Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Horse that loads in stock but not slant?

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-08-12 1:00 PM
12 replies, 583 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

camocowgirl
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-07-07 3:09 PM
Subject: Horse that loads in stock but not slant?

Unable to Live Without Chocolate or Coffee

I have a older horse I've had for about 6 months. I have hauled him only in our stock trailer becasue I was fixing up some things on the slant. I have tried and tried and he hates that slant load. Its a 3h so plenty of room. I KNOW he's been hauled in slant loads all over the place because he's a heel/barrel horse. He gets two front feet in and thats it. when he finally does get all the way in he backs out in panic mode. Then he won't get all the way in again at all! so odd! normally if they get all the way in once they will do it again. I've never had one get all the way in and then refuse to do it again. lol  I need to be able to haul him alone - I'm thinking he has never been hauled in a slant alone...

any ideas?

Edited by camocowgirl 2019-07-07 3:10 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
mgander
Reg. Dec 2016
Posted 2019-07-08 6:11 AM
Subject: RE: Horse that loads in stock but not slant?

Veteran

I don't have any ideas, but I'm right there with you. Fussy, moody geldings.

Only thing that sometimes helps is dropping the window he's loading in. That's hit or miss.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
barrelracer63046304
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2019-07-08 7:13 AM

Extreme Veteran

That's tough. I was always told to feed them on the trailer if they were scared of it. You could put his grain bucket on the trailer and gradually move it farther in as he gets more confident. Make him think it's meals on wheels! Luckily I haven't had a problem with loading, so I haven't tried it, but it makes sense to me! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2019-07-08 8:43 AM

Married to a Louie Lover

Put another horse in first?

Is there a rear tack?  Is it collapsible?  You’re asking him to get through a much smaller hole now.  Make sure also that you’re not standing in the doorway - I see a lot of people try and load a horse and they’re standing right where they want him to go.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-07-08 10:01 PM

Warrior Mom

Story of my life... I have 3 geldings... the 2 that get ridden hate my slant... the 3rd horse will get in last just so he doesn't have to stay home alone, that's literally his only motivation to get in the trailer. These guys would load themselves in our old stock trailer, I use to be so proud of them lol! Now it's a spectacle to get them in. We looked at a different trailer last weekend, it's a Lakota 4 horse, MUCH more room and it's got a HUGE door to load thru... I only wish it had a ramp, I'd have left with it that day. I'm still thinking about swapping our 3 horse in for it. They offered us a pretty good deal on the trade.. I'm just hesitant to have another payment! But it's a gorgeous trailer and plenty of room for my knuckleheads in the horse part and my kids in the LQ part. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
r_beau
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-07-09 11:27 AM

Born not Made

camocowgirl - 2019-07-07 3:09 PM

I have a older horse I've had for about 6 months. I have hauled him only in our stock trailer becasue I was fixing up some things on the slant. I have tried and tried and he hates that slant load. Its a 3h so plenty of room. I KNOW he's been hauled in slant loads all over the place because he's a heel/barrel horse. He gets two front feet in and thats it. when he finally does get all the way in he backs out in panic mode. Then he won't get all the way in again at all! so odd! normally if they get all the way in once they will do it again. I've never had one get all the way in and then refuse to do it again. lol  I need to be able to haul him alone - I'm thinking he has never been hauled in a slant alone...

any ideas?

Simple. Go back to square one and TRAIN him how to properly load. His age and experience is really irrelevant because you're having problems. Just like you'd take a barrel horse back to the basics when they were having a problem, do the same for your ground work.

I really like Clinton Anderson's method if you can get access to his trailer loading DVD. Now, of course CA tends to be pretty aggressive in general, but you can still take his concept, tone it down, and make it work for you and your horse.

It's all about approach and retreat and having complete control over your horse's feet at all times. So you ask the horse to put one foot on the trailer, and then take one foot off. Repeat that 1,000 times. (Do not allow him to put more than 1 foot in the trailer, again, because then you don't have control over the feet because he is not listening to you and rushing.) Then you ask the horse to put two feet onto the trailer and then two the two feet off. Repeat 1,000 times. Then 3 feet on and off 1,000 times. When you finally get to the point where you are loading all 4 feet, you have now taught your horse to listen to you, wait on you, and you have also automatically taught them how to unload, and taught them to self-load by "sending" them.

Take 10-15 minutes a day to practice this. Depending on the horse, it might take a few weeks or longer, but take your time, make solid slow progress, and you will eventually re-train him to load into anything.

You also don't need a trailer to practice this. Set a piece of plywood on the ground, or a blue tarp and use that as your "Trailer". Unload/Load the feet onto the object like you would the trailer.

