Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Santa Anita Race track closed after 21 horses put down since 12/26
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-03-18 8:54 AM
55 replies, 2765 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-03-07 5:41 PM (#7424487 - in reply to #7424485)
Subject: RE: Santa Anita Race track closed after 21 horses put down since 12/26

Saint Stacey

fatchance - 2019-03-07 3:55 PM

"Every time you point a finger in scorn—there are three remaining fingers pointing right back at you.”

The equine industry is all tied together weather you understand that or not. Those who are quick to share their horror stories about the track might want to rethink what track they are going to, because like barrel racing there are different levels in the game and with that come good owners and trainers, then the bad ones.  The tragic events that have happened at Santa Anita is not being taken lightly. There was a so called changing of the guard at SA at the start of the season and they seemed to have let a lot fail. Then there is all of the rain. The gentleman that use to groom SA is coming back with a lot of others that are there to Fix it. 

IF we don't dig a little deeper to understand what is actually happening your just adding gas onto a fire with your uneducated opinions. There is bad in all aspects of the equine industry I don't think I need to type it all out for you. 

Peta is licking their chops on this, and if they get a hold of dismantling T/B horse racing no other equine sport will survive, it will be a matter of time for all of it.

SO hang on, be supportive and lets hope we all survive this.

Flameaway.....oh wait one of my favorite race horses! lol

Bravo! THANK YOU! You are exactly right. If racing fails, every other discipline that is equine and/or rodeo related will fail shortly after. ALL equestrians need to stand up for other disciplines or we will ALL fail. 

Having been around awhile and participated in many disciplines, I can honestly say that the D barrel racers tend to be the Mean Girls of the equine industry. Especially when it comes to talking smack about other disciplines. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-03-07 9:03 PM (#7424499 - in reply to #7424372)

Warrior Mom

I'll be the first one to admit, I truly know nothing about horse racing, other than what I read or watch here and there. I dont particularly follow it and honestly have never been to a track... any horse race I've watched has been on TV. I've been struggling with this, pretty much all day though , 21 horses ... that's a lot..  and to come on here and to tell people that commented that their opinion is uneducated or doesnt count because they dont know this or that about the racetrack seems a bit unfair. 21 horses are dead.. and they are finally going to take action. Peta.. I'm sorry no matter what happens they will always find a flaw in any equine sport... this doesnt help .. I'm not defending peta but I'm also not going to defend the track for letting it go this far. It's their own **** fault .. in this fiasco, remember , the euthanized horses are the victim. 

fatchance
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-03-07 10:06 PM (#7424507 - in reply to #7424499)

Military family

The Original Cyber Bartender

want2chase3 - 2019-03-07 7:03 PM

I'll be the first one to admit, I truly know nothing about horse racing, other than what I read or watch here and there. I dont particularly follow it and honestly have never been to a track... any horse race I've watched has been on TV. I've been struggling with this, pretty much all day though , 21 horses ... that's a lot..  and to come on here and to tell people that commented that their opinion is uneducated or doesnt count because they dont know this or that about the racetrack seems a bit unfair. 21 horses are dead.. and they are finally going to take action. Peta.. I'm sorry no matter what happens they will always find a flaw in any equine sport... this doesnt help .. I'm not defending peta but I'm also not going to defend the track for letting it go this far. It's their own **** fault .. in this fiasco, remember , the euthanized horses are the victim. 

Your battle cry seems to be the word euthanized. It happens more than you think at many equine events.

I am sorry I should have not use the word uneducated. Your opinion is valued.

I just hope you get that we all need to stand behind the industry, even if we disagree. I know I hate the ability of breeding mares/harvesting eggs that are now allowing them to have litters per year, and with stallions that have been dead for over a decade. 

If we dam it all like we are innocent, we are usually going to feel it when it takes that turn.

want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-03-07 10:35 PM (#7424508 - in reply to #7424507)

Warrior Mom

fatchance - 2019-03-07 10:06 PM

Your battle cry seems to be the word euthanized. It happens more than you think at many equine events.

I just hope you get that we all need to stand behind the industry, even if we disagree. I know I hate the ability of breeding mares/harvesting eggs that are now allowing them to have litters per year, and with stallions that have been dead for over a decade. 

If we dam it all like we are innocent, we are usually going to feel it when it takes that turn.

