Folks on-line
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Getting people to help at jackpots
Moderators: luluwhit, gotothewhip, crossspur, ForumAdmin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-05-21 12:12 AM
23 replies, 1029 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NJJ
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2019-05-20 9:59 AM (#7429426 - in reply to #7429165)
Subject: RE: Getting people to help at jackpots

Military family

Fact Checker

Delta Cowgirl - 2019-05-15 3:54 PM

Katielovestbs - 2019-05-15 3:39 PM

I would get in touch with your local 4h clubs! Our 4h girls always help out at the jackpots. It qualifies as a volunteer event, and helps gives them projects and responsibilities. 

I think this is a great idea -- if you have an active local 4-H club.  I'd up the office charge in order to make a donation to the 4-H club to help support their activities -- and let folks know why the office charge increased, i.e. to assure the jackpot has workers and to donate to a good cause!   When I was managing/producing breed shows I hired ag students from a local college -- I contacted a professor there and let him know I needed hired help and they would be paid; would get to meet many equine professionals, and get a free lunch and should dress 'western' -- jeans, long-sleeved shirt and hat.  I ended up with four students who stayed with me for the duration of my time producing shows - they were awesome.  Participants loved them - as they got to know these kids over time and our shows ran so much faster and so smooth.....  win-win for students, participants and me :)  I treated them very professionally -- we had 'training' so they knew they jobs / expectations. 

^^^ THIS .... we put on team penning/sorting events for two years. I paid my workers (announcers/flagger). For other jobs (gate, changing cattle, etc) when available, I hired 4-H kids. I also let them run an eat stand and sell 50/50 raffles to make money for their clubs. Most times, those who won the raffle donated the money back to the club.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
JcNhEmI
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2019-05-20 2:41 PM (#7429457 - in reply to #7429135)

Living within my means

Our little local club puts all the members in a hat and draws for 3 barrel setters, then you are suppose to set at the next race. 

I do know some people, myself included, don't get a membership so they're not in the pool to draw from. I don't go to enough to make it worth buying a membership. 

I'm not sure if they're still doing that this year or not, I also don't know how it worked last year. I do know some people go drawn more than others. 

You could try that or if you don't help at X amount of races you're not eligible for year end awards. .

I also knew a kid who needed community service hours so I told him I'd sign him time for it if he would set barrels. he did quite a few races to get his hours. 

euchee
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-05-20 10:30 PM (#7429487 - in reply to #7429135)

Lived to tell about it and will never do it again

One of the reasons that I quit the NBHA's was because we put on team ropings for 20+ years.  I worked enough at those that I really just wanted to go somewhere that I couild compete and have a good time and relax, not have to work more.  We paid on average 6 people at our ropings.  Hire outside people to set barrels, work gates and announce.  Expecting people to work for free when they are there to relax/compete and have a good time isn't reasonable.  Charge the extra money to pay for the help.  

barrel racing addict
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2019-05-21 12:12 AM (#7429491 - in reply to #7429135)

Regular

At several of our jackpot shows we have around here we have a sign up sheet for people to work the gate & for which class, who's gonna set barrels & for which class......they get to chose the barrel they want to set. We put the names in a drawing & 2 people get a free open entry fee at the next show.  This way not one person is setting a barrel the entire show. It makes it a lot nicer & we get a lot of volunteers that way & they get their name in for a free open entry. 

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software