Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dishonest sellers
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-03-20 10:34 AM
32 replies, 2132 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

merdth6
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2019-03-12 9:23 AM (#7424759)
Subject: Dishonest sellers

Expert

Sorry but I need to vent. I can not stand dishonest sellers! There are enough dumb things that can happen while riding a horse, but when a seller knows a horse has a bucking issue don't lie to sell the horse. This was a well priced horse too!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
okhorselover
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2019-03-12 10:29 AM (#7424765 - in reply to #7424759)
Subject: RE: Dishonest sellers

Extreme Veteran

Yes it is wrong. I know a couple of people who do this & it sucks. Gives the reputable horse sellers a bad name. Anymore, one needs to drug test before buying unless you know for a fact your dealing with an honest person. I'm sorry you got a bad deal. Hopefully you can get the problem corrected may-be with a trainer who is reputable. 

merdth6
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2019-03-12 10:42 AM (#7424767 - in reply to #7424765)

Expert

This didn't happen to me but a close friend. Horse had injured the current owner a couple of times, but did not disclose this to potential buyer. I just don't understand why people need to be so careless. My friend now has a broken shoulder as the result. According to social media, this horse has a history of this. I just don't understand the thought process. 

Frodo
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-03-12 10:55 AM (#7424769 - in reply to #7424759)

"Heck's Coming With Me"

A horse that bucks is at least fixable.......it's soundness issues that often aren't.  Selling an unsound horse as sound is despicable.  We've purchased a couple from people who we considered reputable and even friends.  

bbennington
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2019-03-12 12:09 PM (#7424773 - in reply to #7424759)

Extreme Veteran

Unfortunately these type of people will always exist in the horse world and will always find someone new to HANG a horse on.

There are dishonest Buyer as well.

merdth6
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2019-03-12 2:56 PM (#7424787 - in reply to #7424759)

Expert

Wether the horse is sound or not, does not excuse the seller from being honest about what the horse has done in the past. Yes I agree unsound horses can buck, and sometimes no matter how many tests are done, the problem may not be found. There is no reason to be so careless with someone's life.  If the horse bucks be honest about it. I've sold horses that have bucked before and it was disclosed in the sale. I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't even understand the thought process! 

emricmacy
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2019-03-12 3:34 PM (#7424792 - in reply to #7424759)

Elite Veteran

It really is terrible! I bought an unsound horse that was sold as sound, and when they delivered him two days later he was three legged lame. I had to put him down in December

I learned a lot from it..but it was heartbreaking to put him down..I miss him everyday! 

camocowgirl
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-03-13 7:17 PM (#7424911 - in reply to #7424759)

Unable to Live Without Chocolate or Coffee

It really gets my blood boiling. I bought a “kids” safe trail horse that bucked like a rodeo bronc. About killed me and they still denied it when I called them and told them. They wouldn’t buy it back or anything. And he was a “certified horse trainer” what a load of bs.  

Also I bought a nice ranch gelding that ended up dead lame . two vets verified it was an older injury and horse was sold to me that way!

Sorry but yes they are lots of liars out there. It’s horrible

Edited by camocowgirl 2019-03-15 5:26 PM
Gator Bug
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-03-13 9:11 PM (#7424917 - in reply to #7424787)

Elite Veteran

merdth6 - 2019-03-12 2:56 PM

Wether the horse is sound or not, does not excuse the seller from being honest about what the horse has done in the past. Yes I agree unsound horses can buck, and sometimes no matter how many tests are done, the problem may not be found. There is no reason to be so careless with someone's life.  If the horse bucks be honest about it. I've sold horses that have bucked before and it was disclosed in the sale. I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't even understand the thought process! 

I totally agree with everything you have said in all the posts.

Just asking some questions to get insight...

Did your friend ride the horse prior to buying?

Does she think now it was drugged if she did? You can’t always see drugging. I like to call and come unannounced... a second time to ride. 

Did she buy local or out of state?

I am so very, very sorry that your friend had this happen.  That is just awful.

Edited by Gator Bug 2019-03-13 9:14 PM
merdth6
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2019-03-18 9:22 AM (#7425141 - in reply to #7424917)

Expert

Gator Bug - 2019-03-13 9:11 PM

merdth6 - 2019-03-12 2:56 PM

I totally agree with everything you have said in all the posts.

Just asking some questions to get insight...

Did your friend ride the horse prior to buying?