No battle cry intended.. 21 horse are dead.. euthanized or killed or whatever you want to call it..  I respectively disagree with you and a few others on the matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because it's not the same as yours doesnt mean its unmerited or irrelevant OR uneducated. I feel its pretty safe to say, majority of us on this board love horses and care about their wellbeing and seeing something like this definitely brings out the emotions in us ... justifiably so. While we dont have to always agree on every aspect of it, we can and should respect one another's opinion. 

Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-03-07 11:32 PM (#7424512 - in reply to #7424508)

My Heart Be Happy

want2chase3 - 2019-03-07 10:35 PM

No battle cry intended.. 21 horse are dead.. euthanized or killed or whatever you want to call it..  I respectively disagree with you and a few others on the matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because it's not the same as yours doesnt mean its unmerited or irrelevant OR uneducated. I feel its pretty safe to say, majority of us on this board love horses and care about their wellbeing and seeing something like this definitely brings out the emotions in us ... justifiably so. While we dont have to always agree on every aspect of it, we can and should respect one another's opinion. 

Well said in your last 2 posts.  Very well said

I've been to playdays, barrel runs, rodeos, reining events, cutting events of ALL sizes and ages, sortings, and trail rides to name a few.   I have seen 1 horse in all those events in all those years have an incident that required her to be hand carried/lifted in the trailer by spectators and participants; this was at a buckle series, and we learned the next weekend she had to be euthanized.   There was a very noticeable feeling of sadness that weekend at the event.  I have never been to a track that I didn't see at least 1 horse lose its life. Every time I went.  Granted, we only went twice a year, but that was more than enough.   And it was looked at as business as usual.  Move that body, next race, run em again.  I was nauseated, and most everyone around me was laughing and going to get drinks or food or the bathroom during "the lull."   I by no means think that owners and trainers delight in these deaths, but there is such a huge disparity in the number of track deaths compared to other horse disciplines.   I'm glad they're looking for a way to stop this at SA, but I don't know that we have "to stand behind the industry" while there are still horses dying for our pleasure in these numbers.  I've been accused of being too soft, but that's just how I feel.  

MS2011
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-03-08 9:34 AM (#7424531 - in reply to #7424512)

Own It and Move On

Chandler's Mom - 2019-03-07 11:32 PM

want2chase3 - 2019-03-07 10:35 PM

Well said in your last 2 posts.  Very well said

I've been to playdays, barrel runs, rodeos, reining events, cutting events of ALL sizes and ages, sortings, and trail rides to name a few.   I have seen 1 horse in all those events in all those years have an incident that required her to be hand carried/lifted in the trailer by spectators and participants; this was at a buckle series, and we learned the next weekend she had to be euthanized.   There was a very noticeable feeling of sadness that weekend at the event.  I have never been to a track that I didn't see at least 1 horse lose its life. Every time I went.  Granted, we only went twice a year, but that was more than enough.   And it was looked at as business as usual.  Move that body, next race, run em again.  I was nauseated, and most everyone around me was laughing and going to get drinks or food or the bathroom during "the lull."   I by no means think that owners and trainers delight in these deaths, but there is such a huge disparity in the number of track deaths compared to other horse disciplines.   I'm glad they're looking for a way to stop this at SA, but I don't know that we have "to stand behind the industry" while there are still horses dying for our pleasure in these numbers.  I've been accused of being too soft, but that's just how I feel.  

I think we have to look at the sheer number of horses at the track, I can't think of a single playday that draws very many.  They're doing the best they can to be pro-active and fix the problem.  I've seen horses have to be put down at rodeos, barrel races, ropings - it's awful - but accidents happen.  We do the best we can and sometimes it's not enough.  The laws of probability kick in and when you make enough runs, accidents will happen.  Don't think for one minute that it's only racehorses..... we all love barrel racing, it's a speed event... happens there too and more often than you'd think. I had one break his leg leaving the roping box - it hadn't rained in 2 weeks, surface hadn't changed...nothing. Never had anything like that happen before in that arena in 30 years and never have had it again.  He was a healthy 8 year old gelding.  When you add speed - things can unfortunately happen.

I've spent a lot of time on racetracks, trainers, jockeys, grooms - they grieve when they lose a horse.  Judging them by the demeanor of the people in the stands - seems extremely judgemental.  These are really nice expensive animals running at SA, the owners and trainers aren't going to intentionally put them in harm's way.

