Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Who went Keto?

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-07-15 2:18 PM
18 replies, 996 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

JFlynn
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2019-06-23 1:50 PM
Subject: Who went Keto?

Veteran

I tried Keto (very loosely) last Nov and Dec and lost almost 20 lbs and then life struck and I fell off the wagon. I'm just getting started again. Those that have tried and/or are currently Keto...do you have any tips to help me keep on track?

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OutlawsLastDance
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2019-06-23 2:50 PM
Subject: RE: Who went Keto?

Elite Veteran

I did, starting in January and went until the end of February. I got the flu and at that point I ate anything I could keep down, which wasn't usually Keto friendly. I fell off the wagon at that point and haven't been strictly back to it since. I still make some of the recipes I made when I was on it just because they were good and easy, but I eat oatmeal for breakfast, our favorite food group is pizza, and I love wine.

I think the easiest part that helped keep me on track was I was seeing the weight come off. That was such a big motivator for me because other diets in the past were so slow. And most of the food we ate when I did it, was quick to prepare. Hard boiled eggs, omelets, Tuna, taco bowls (no shell). Most of it was super quick. Meat and a veggie.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-06-23 4:31 PM

Warrior Mom

I'm doing it... sorta ... I also do intermittent fasting and I really like it. I workout in the morning, weight training and then 45 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach. At first it was kinda tough but I'm adjusted now and feel better than ever. I've lost almost 30 lbs. I allow more freedom on foods on the weekends but dont go overboard.  Like this morning,  at church, I had half a donut ... just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth! Tonight we are grilling burgers, I'll have mine keto style but will have a few steak fries because,  I love them and I allow treats on weekends. I love cooking keto suppers my whole family eats it and likes it. I find pretty much all my recipes online. You just really cant get bored with it there are many options! I take extra magnesium and potassium along with a fish oil pill and my daily vitamin and I didnt get any of the keto flu. Plus I drink a lot of water everyday. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
oija
Reg. Feb 2012
Posted 2019-06-23 5:46 PM

Expert

I am and am reasonably strict. Haven’t fallen off the wagon. I started in early March and have been consistent since then. ‘Cheating’ for me means a keto friendly cake or glass of wine. But I always drink stuff that has only 1 or 2 carbs and plan ahead. I use the Carb Manager app and track consistently everyday all my carbs, protein, fat and calories. My husband is also eating low carb though he doesn’t track. He doesn’t really have too since I control our meals pretty well. One of the biggest helps to me is finding several awesome cookbooks and blogs and using google to find new recipes to find substitutes for things we like. My husband has commented that he does not feel deprived at all because I cook constantly. I make bread, rolls, muffins, cakes. I work hard to use a variety of low carb friendly veggies and protein sources. The fact is, if you are willing to cook or meal prep, you shouldn’t feel like you are missing anything. If you like wine, drink champagne or dark red wines like Cab. They tend to have much lower carb counts. I love the Truly hard selzers or White Claw, especially the berry ones. 2g carbs, 100 calories. And of course I love Margaritas. There is even a company called Be Mixed that sells cocktails mixes for things like margaritas and Moscow mules. Hell I found a recipe for Creme brûlée I am going to try. I made phillycheasteak soup with cheddar garlic rolls last night for dinner. I made a lemon poppyseed cake last week. We don’t go out anymore and My dishwasher is always busy. We eat more leftovers but we eat mostly Whole Foods or less processed foods and spend going out money on groceries instead. And yes you can have pizza with keto. Just use fathead dough or a cauliflower crust. I prefer the fathead dough. I have even made biscuits and gravy and they were amazing. I have lost 32 lbs now. My husband has lost over 50. We both still have a long way to go but this has to be a lifestyle change: I don’t feel like we are missing anything and we will shift over to a low carb diet, like 40-70 carbs after we have reached our goal weight to maintain. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
s_tellar
Reg. May 2019
Posted 2019-06-24 10:51 AM

I dooooo. I love Keto. I eat dirty keto so i still allow myself to cheat. 

I use www.dietdoctor.com for most of my resorces. 