You are simply teaching your horse good solid ground manners and to be attentive to your requests at all times.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
camocowgirl
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-07-09 11:43 AM

thanks for the tips... last night I grabbed his feed pan and put it inside just enough he has to get two fronts in to get some. He didn't even hesitate and stepped right up  with both fronts. So I let him eat a little. then moved it forward and he got all the way in lol. he was big eyed lol but he was in without a issue. so I just stood there while he ate all his grain then backed him out. He is such a pill! 

He gets right into the stock trailer (even alone) no problem so Its not so much a trailer issue its just this specific one it seems.... I'll keep working on it. hopefully he will get over it. I think he's been hauled so much that he might be burnt out. I am pretty sure that is why they retired him from roping, he was burnt out.

To answer the previous questions.... The rear tack is removable but it doens't seem to fold/collapse like alot of them do. It looks like its a solid door that has to be completely removed if I don't want a rear tack area. Thats what it seems like from what I can tell. Its a older featherlite. The drop down windows are down but there are prof choice windows screens installed and it looks like they screwed them on, so I don't think I can take them off unless I "uninstall" them.

yes I follow CA training methods. I used them to train my colt to load. My colt loaded perfectly the first attempt in this 3h trailer becasue I taught him to listen and trust me from the beginning starting with loading in the stock trailer. I bet I could load him in anything. An older horse is a little bit different, esp if there are some mental hurdles to get past. I'll keep it up though. thanks for your commets

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Frodo
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-07-09 12:00 PM

"Heck's Coming With Me"

Personally I think the slant loads are overrated.  Horses tend to lean more to keep their balance instead of using their legs.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
camocowgirl
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-07-09 12:12 PM

Frodo - 2019-07-09 10:00 AM

Personally I think the slant loads are overrated.  Horses tend to lean more to keep their balance instead of using their legs.

I think you have a good point. All the old trailers were straight loads or stock. when I was a kid rarely did we have a horse not load is either of those. when i haul a loose horse in a stock they are either standing straight forward or rear facing, I have never seen one naturally want to stand slanted like the slant loads are made.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Frodo
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-07-09 1:01 PM

"Heck's Coming With Me"

camocowgirl - 2019-07-09 12:12 PM

Frodo - 2019-07-09 10:00 AM

I think you have a good point. All the old trailers were straight loads or stock. when I was a kid rarely did we have a horse not load is either of those. when i haul a loose horse in a stock they are either standing straight forward or rear facing, I have never seen one naturally want to stand slanted like the slant loads are made.

We had a palomino whose hip was black all the time from laying on the petition in our slant.  The black rubbed off either the aluminum or the padding.  I think the purpose of slants was "not" to make your horse more comfortable but just to get more horses in less space.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-07-09 2:33 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

Frodo - 2019-07-09 12:00 PM

You see horses that are in a open trailer do the leaning thing all the time.. 

Edited to add since I was in a hurry when I wrote the first time,, I see the leaning in horses in a open trailer when taking a turn or curve, they need to beable to spread their legs so they can balance, I hate seeing dividers in some horse trailers that go all the way down to the floor, horses cant balance well at all in a trailer like that.. 

Edited by Southtxponygirl 2019-07-09 4:21 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Frodo
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-07-09 3:26 PM

"Heck's Coming With Me"

Southtxponygirl - 2019-07-09 2:33 PM

Frodo - 2019-07-09 12:00 PM

You see horses that are in a open trailer do the leaning thing all the time.. 

Ours never did when we had side by sides.  They leaned on the back or the front.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CanChaser1013
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2019-08-12 1:00 PM

This is a respect issue.  It just takes time, effort and patience. I bought a horse less than a year ago that was loading and unloading just fine and one day just wouldn't load.  It was a respect issue.  I had been doing some ground work on this horse before I ride him as he was still green so he was used to the sending exercises and lungeing with me.  We had to work on the sending exercises, then loading into the trailer.  A few times with the stick and string and he learned quickly I meant business!  Haven't had an issue since.

I also have a horse that had been taught to load and was allowed to turn around in a stock trailer and then hop out.  Wouldn't back out of the trailer.  This was a big hole in her training and dangerous as I once saw a friend get run over in her own trailer by allowing her horse to turn around.  First barrel race I went to it took me and several others 20 minutes to get her out of the trailer.  Since I have a 3 horse slant, she couldn't turn around and had to learn to back out.  Again, I spent a few weeks working on it every day until it was just no big deal.  She self loads and unloads fine now.  I also make my horses wait on me to ask them to back out of the trailer so they don't rush out backwards.  When learning, I ask them to take a couple steps back to unload, then wait give praise, then ask for steps foward again.

Ground work is very underestimated in my opinion.  A lot of problems under saddle can be eliminated by spending time doing ground work with your horse.  They learn to RESPECT you.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software