We lost a nice 2 year old last fall - tied to the patience pole where he'd been spending time during the day for a month, he was on dirt in a safe enviroment.  Something spooked him and he set back and fractured his hip.  Nothing could be done - it was an accident.  Not because he was abused in any fashion - just bad luck.

Edited by MS2011 2019-03-08 9:36 AM
vjls
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-03-08 9:52 AM (#7424536 - in reply to #7424372)

Miracle in the Making

fat chance and i both have wirked and rode at the tracks.

you think we spoil our barrel horses  grooms sleep with theses horses  these horses are not pampered but taken well taken care of  i rode bushtracks in the midwest also they were taken care of hell i rode long yearlings in races

in the 6 years i rode   i bet i never saw more than a handful be put down  

Edited by vjls 2019-03-08 9:56 AM
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-03-08 10:02 AM (#7424538 - in reply to #7424372)

Warrior Mom

I'm definitely not naive to the fact that this happens in every equine sport. It's a tragedy when it does. I'm glad the track is doing something about it. I pray they get it figured out and safe for the horses running. I was reminded of a time we were at a rodeo a bareback horse rammed head first into the wall while bucking and knocked itself clean out.. I'd say about 75% of the folks at the rodeo were not "livestock people" if you know what I mean, I cant think of the word. They were just there to spectate once a year at this big rodeo in our town... your average folks that live in the city and come to watch the cowboys and bulls type.. anyway, the horse got towed out still not moving ... at the end of the rodeo they turned a horse loose in the arena and made an announcement that the horse woke up and was just fine with a little headache .. the people in the stands were clapping and cheering as this horse zoomed around the pen ... it wasnt the same horse guys... but it made all those folks feel better.. .. I know accidents can and will happen, it's just part of it. The only issue I take from this is why they waited so long to do something and then it gets put out there and people get upset that people are upset. 

okhorselover
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2019-03-08 10:56 AM (#7424542 - in reply to #7424372)

Extreme Veteran

All I have to say is this is just a very sad thing  :(   The first track I ever went to was santa anita. That was in the 70's. I went to watch Affirmed run. It was after he won the triple crown. He was amazing. He won that day :)  Santa Anita is a beautiful place. It defintally is not a small track. As for peta, well they are wacko's anyway. I hope this problem with horses getting hurt can get resolved. 

Edited by okhorselover 2019-03-08 11:58 AM
SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-03-08 12:46 PM (#7424559 - in reply to #7424372)

Saint Stacey

I’m pretty sure I’m the one that said a lot of people’s opinion isn’t valid. I’ve put a lot of thought into this.

Whenever you are dealing with athletic competition, there are going to be injuries. How many football players, basketball players, baseball players are injured each year? Pro, semi pro, college, high school. You are pushing a body and sometimes that body breaks. Horses, dogs...the same thing happens.

As a person that prides themselves as being a horseman, I feel that if you truly care about your equine partner and you are supporting an industry (whether it be barrel racing, flat track racing, team roping, showing, etc), you owe the equine industry the benefit of the doubt. If I’m at a rodeo (or barrel race, or flat track race) and something catastrophic happens, common sense tells us that the person there just to watch as their one time a year local thing outing...of course they aren’t going to know exactly why or what happened. They just know it was bad and resulted in injury or death. But I’m a horseman. I’ve been in the industry. I know sh!t happens. 

In the case of Santa Anita...as a horseman...I owe an equine industry not to have a PeTA type knee jerk reaction. The numbers are WAY off. Common sense should tell us this. It wasn’t like the numbers were steadily rising. 21 horses since December? That’s not normal. I’m not going to trash racing. I’m not going to assume they weren’t doing anything. If it interests me, I'm going to research so I know what’s going on. Any idiot can google (I’m referring to myself here because I’m not tech savvy).

So when I come to BHW and see people that I normally respect, making asinine statements of something they clearly know nothing about in this particular niche of the equine industry...you can bet I’m going to tell them their opinion isn’t valid since they obviously don’t care enough to question what’s wrong with the numbers. They are just assuming track people don’t care and are knocking off horses for whatever reason.

rodeomom3
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2019-03-08 2:24 PM (#7424570 - in reply to #7424559)

Shelter Dog Lover

SKM - 2019-03-08 12:46 PM

I’m pretty sure I’m the one that said a lot of people’s opinion isn’t valid. I’ve put a lot of thought into this.