I find it really easy, but i do not cound my macros or keep track of what i eat. so far down 30.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Kay-DRacing.
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2019-06-24 11:20 AM

Elite Veteran

Ive been keto for a few months now! It got easier for me once I was about 3 weeks in. I stopped craving the 'bad' stuff. My grocery bill is higher but I'm putting much better things into my body now. I have so much more energy being on this diet...it's insane. We crave pizza and mexican quite often so Quest pizza and Quest chips have been a game changer!!! I dont count my macros or anything like that but I generally keep my carb count around 40, roughly.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
bullhaulersbabe
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-07-10 10:35 AM

Expert

I started Keto in January and did really good until we had to move in May and fell off. Getting started again. I feel like crud!!!! I have found it cheaper to order the flours off Amazon, I use Swerve for the sugar and it is alot cheaper on there. And they always have deals going on where you can get the granulated, brown sugar and the powdered all together for one price. Pinterest has lots of recipes but you have to be careful sometime they say keto but they have regular flour or sugar. Here we have Sam's grocery store's and they are so much cheaper for the fruits because you get a bulk amount cheaper and they last longer. Just some tricks I found. Also I dont count the macros and all that. I also found some cheese crisps at Walmart today called Whisps in the deli area they are pretty good only 1g of sugar and 1-2g of carbs and they come in several flavors.

Edited by bullhaulersbabe 2019-07-10 10:36 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Sandok
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-07-10 11:30 AM

Elite Veteran

My problem is that I don't like to cook so I have trouble with any diet.  Unless I go strictly vegan.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
babbsywabbsy
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2019-07-10 11:53 AM

Veteran

I have been doing Keto since June 2017 and I LOVE IT! I have lost 40lbs (165-125, I'm 5'7"). I excercise twice a week with a trainer, run on the days I don't meet with my trainer, and then of course ride. Now that I'm at my goal weight of around 125-130, I cheat on the weekends and eat whatever I want (within reason, still mindful but if I want a cheeseburger, chips (my favorite), pizza, whatever, I go for it). For me it has been very easy to stick to. Also I take apple cider vinegar every morning. A typical day for me is 2 eggs with half and half and cheese for breakfast. Lunch I'll do a cucumber avocado salad with some type of meat and cheese on it with italian or ranch dressing. Dinner is any type of meat, typically grilled or baked and veggies or a salad. My boyfriend started it back in February and has already dropped around 30lbs. The only thing I drink is water and coffee. If I want alcohol I go for vodka with soda water or spiked seltzer for convenience. Another thing that helps me during a busy week is doing my meal prep about twice a week. (Sunday & Wednesday). It truly is a lifestyle change but I feel amazing. If I eat bread or sugar I feel sluggish and it upsets my stomach. The main thing is just avoid carbs and sugar as much as you can, and hey... if you want a treat every once in a while, eat one! :

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
lopinpretty09
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2019-07-11 11:24 AM

I have done the keto diet on and off for a couple of years. I don't know why I fall off the wagon b/c everytime I do, I feel awful. haha.

Things that help me are being prepared, look up keto casserole dishes or keto dinners on Pinterest. There are lots of yummy ones and its a like a food prep for me. 

The hardest part for me is traveling, thats usually when I cheat. I try to go to places like Subway where I can get a salad. If we have to eat gas station food I grab a hotdog or cheddarwurst if I must. Going to restaurants on keto is nice because I usually don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I.e. ordering a cheeseburger no bun, or chicken wings w/ ranch, steak, etc. Just leave out the sides or opt for a side salad. Mexican food is 9/10 times the reason i fall off the wagon, lol.  I'm sure you know what to eat but knowing these options always helps me stay on track because I knew the "safe places" or keto friendly foods available... I have little self control LOL. 

Also, have you used the little ketone testing strips? (they're made for diabetics) It sounds silly but using those were kind of like a game to me... it held me accountable. Sounds dumb but it helped me, in the AM I would check and it would motivate me like "YES, keep going". 

Hope that makes sense.. or helps :) Good luck

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
cavyrunsbarrels
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2019-07-11 12:51 PM

Red Bull Agressive

I tried keto a few months ago. Realized after less than 2 weeks that I don't handle much dairy well at all. Most keto recipes that interest me had a lot of cheese/cream so stopped keto. I have regrouped and have been easing into it this week with the addition of drinkable ketones to see if those help. I lost 80lbs but then have been stuck on a plateau since December so hopefully this will get me started in the right direction again! I have another 60lbs to lose.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-07-11 1:17 PM

Warrior Mom

I love my bullet proof coffee in the mornings! Gotta have it. I just find when I'm sticking to keto, I sleep better and generally feel better. When I do fall off and eat a heavy carb .. I'm actually more hungry and grumpy. Takes me a few days to get back into the swing of it but after that, its wonderful. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2019-07-12 8:40 AM

Married to a Louie Lover

I did.  I lost weight.

i was also crabby, low energy, and overall blah.

Yes I did everything I was suppose to - sodium, electrolytes, yadda yadda.

My body just didn’t like it.  I wanted to speak up because the whole time I was feeling like this my “support group” of successful keto people were just telling me to down chicken broth and I’d get over it - except I didn’t.  It was very frustrating.

But everyone is different.