Does she think now it was drugged if she did? You can’t always see drugging. I like to call and come unannounced... a second time to ride. 

Did she buy local or out of state?

I am so very, very sorry that your friend had this happen.  That is just awful.

My friend did go and ride the horse prior to buying. She rode him and ran a pattern on him. She did not know the horse, he was out of state. She flew in to try him out, then bought him. She wanted to ride him again with the owner, so flew in again to get some insight on how to ride him well around barrels. After the horse bucked her off, she found a bunch of things on facebook about what he had done to the current owner. All of the owners friends also know how this horse can be. She did get her money back after the horse bucked her off, but this person still has him for sale and has not disclosed any this. She did delete everything on facebook. Horse's barn name was 911.

Whinny19
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2019-03-18 9:48 AM (#7425145 - in reply to #7424759)

Brains Behind the Operation...

Years ago, a friend had me go with her while she was horse shopping. One of the horses on her list was being sold by a shady trader. Seller got on the horse, started attempting some circles while giving us her usual trader spiel. Actually had the gall to say, "This horse doesn't have an ounce of buck in her!" as the horse was literally crowhopping around a circle. That was an entertaining afternoon...

CJE
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-03-18 9:48 AM (#7425146 - in reply to #7424759)

Famous for Not Complaining

Its all aboout money and people really don't give a da**....whether it bucks, or unsound it doesn't matter to them.......this horse is dangerous to me is even worse........

want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-03-18 10:16 AM (#7425147 - in reply to #7424759)

Warrior Mom

Happened to my nephew.. he purchased a finished rope horse for 10k .. he went and tried the horse 3 different times and all was well.. obviously the horse had been sedated those times because he was a mellow angel. He bought him and took him home. Went to a roping that weekend and the horse launched his butt right out the box... it happened over and over again ... after pain was ruled out thru a vet check and xrays horse was clean.. just a dirty bucker...  he began working with him at home.. when hed leave the box hed go to launch him my nephew would wear his butt out with his rope... after about 5 times,  the horse quit... now hes great and they are cleaning up at ropings.  So there is hope but it.stinks to have to find out the hard way! 

sandygirl1
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2019-03-18 12:13 PM (#7425160 - in reply to #7424759)

Veteran

It is sad.......I see a horse advertised right now for good money that is dangerous!  The write up sounds wonderful and horse is priced high....Buyer beware!  I sold a true 1D horse (placed 5th out of 350+ horses our last competition) for less than I could have because I knew thenhorse was going to a great lady. I also wanted a vet check done so there was not issues that came along after.  It is too bad there are those dishonest people out there who only think of the money.......makes it tough for the honest sellers.

OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2019-03-18 12:54 PM (#7425163 - in reply to #7424759)

Married to a Louie Lover

There are dishonest sellers.

A buyer needs to be a good judge of horse flesh.  If they aren’t they need to take someone with them who is.

Buyers also need to be honest with themselves about their skill level.

We have a head horse for sale.  He’s priced very reasonably for his talent because of maintenance.  If you don’t keep him worked and warm him up well, he will buck.  If you want to run all your steers 3/4 of the way down the pen before you rope them, he’s going to start to get ****y - he’s doing his job and giving you a shot out front and you’re not taking it.

As an honest seller I’m going to be upfront about this.  If you buy the horse, take him home and let him sit for 2 weeks and go straight to the roping pen and get bucked off - who’s fault is that?  And are you going to admit it’s your fault or are you going to go to social media and rip my and my husband’s program to shreds?  People’s tendency to do that this day in age make me nervous - there’s 2 sides to every story but so often the other side never gets a chance.

I’d be lying if I wasn’t a little nervous of selling him even though we need to and to the right home he’s a great horse.

want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-03-18 1:34 PM (#7425165 - in reply to #7425163)

Warrior Mom

OhMax - 2019-03-18 12:54 PM

A buyer needs to be a good judge of horse flesh.  If they aren’t they need to take someone with them who is.

We have a head horse for sale.  He’s priced very reasonably for his talent because of maintenance.  If you don’t keep him worked and warm him up well, he will buck.  If you want to run all your steers 3/4 of the way down the pen before you rope them, he’s going to start to get ****y - he’s doing his job and giving you a shot out front and you’re not taking it.