Whenever you are dealing with athletic competition, there are going to be injuries. How many football players, basketball players, baseball players are injured each year? Pro, semi pro, college, high school. You are pushing a body and sometimes that body breaks. Horses, dogs...the same thing happens.

As a person that prides themselves as being a horseman, I feel that if you truly care about your equine partner and you are supporting an industry (whether it be barrel racing, flat track racing, team roping, showing, etc), you owe the equine industry the benefit of the doubt. If I’m at a rodeo (or barrel race, or flat track race) and something catastrophic happens, common sense tells us that the person there just to watch as their one time a year local thing outing...of course they aren’t going to know exactly why or what happened. They just know it was bad and resulted in injury or death. But I’m a horseman. I’ve been in the industry. I know sh!t happens. 

In the case of Santa Anita...as a horseman...I owe an equine industry not to have a PeTA type knee jerk reaction. The numbers are WAY off. Common sense should tell us this. It wasn’t like the numbers were steadily rising. 21 horses since December? That’s not normal. I’m not going to trash racing. I’m not going to assume they weren’t doing anything. If it interests me, I'm going to research so I know what’s going on. Any idiot can google (I’m referring to myself here because I’m not tech savvy).

So when I come to BHW and see people that I normally respect, making asinine statements of something they clearly know nothing about in this particular niche of the equine industry...you can bet I’m going to tell them their opinion isn’t valid since they obviously don’t care enough to question what’s wrong with the numbers. They are just assuming track people don’t care and are knocking off horses for whatever reason.

You can’t compare injuries in humans who make the choice to compete and risk injury to using an animal and knowlingly put them at unexeptable risks of injury.   Humans, most anyway, take as many precautions as they can to minimize risk of accident or injury.

In my area dumping race track horses at kill pens is a huge problem so much so that tracks have said they will ban owners/trainers  who do this but they do not enforce it.   I am not blaming the overpopulation of horses at kill pens on the race track industry but it’s very disheartening to see a trailer load of healthy horses unloaded at kill pen auctions, some with the lip tattoos chemically removed.   It is difficult to accept the disposable commodity attitude in trying to find that special horse.  My SIL works directly with a race horse rescue group, I have witnessed these trailers myself. The bad apples are giving the industry a very bad rep. All disciplines need to govern themselves for the better of the sport. 

SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-03-08 3:00 PM (#7424573 - in reply to #7424570)

Saint Stacey

rodeomom3 - 2019-03-08 1:24 PM

You can’t compare injuries in humans who make the choice to compete and risk injury to using an animal and knowlingly put them at unexeptable risks of injury.   Humans, most anyway, take as many precautions as they can to minimize risk of accident or injury.

In my area dumping race track horses at kill pens is a huge problem so much so that tracks have said they will ban owners/trainers  who do this but they do not enforce it.   I am not blaming the overpopulation of horses at kill pens on the race track industry but it’s very disheartening to see a trailer load of healthy horses unloaded at kill pen auctions, some with the lip tattoos chemically removed.   It is difficult to accept the disposable commodity attitude in trying to find that special horse.  My SIL works directly with a race horse rescue group, I have witnessed these trailers myself. The bad apples are giving the industry a very bad rep. All disciplines need to govern themselves for the better of the sport. 

If that is what you got out of my novel, you really missed the point. I can compare humans to equine’s simply because the point is...all athletes risk some type of injury. Human or equine. I’ve personally witnessed as horrific injuries on the track as I have with barrel horses and bucking horses. None of the equine fatalities I’ve witnessed first hand could have been prevented unless you simply let them hang out in the pasture. But come to think of it...even that can lead to catastrophic injury. I’ve lived that too. But to get back on point, where Sabra Anita is concerned...the numbers point to something being way off. And I’m not talking simple training.

We aren’t talking about the kill pen here. That’s a whole other can of worms. But if you are blaming TB trainers for the problem, then you’d better be equally blaming any owner that dumps a horse in a sale because they’ve out lived their purpose. 

SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2019-03-08 3:05 PM (#7424576 - in reply to #7424372)

Saint Stacey

And for the record...no one is trying to justify what happened at Santa Anita. Everyone agrees that something is wrong. It’s a case of some people saying, “Look, something is off. These aren’t normal numbers. They are extremely high so what’s causing this?” Others are saying “Grab the torch and pitchfork! These track people have no business with horses. Burn them at the stake”.