I also did most of a Whole30 this winter (interrupted by vacation) and plan to do another one later this year when I have more time for meal prep etc.  I enjoyed that a lot more.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-07-12 9:12 AM

Warrior Mom

OhMax - 2019-07-12 8:40 AM

I did.  I lost weight.

My body just didn’t like it.  I wanted to speak up because the whole time I was feeling like this my “support group” of successful keto people were just telling me to down chicken broth and I’d get over it - except I didn’t.  It was very frustrating.

I also did most of a Whole30 this winter (interrupted by vacation) and plan to do another one later this year when I have more time for meal prep etc.  I enjoyed that a lot more.

Its definitely not for everyone. A friend of mine did it successfully for a year and then she went off it, went to go back on and her BP shot thru the roof and her whole menstrual cycle went berserk. Non stop... she did everything right as well. Some people just cant tolerate it. I'm glad I'm not one of them! But then again I'm not 100% keto either. I like to stick to clean, gluten and sugar free as much as possible. I think some people, not referring to anyone here, just in general from what I've heard, overdo it on unhealthy fats, like greasy double  bacon cheeseburgers and omit the bun, thinking they are doing themselves healthy.. or eating way too much cheese! I typically try to get all my carbs from vegetables and certain days I'll eat less starchy carbs like sweet potatoes, oatmeal or quinoa, even rice. But I've just gotten to the point where if I want a cheeseburger, I'll get one with the bun.. lol! Or pizza, I'll eat a few slices. It's rare. But I do it to keep my sanity! I see people on Facebook groups eating tons of processed lunch meats and cheeses thinking its healthy, in reality,  it's not really. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
s_tellar
Reg. May 2019
Posted 2019-07-12 9:58 AM

I did.  I lost weight.

I found i was doing quite well but when i added the BP coffee i gained like crazy. Plus i couldnt stomach the taste so i added coconut oil instead of MTC or butter. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2019-07-12 1:26 PM

Married to a Louie Lover

want2chase3 - 2019-07-12 9:12 AM

I did.  I lost weight.

Its definitely not for everyone. A friend of mine did it successfully for a year and then she went off it, went to go back on and her BP shot thru the roof and her whole menstrual cycle went berserk. Non stop... she did everything right as well. Some people just cant tolerate it. I'm glad I'm not one of them! But then again I'm not 100% keto either. I like to stick to clean, gluten and sugar free as much as possible. I think some people, not referring to anyone here, just in general from what I've heard, overdo it on unhealthy fats, like greasy double  bacon cheeseburgers and omit the bun, thinking they are doing themselves healthy.. or eating way too much cheese! I typically try to get all my carbs from vegetables and certain days I'll eat less starchy carbs like sweet potatoes, oatmeal or quinoa, even rice. But I've just gotten to the point where if I want a cheeseburger, I'll get one with the bun.. lol! Or pizza, I'll eat a few slices. It's rare. But I do it to keep my sanity! I see people on Facebook groups eating tons of processed lunch meats and cheeses thinking its healthy, in reality,  it's not really. 

Whole30 would be similar in the sense that most carbs are found in fruits and veggies instead of grains which are not allowed.

its a super clean way of eating by eliminating various food groups that have been know to cause negative reactions in the body (like dairy) and then reintroducing each particular grouping of foods one at a time and seeing what your reactions are.

My boss has been on an even more strict elimination style diet for an autoimmune issue.  She slipped last night not even thinking about it and had a few homemade potato chips (potatoes/nightshades are off limits) that her kids made - this morning she said she’s covered in hives and terribly itchy! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
bullhaulersbabe
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-07-15 10:38 AM

Expert

What are some of the snacks that you all have done? My husband is a truck driver so need something that does not need to be refrigerated. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-07-15 11:37 AM

Warrior Mom

bullhaulersbabe - 2019-07-15 10:38 AM

What are some of the snacks that you all have done? My husband is a truck driver so need something that does not need to be refrigerated. 

My hubby drives a truck also, it can be very challenging! He found a cooler that he can plug into the cab of the truck. When hes being good, he keeps lunch meat, cheese and some fruits in there... he doesnt do that all the time though, it's a convenience thing for him. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
bullhaulersbabe
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-07-15 2:18 PM

Expert

want2chase3 - 2019-07-15 11:37 AM

bullhaulersbabe - 2019-07-15 10:38 AM

My hubby drives a truck also, it can be very challenging! He found a cooler that he can plug into the cab of the truck. When hes being good, he keeps lunch meat, cheese and some fruits in there... he doesnt do that all the time though, it's a convenience thing for him. 

Yes he has a small cooler that he can put some cold stuff in just not much. We pack him a lunch but needing something else to send him.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software