55 AM

I hate cooking and cleaning

Dreamingofcans - 2019-02-13 3:00 PM I was also told to try a flex tree... and wouldn’t ya know I sold a sibley a while back.

Oh I forgot about that one.

I had an Ammerman that initially I thought fit pretty well but she didn't want to pick up her left lead. Obviously it was pinching her.  
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
lonely va barrelxr
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2019-02-14 9:37 AM

Reaching for the stars....

My Frontier Futurity sat and rode great on Xena. At age 14 she is still downhill, tho it was more pronounced when she was younger. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Dreamingofcans
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-03-17 6:35 PM

Elite Veteran

CanCan - 2019-02-13 8:01 PM Built up pad. Like a bio fit. 

Would that cause the back of the saddle to put more pressure on the loin area since that part of the back is already elevated?

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Whinny19
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2019-03-18 9:19 AM

Brains Behind the Operation...

My boyfriend's rope horse is a bit downhill, and when he was using him every day on the feedlot he started having back soreness and galling issues over the withers, loin, and in the cinch area (it seemed like the saddle was always tilting and sliding forward).

A lot of times these horses are also much wider over the loin than they are closer to the withers. I mean, horse's backs are normally pear-shaped, but it's often exagerated in downhill horses. So the first key is making sure the saddle is wide enough over the loin, and it's not rubbing there because it's too narrow.

Two things made a big difference for my boyfriend's horse. I got him a wither riser pad (just an inexpensive foam one from Horse.com, made by Roma). And I made a centerfire rigging converter for his saddle, which pulled his front cinch farther back. You can buy the converters as well, but I made his using the round rings from a cheap cinch, latigo leather, and a couple breast collar replacement straps. Huge difference! No more soreness and galling.

A lot of the loin rubbing and soreness is from the back of the saddle popping up and down, and it will also sometimes "wag" side to side as the horse swings each hind leg forward. The riser pad helps the saddle sit level so the back doesn't pop up. And the centerfire rigging helps evenly distribute pressure through the whole tree. Also, make sure the back cinch is snugged up.

As a note, his Martin roping saddle with the adjustable gullet fits this horse really well and doesn't have any soring or rubbing issues. It's great for roping, but unfortunately the leg fenders aren't very free swinging, so my boyfriend doesn't like using it for his everyday riding saddle. He uses the centerfire converter on his other saddle.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software