Delta Cowgirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2019-03-08 4:31 PM (#7424584 - in reply to #7424372)

The Vaccinator

The horse deaths at the Santa Anita track are horrific and the fact the track has been closed while the powers-that-be identify and fix the issues have rocked the race-horse industry -- and certainly have caused much discussion within the horse world in general.  It's shone a spotlight on horse sports --  all horse sports.  Regardless of how you feel about horse-racing, perception is reality -- and the reality of this situaiton is that many anti-horse-racing, anti-animal ownership, groups, are definitely using it to gain support, donations and sympathy.  I have avoided 'politics' for years; however, within the few years I have become actively involved in my state's process in order to stay in the information loop -- and in order to be a voice of reason / education.   Lots of things regarding animals are perculating.... dog racing has been out-lawed in Florida.  There is legislation in three states right now that would ban any and all hunting dog sports activities.  Believe me -- horse activities are on the hit list, too. 

My working career required a lot of travel -- into the "cities" and areas where people know zero about farms, ranches, horses, cattle, etc.  It was eye-opening to talk with folks in these areas and learn how much they support ending rodeo, horse shows, dog shows and believe ranchers and farmers are cruel and inhumane.  As a farmer and horse owner, I spent many evenings over cocktails or at dinners speaking about the realities of ranches, farmers, etc.    As soon as my coworkers learned I 'lived on a farm' -- they were full of questions -- and accusations.  I am happy to say I was able to educate many and turn around their beliefs.... and in fact, some of those people, at my invitation, visited me here on my farm.  It was eye-opening for them and very educational.  So - if any of you have an opportunity to share your life with someone who knows zero about 'our world', please share!  We cannot stay in our happy horse bubble and expect things to continue as they are --- we are in their sights. 

rodeomom3
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2019-03-08 4:44 PM (#7424587 - in reply to #7424573)

Shelter Dog Lover

SKM - 2019-03-08 3:00 PM

rodeomom3 - 2019-03-08 1:24 PM

If that is what you got out of my novel, you really missed the point. I can compare humans to equine’s simply because the point is...all athletes risk some type of injury. Human or equine. I’ve personally witnessed as horrific injuries on the track as I have with barrel horses and bucking horses. None of the equine fatalities I’ve witnessed first hand could have been prevented unless you simply let them hang out in the pasture. But come to think of it...even that can lead to catastrophic injury. I’ve lived that too. But to get back on point, where Sabra Anita is concerned...the numbers point to something being way off. And I’m not talking simple training.

We aren’t talking about the kill pen here. That’s a whole other can of worms. But if you are blaming TB trainers for the problem, then you’d better be equally blaming any owner that dumps a horse in a sale because they’ve out lived their purpose. 

I got your point but I see a difference between people choosing to take risk and asking an animal to take a risk.  I feel as the stewards of these animals it is our responsibility to minimize that risk for them since they can’t do that by themselves.  If that is being done for them, great.  I specifically said I WAS NOT blaming over population of horses and kill pens on the race track industry so I don’t know where you got  that. 

Edited by rodeomom3 2019-03-08 8:11 PM
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-03-08 9:41 PM (#7424599 - in reply to #7424576)

My Heart Be Happy

SKM - 2019-03-08 3:05 PM

And for the record...no one is trying to justify what happened at Santa Anita. Everyone agrees that something is wrong. It’s a case of some people saying, “Look, something is off. These aren’t normal numbers. They are extremely high so what’s causing this?” Others are saying “Grab the torch and pitchfork! These track people have no business with horses. Burn them at the stake”.

Maybe I should go back and read all the posts again, but I don't remember anyone wanting to tar and feather all track connections.   There is a problem , and I'm so glad they're making an effort to find out what it is.  Like I said, I don't think the owner, trainer, jockey is happy when it happens.  And you're probably right, most people in the stands likely aren't top notch/the most knowledgeable horse people.  They're there for the fun i imagine.  My feelings are that these are tragedies for which I hope they find an answer .   I think we can all agree that too many horses are dying and sorting out what the problem is can only be a good thing. . . 

Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-03-08 9:47 PM (#7424600 - in reply to #7424584)

My Heart Be Happy

Delta Cowgirl - 2019-03-08 4:31 PM

The horse deaths at the Santa Anita track are horrific and the fact the track has been closed while the powers-that-be identify and fix the issues have rocked the race-horse industry -- and certainly have caused much discussion within the horse world in general.  It's shone a spotlight on horse sports --  all horse sports.  Regardless of how you feel about horse-racing, perception is reality -- and the reality of this situaiton is that many anti-horse-racing, anti-animal ownership, groups, are definitely using it to gain support, donations and sympathy.  I have avoided 'politics' for years; however, within the few years I have become actively involved in my state's process in order to stay in the information loop -- and in order to be a voice of reason / education.   Lots of things regarding animals are perculating.... dog racing has been out-lawed in Florida.  There is legislation in three states right now that would ban any and all hunting dog sports activities.  Believe me -- horse activities are on the hit list, too. 

My working career required a lot of travel -- into the "cities" and areas where people know zero about farms, ranches, horses, cattle, etc.  It was eye-opening to talk with folks in these areas and learn how much they support ending rodeo, horse shows, dog shows and believe ranchers and farmers are cruel and inhumane.  As a farmer and horse owner, I spent many evenings over cocktails or at dinners speaking about the realities of ranches, farmers, etc.    As soon as my coworkers learned I 'lived on a farm' -- they were full of questions -- and accusations.  I am happy to say I was able to educate many and turn around their beliefs.... and in fact, some of those people, at my invitation, visited me here on my farm.  It was eye-opening for them and very educational.  So - if any of you have an opportunity to share your life with someone who knows zero about 'our world', please share!  We cannot stay in our happy horse bubble and expect things to continue as they are --- we are in their sights. 

scwebster
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2019-03-12 4:17 PM (#7424796 - in reply to #7424584)

Expert

Delta Cowgirl - 2019-03-08 4:31 PM

Ditto. I had a co-worker from Michigan who had questioned me about how horses are broken after he found out my family was in the horse business. He thought horses were broken the same way they are depicted on old westerns...just roped and saddled and bucked out til they can't buck anymore. I explained that wasn't reality these days. Horses are handled and gentle by the time the leg actually goes over their back for the first time and many dont buck much or at all. It was eye opening for him especially once he realized how much we value our animals. My brother in law is a CEO in Houston. Neither he or my sister grew up in the country. They asked me if bull ropes "were really tied around the bulls testicles to cause them to buck". I sucessfully debunked that one too. I think it is so important to do what you just said. Educate people who do not know. Invite them out, change their minds.

MS2011
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-03-14 4:47 PM (#7424972 - in reply to #7424372)

Own It and Move On

Interesting article today -

Santa Anita Implements Lasix Ban, Increased Restrictions On Therapeutic Drugs Following 22nd Fatal Breakdown

by | 03.14.2019 | 4:26pm

https://www.paulickreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SantaAnitaB... 128w, https://www.paulickreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SantaAnitaB... 240w, https://www.paulickreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SantaAnitaB... 684w, https://www.paulickreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SantaAnitaB... 450w" alt="" width="1000" height="667" />

The following statement was distributed to media Thursday afternoon as an “open letter” from Stronach Group chairman and president Belinda Stronach following the track's 22nd fatal breakdown during morning training at Santa Anita. 

What has happened at Santa Anita over the last few weeks is beyond heartbreaking. It is unacceptable to the public and, as people who deeply love horses, to everyone at The Stronach Group and Santa Anita.

The sport of horse racing is the last great sporting legacy platform to be modernized. If we expect our sport to grow for future generations, we must raise our standards.

Today, I'm announcing The Stronach Group will take the unprecedented step of declaring a zero tolerance for race day medication at Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields. These Thoroughbred racetracks will be the first in North America to follow the strict International Federation of Horseracing Authorities (IFHA) standards.

We have arrived at a watershed moment.  The Stronach Group has long been a strong advocate for the abolishment of race-day medication, but we will wait no longer for the industry to come together as one to institute these changes. Nor will we wait for the legislation required to undertake this paradigm shift. We are taking a stand and fully recognize just how disruptive this might be.

This mandate encompasses a complete revision of the current medication policy to improve the safety of our equine and human athletes and to raise the integrity of our sport.