As an honest seller I’m going to be upfront about this.  If you buy the horse, take him home and let him sit for 2 weeks and go straight to the roping pen and get bucked off - who’s fault is that?  And are you going to admit it’s your fault or are you going to go to social media and rip my and my husband’s program to shreds?  People’s tendency to do that this day in age make me nervous - there’s 2 sides to every story but so often the other side never gets a chance.

I’d be lying if I wasn’t a little nervous of selling him even though we need to and to the right home he’s a great horse.

I think as long as you are 100% upfront about this horses "quirks" its definitely the buyers responsibility to keep that horse rode and roping and taking his shots early on. Wouldn't be my cup of tea but I bet there is someone out there that likes that... if they let horse sit and he tosses them off, its buyers fault. In the case of my nephews debacle, they were dishonest sellers, he tried to call the sellers and they acted really surprised and then quit taking his calls about trying to bring the horse back, get a refund ... so he just decided to try and fix him... hes young and can still bounce lol! Now he can let this horse sit for months and hop on him and hes fine. Hes one of the lucky ones, I know that's not typical.  With so much on social media now it's pretty easy to do your research on horses and buyers, with a little effort. I'm not in the market but if I found something I just had to have , I'd be scouring the internet on the sellers, the jockeys that rode the horse and the horse itself. Unfortunately,  dishonest sellers will still find a way to cover up issues and move horses to unsuspecting people. I try to buy from people I know...last 3 horses we purchased was from our trainer.... so if I start having an issue or need help tuning, i go right back to him. In fact I bought a 3 yr old from him several years back and I tried for a year to get with this horse, we just couldn't get along... he ended up taking the horse back and let me ride another horse he had just finished for a few weeks I ended up buying him with the trade for the other. It worked out great so from now I try only to buy thru him. He stands behind his sales 100% 

Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-03-18 2:44 PM (#7425171 - in reply to #7424759)

A Somebody to Everybody

Theres not only dishonest sellers but there is dishonest buyers too.. They buy a high caliber barrel horse and then they cant ride it and start blaming the seller for selling them a nice horse they cant ride and make up cra* about the sellers and horse saying they are going to sue them for selling them the horse..Seen it all on here..

FLITASTIC
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2019-03-18 2:48 PM (#7425172 - in reply to #7425171)

Expert

Southtxponygirl - 2019-03-18 12:44 PM

Theres not only dishonest sellers but there is dishonest buyers too.. They buy a high caliber barrel horse and then they cant ride it and start blaming the seller for selling them a nice horse they cant ride and make up cra* about the sellers and horse saying they are going to sue them for selling them the horse..Seen it all on here..

oHHH YES, I remember that!

merdth6
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2019-03-18 2:49 PM (#7425173 - in reply to #7425163)

Expert

OhMax - 2019-03-18 12:54 PM

If this lady had been honest about the horse bucking, that would be one thing! My point of this whole post is being honest about what the horse is. All horses can buck, and ulcers just from traveling from old home to new home can make a horse buck. I'm not dumb to the fact that a horse can change when it sold.  This person had this horse break her femur and pelvis a couple years ago, then most recently she broke her back. These are things you need to be up front about!  This horse had not even left the owners hands yet, my friend got bucked off at her house while the horse was in a trot. This is wrong.

MOGirl07
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2019-03-18 2:54 PM (#7425174 - in reply to #7424759)

Elite Veteran

Threads/stories like this make me so nervous to buy when I go to purchase another. Mainly because I have kids, and they go to the barn with me daily. I keep a very close eye on them and will discipline them if they run off or go somewhere they're not supposed to be, or do something they're not supposed to do. But that said, crap happens when horses are spooky and flighty around kids. I need kid safe (on the ground) horses at my house and I'll be explicit about that expectation when I go to buy. If someone straight up lied to me in this area about a horse I purchased, I'd be livid. 

On the flip side, as far as buyers being honest about their abilities or experience - absolutely! I know I don't have a ton of time to school one, train one, I do good to ride 4x a week for 45 min, and I'll tell someone that. If the horse is going to be a bucking fool if I don't ride it 6x per week for an hr, I'm not the rider for that horse. If it's blown up, I don't have time, or the experience for that, and I know it. Regardless of how much money I do or don't have, I'm not going to go out and buy a quirky 1d/2d horse bc I KNOW I will end up in the dirt or frustrate the heck out of the horse at best. 

Two sides to that coin many times, as others have mentioned. I'm sorry your friend got hurt, OP :(

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software