Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
If you're a school kid in New York City....
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-03-15 12:05 PM
26 replies, 795 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Frodo
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-03-14 12:27 PM (#7424946 - in reply to #7424943)
Subject: RE: If you're a school kid in New York City....

"Heck's Coming With Me"

krape - 2019-03-14 12:13 PM

I feel like it's Michelle Obama all over again.  The government has not bussiness or right to tell us what we/school needs to feed our kids.  This is all about the "Green New Deal" if you are keeping up with the news.  AOC wants to ban cows, air, travel, all fossil fuel.  I know we all get tired of hearing these thins but best to know what is going on.  3 Muslim congress women....better be scared.  Crazy

Absolutely ties into the Green New Deal and the journey to the extreme left.  At one time DeBlasio wanted the city of New York to aquire ownership of every building in the City.  Their crime rate is skyrocketing.  Yet they just keep voting him in just like the nutburgers in California keep voting in far left governors.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2019-03-14 2:06 PM (#7424960 - in reply to #7424854)

I just read the headlines

want2chase3 - 2019-03-13 10:02 AM

I got lazy and started putting money into my kids accounts at school for lunches instead of making them at home. After spring break is over theyve asked me to start preparing their lunches again, except Wednesdays, that's pizza day.. they said everything else during the week is nasty now. I'm going back to making homemade lunches so I know what my kids are getting and most likely I'll save some $$$ ! Each year they MAKE us fill out a form to see if we qualify for reduced or free lunches.. we never do but it's such a pain to fill out all that stuff.. they need a certain amount of applications I guess to get funding for it. I dont like the way some of these programs work. So what if your child brings lunch from home on this meatless Monday and hes got a big juicy ham sammich!!? 

My kids school does that too.  I used to really pi^& them off by not sending it in, then they would CALL me to remind me. I told them we didn't need free lunches, but they said state law said they needed one on every kid, so I signed it and wrote in N/A we have jobs and can afford to pay for lunches. Well, that set them off, but I told them either accept it or don't I don't care, my husband and I had pride in the fact we worked hard to be able to care for our kids.  They finally left me alone.

angelica
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2019-03-14 2:55 PM (#7424963 - in reply to #7424783)

I Really Love Jeans

I send my kids lunch daily because the food the school provides is not always the best quality. My son takes whatever he wants even cokes and nobody says anything. My daughters PE class did two weeks of skeet shooting, I sent money to the school to pay for the shot gun shells! Of course I don’t live in a snowflake state either! I live in a real American state that’s still AMERICAN!

Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-03-14 9:39 PM (#7424981 - in reply to #7424960)

My Heart Be Happy

GLP - 2019-03-14 2:06 PM

I got lazy and started putting money into my kids accounts at school for lunches instead of making them at home. After spring break is over theyve asked me to start preparing their lunches again, except Wednesdays, that's pizza day.. they said everything else during the week is nasty now. I'm going back to making homemade lunches so I know what my kids are getting and most likely I'll save some $$$ ! Each year they MAKE us fill out a form to see if we qualify for reduced or free lunches.. we never do but it's such a pain to fill out all that stuff.. they need a certain amount of applications I guess to get funding for it. I dont like the way some of these programs work. So what if your child brings lunch from home on this meatless Monday and hes got a big juicy ham sammich!!? 

My kids school does that too.  I used to really pi^& them off by not sending it in, then they would CALL me to remind me. I told them we didn't need free lunches, but they said state law said they needed one on every kid, so I signed it and wrote in N/A we have jobs and can afford to pay for lunches. Well, that set them off, but I told them either accept it or don't I don't care, my husband and I had pride in the fact we worked hard to be able to care for our kids.  They finally left me alone.

I filled it out the first year because the school said they just needed the forms and everyone would get the lunches regardless.   The next year they said the program had changed and they knew I wouldn't qualify but please fill it out anyway to benefit "the other kids."  I wrote on the form that it wasn't their business what I made . Principal called and said they needed so many forms to have the program . I told her I wasn't being tacky but it didn't help me out so I wasn't telling anyone our household income.  She wasn't happy but I guess not a lot she could do! 

3canstorun
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2019-03-15 7:38 AM (#7424988 - in reply to #7424981)

Hugs to You

Chandler's Mom - 2019-03-14 10:39 PM

GLP - 2019-03-14 2:06 PM

I filled it out the first year because the school said they just needed the forms and everyone would get the lunches regardless.   The next year they said the program had changed and they knew I wouldn't qualify but please fill it out anyway to benefit "the other kids."  I wrote on the form that it wasn't their business what I made . Principal called and said they needed so many forms to have the program . I told her I wasn't being tacky but it didn't help me out so I wasn't telling anyone our household income.  She wasn't happy but I guess not a lot she could do! 

Every kid here in our county gets free meals.  They used to ask us to fill them out too.  I put $1 for our annual income.  They couldn't ask me for proof.  So, just to be helpful, from now on put that. 

want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-03-15 8:24 AM (#7424989 - in reply to #7424783)

Warrior Mom

I love our little school but honestly I feel things are shifting gears ... I feel they are getting more concerned with government funding than what's best for our kids. Take the attendance policy... I understand that the kids are required to be there but where do you draw the line with kids that are really sick.. we just went thru a big flu epidemic kids were showing up at school sick because if they missed school us parents get threatening letters and the kid has to attend Saturday school... I was told by a reliable source,  a little secret about this Saturday school nonsense.. said the school cannot force your child to come to Saturday school to "make up" missed sick days, the letters are just bluffs and theres nothing they can do if you dont send your child. They threaten truancy court as well... even with drs notes . I'm guessing if they dont get a certain attendance numbers they dont get funding... my youngest son was home 4 days with the flu with a drs note excusing him ... surprisingly I haven't received any notes about attendance. I started keeping copies of the drs notes at home in case they try to tell me they have unexcused absences, its happened in the past. Sorry a but off topic but it really gets my blood boiling! 

Edited by want2chase3 2019-03-15 8:57 AM
MOGirl07
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2019-03-15 12:05 PM (#7425010 - in reply to #7424878)

Elite Veteran

mtcanchazer - 2019-03-13 1:20 PM

NJJ - 2019-03-12 7:57 PM

I guess that I see it as no worse than FISH FRIDAY .... in my public school days that was ALL you got on Fridays ..... EVERY Friday .... FISH sticks !!!

Was it a Catholic school? Here, even the Catholic schools have to make meat available on Friday (even though no [coughs] self-respecting Catholic is supposed to eat meat on Friday), that is a state law.

Good grief, Charlie Brown, what will they think of next?

This is OT (my comment), sorry. Most of my coworkers are Catholic. The office is full of fish lunches on Fridays. I just so happened to make tilapia last night for dinner and it was so good I decided to bring some for lunch. I just had a coworker say, "But I thought Baptists didn't observe Lent."

Anyway, as per this new law....If I were a parent with a parent in an NYC school, I'd be pretty peeved with this. Who are you to tell me what my kid can or can't eat? Granted, I suppose I could, and I definitely would make my child's lunch. My kids live on lunch meat and beef hotdogs. But what about the kids on free lunches, and like some mentioned, that is the only good meal they get that day? 

It's ridiculous that a governor would even begin to concern himself with what is served for school lunches. Doesn't he have bigger fish to fry? (Pun intended, because it's Friday. LOL!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software