Shadwell Farm

These revisions comprise best practices currently employed at racetracks around the world:

• Banning the use of Lasix.
  • Increasing the ban on legal therapeutic NSAIDS, joint injections, shockwave therapy, and anabolic steroids.
  • Complete transparency of all veterinary records.
  • Significantly increasing out-of-competition testing.
  • Increasing the time required for horses to be on-site prior to a race.
  • A substantial investment by The Stronach Group in diagnostic equipment to aid in the early detection of pre-existing conditions.
  • Horses in training are only allowed therapeutic medication with a qualified veterinary diagnosis.

Additionally, it is time to address the growing concern about use of the riding crop. A cushion crop should only be used as a corrective safety measure. While we firmly believe our jockeys have not purposely been mistreating their mounts, it is time to make this change.

These modernizations are in addition to the previously announced commitment to the continued engagement of outside experts to regularly review our dirt, turf and synthetic courses for consistency, composition and compaction to create the safest racing surfaces in the world.

We will be continuing our daily conversations with industry stakeholders to further define these transformative guidelines. But make no mistake: these changes will be implemented. The time to discuss “why” these advancements must take place is over. The only thing left to discuss is “how.”

There are some who will take a stand and tell us that it cannot be done. To them we say “the health and welfare of the horses will always come first.” We also say '”not only can it be done, it is what we are doing.” Racing at Santa Anita and Golden Gate is a privilege, it is not a right.

Ultimately, we recognize the owners and trainers of these horses have the final responsibility to assess their fitness for racing and training. Our goal is to make every resource available to aid them in that determination. We are all in this together to make the horse the first priority.

Our COO, Tim Ritvo, has been a horseman for almost four decades. As he said, “The time has come for this industry to evolve.  It must do so for the sake of the horses and the people who depend on this sport for their livelihoods.  Moving to international standards will help to set the right foundation for racing and fairness.  We love the sport of horse racing and want it to succeed today, tomorrow and long into the future.”

We've spoken with the California Horse Racing Board and they will be holding a meeting on March 21 at which the situation at Santa Anita Park will be addressed. In the interim, Chairman Chuck Winner told us he personally appreciates the initiatives that The Stronach Group announced today. The Chairman said, “The safety of horses and riders has been, is, and will be the primary concern of the CHRB. The CHRB has been working with The Stronach Group and the various stakeholders to achieve a common objective, which is the best possible conditions for the health and safety of our equine competitors.”

Organizations who advocate for animal welfare have also affirmed their support for these measures. Kathy Guillermo, Senior Vice President for PETA said, “PETA thanks Santa Anita for standing up to all those who have used any means to force injured or unfit horses to run. This is a historic moment for racing and PETA urges every track to recognize that the future is now and to follow suit. This groundbreaking plan will not bring back the 22 horses who have died recently, but it will prevent the deaths of many more and will set a new standard for racing that means less suffering for Thoroughbreds.”

These initiatives are a seismic shift in how the sport has been conducted for centuries.  We are pleased that Stuart S. Janney III, Chairman of The Jockey Club, which has long supported the Horseracing Integrity Act, said, “We applaud The Stronach Group for its announcement today to effect sweeping changes at Santa Anita, which would bring them on par with the strict standards seen in major international racing jurisdictions.”

Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, has also voiced their agreement with these new changes.  Joe Harper, CEO said, “Del Mar has and will continue to support discussions and implementation of measures that enhance the safety and welfare of our athletes. We are committed to working with Santa Anita, The Stronach Group and other industry stakeholders to continue to improve.”

We recognize this will impact our field size as horses and horsemen adjust to this new standard. There will be horses that will not be able to race because they have required medication to do so. For those horses, we are prepared to dedicate the capital required to rehabilitate, retrain, rehome and provide aftercare for them. They deserve nothing less.

We are taking a step forward and saying, quite emphatically, that the current system is broken. While the cause of the injuries on the racetrack might be varied, they have one thing in common: the industry has yet to do everything that can be done to prevent them. That changes today.

First and foremost, we must do right by the horse.  When we do right by the horse, everything – everything – will follow.

Gulfstream Park
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-03-14 5:04 PM (#7424975 - in reply to #7424372)

A Somebody to Everybody

I didnt read all the posts on here and dont keep up with tracks, but what was the time frame of these 22 horses dying? Did they all die within months of each other or did this happen over like say a 5 year period? Like I'm saying I dont watch racing so really dont know.. 

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software