Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone have a horse diagnosed with degenerated bone of the sesamiod?
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-03-15 1:00 PM
4 replies, 335 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dawnb
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2019-03-13 8:24 PM (#7424914)
Subject: Anyone have a horse diagnosed with degenerated bone of the sesamiod?

I keep my change in my pockets

i have a mare that diagnosed with the sesamiod bones in the rear leg degenerating. Basically they are hollowing out from the inside out.  He sent the exrays out to a university plus a good horse and they have never seen anything like it. Has anyone dealt with this?  The out look is not good.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-03-13 10:31 PM (#7424921 - in reply to #7424914)
Subject: RE: Anyone have a horse diagnosed with degenerated bone of the sesamiod?

My Heart Be Happy

Bump

Herbie
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-03-14 9:12 AM (#7424932 - in reply to #7424914)
Subject: RE: Anyone have a horse diagnosed with degenerated bone of the sesamiod?

Military family

Whack and Roll

Yes, it was due to an acute injury where the horse either kicked a fence or stepped in a whole overflexing the fetlock and causing the soft tissue to tear away from the bone....we found him in the pasture that way.  Very little swelling, but non weight bearing.  Diagnosis, via MRI, was necrosis of the sesamoid bones due to the ligament running through the fetlock was pulled away from the bones, causing them to deteriorate.  This is a tough injury for many reasons, one of which was lack of blood flow and it's a tight space to get in there for surgery.  We first went to OE and they didn't feel as though surgery was an option and felt like it would do more harm than good.  Gave a few other options like shockwave, PRP, etc, but even then prognosis was not good.  Got a second opinion from another facility and the vet had actually been at the MRI facility the day after this case was evaluated and discussed it there, given the seriousness of the injury and how uncommon it was.  He also had just read a study on this same type injury since he hadn't seen it before and it being so difficult to treat/manage prior to scheduling an appt for a second opinion.  He felt like surgery was an option and was the ONLY option.  He explained that if the necrotic bone was not removed and the joint cleaned out, that there was no chance the horse would improve, but rather continue to worsen.  Even with surgery, prognosis was slim.  The horse underwent surgery and then stayed in their rehab facility for the next 6 months.  He is home, and while he will never be 100%, I would say he's 85% and is able to live out a comfortable life in the pasture.  He runs and plays like he did before, but you can still see it when he goes to stop.  Time will tell, as the vet who did the surgery said we may not really know what we had until a year and a half to two years later.  

Edited by Herbie 2019-03-14 9:16 AM
dawnb
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2019-03-14 7:53 PM (#7424980 - in reply to #7424914)

I keep my change in my pockets

Thank you for the information. We bred and raised this mare and I know of only 2 injuries that occurred, both r old injuries.  The last couple of years she would have lameness that would come and go. But then she went down hill.  Our farrier has her in a clog shoe so she can get around.  We told the same thing not a good outlook for the horse. Thank you again.

Herbie
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-03-15 1:00 PM (#7425016 - in reply to #7424980)

Military family

Whack and Roll

dawnb - 2019-03-14 7:53 PM

Thank you for the information. We bred and raised this mare and I know of only 2 injuries that occurred, both r old injuries.  The last couple of years she would have lameness that would come and go. But then she went down hill.  Our farrier has her in a clog shoe so she can get around.  We told the same thing not a good outlook for the horse. Thank you again.

I will keep you, and her, in my prayers! 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software