Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Who has struggled?

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-07-11 1:42 PM
13 replies, 773 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

star1218
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-07-08 5:31 PM
Subject: Who has struggled?

Elite Veteran

I need a little encouragement.  Who else has bought a finished, 1D horse  and had ups and downs before you got all the way together?  Its so frustrating and a little disheartening to know you are riding a finished horse but not making solid runs ?????? 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Mossiemac
Reg. Jul 2019
Posted 2019-07-08 11:36 PM
Subject: RE: Who has struggled?

boon

Most struggle. It takes probably 6 months to a year to get with a seasoned horse.  Your communicating with this horse at top speed. The cues maybe simular but not exactly the same.  Takes time for the horse to adjust and for you to adjust how your helping him through the pattern. Be patient... it will come.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
fulltiltfilly
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2019-07-09 6:59 AM

I hate cooking and cleaning

This holds true for any level horse. Not just 1D. I always said it takes a year to form a solid partnership with a horse whether you just trail ride or compete.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
lonely va barrelxr
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2019-07-09 8:26 AM

Reaching for the stars....

Why do so many post that if you buy a true-blue 1D horse for big money that it is normal to hop on and win??

I sent my new DFT mare to my trainer to ride for a while (year or better) partly because I felt I was not getting with her at all. She listens to all commands whereas Zan ignores my mistakes. 

My hope was that the trainer will get her more seasoned and confident on her pattern so that when I take her back she might not listen to any miscues as much. I am also working through some physical issues on me and that should help me not give her miscues. When your back and hip are locked in a permanent spasm you're not giving good signals because you are tensing against the pain!

Anywho - I've always felt it took a year (give or take a couple months) to get with a horse in general riding, let alone full speed pattern. And a finished horse is tough to practice on since you don't want to drill them too much. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Turnburnsis
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2019-07-09 9:33 AM

Elite Veteran

Oddball here bc I have seen this with my own eyes and wish I could have some of this mentality!  I dont believe it takes a year to get with a finished horse.  My friend sold a horse for alot of money!  Went to watch one of her first runs and she was riding so cautious and was not in the 1d.  My friend went back to the stalls and talked to her and told her you paid $$$$ this much for this horse ride it like it is finished and knows his job because he does!  You didn't pay that much money to not be in the 1d and to train on one and to season! All the hard work is done! Ride him like you are gonna win!  By golly her next run she won it or placed really high I cant remember but Ill never forget the difference in the rider!  Its all bout believing in what you and the horse can do no matter the level!  After that she hauled pro rodeos and never looked backed!  So if you tried him before you bought him and you could ride him then you should be able to ride him now, unless he is hurting somewhere.  Good luck!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
y_do_i_do_this
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2019-07-09 9:52 AM

I might be the odd man out too......the rider fitting the horse is a pretty big deal.  Won't matter how long you give it, if you aren't a match, it's not going to happen.  Does that make sense?  Give it a chance and if it doesn't work, move on.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
babbsywabbsy
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2019-07-09 11:23 AM

Extreme Veteran

y_do_i_do_this - 2019-07-09 9:52 AM

I might be the odd man out too......the rider fitting the horse is a pretty big deal.  Won't matter how long you give it, if you aren't a match, it's not going to happen.  Does that make sense?  Give it a chance and if it doesn't work, move on.

THIS!!! I bought a really nice free runner that I tried to get with for THREE YEARS before I finally gave into the fact that I am a push style jockey and can not do a free runner justice. Found her a good home with a patient rider that is currently doing well on her. Horse and rider have to click to be at the top. Period. You can be a fantastic rider on a fantastic horse and sometimes it just doesnt work out.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
OhMax
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2019-07-09 12:01 PM

Married to a Louie Lover

y_do_i_do_this - 2019-07-09 9:52 AM

This.  So much this.

There was probably some luck involved but I hand selected a jump rider for my gelding this weekend.  I know what kind of a ride he needs and idk, I like to think I have a decent eye for how people jockey.  I picked her because i felt she could give him the ride he needed (that frankly I can’t sometimes, less about skill more about weight and physics) She did a bang up job and made a 1D run.

Humble brag maybe - but I see a lot of folks who are not in tune with their riding style and ability buy horses who do not match well and get frustrated when the horse doesn’t run like it did with the old owner.  

Thats not to say we shouldn’t ever buy a horse outside our comfort zone a bit - I think everyone should strive to be a more versatile rider - but it will take some time, discipline, and a critical eye to make it happen.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
star1218
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-07-09 1:09 PM

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the thoughts on the topic. I have only been running him since May. Weve had some killer runs and then struggled other times.  I think the person who said you have to remember what you are riding and stop trying to "train".. that's probably what I need to do

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
treasurehunter
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2019-07-09 2:17 PM

Scooters Savior

You’ve got this!  Trust that muscle memory and those skills.  You are a winner.  Go be the best you can be!  Rootie toot tooting for you!!! Post an update!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2019-07-09 3:36 PM

You get what you give

Fit is very important to me.  I've either fit a horse, or not, and time didn't change it.  Granted, that's me riding at my best, and not trying to step up for the first time.  That poor horse tried his best in spite of me.  I think there's a difference between learning how to step up to a faster horse, and being at the same level of the horse and it just not being a match.   

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
star1218
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2019-07-09 6:01 PM

Elite Veteran

First of all, thank you TreasureHunter! I dont have alot of those kinds of comments in my life!

And this is me stepping up with this horse and I have improved a lot already with him.  :)  so maybe that makes a difference too. I just want it all to be immediate lol

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
treasurehunter
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2019-07-10 4:48 PM

Scooters Savior

You are more than perfectly capable of this.  Believe, have faith and little patience and it will fall in place.  We can do anything we want if we want it bad enough and are willing to work for it.  There will be those times that things go wrong, but those are only lessons, and I don’t see those as a negative.  Look at those positively... they only make you better and stronger.  Study those “lessons”.  You have as much talent as anyone else.  

And my favorite thing to tell myself when the going gets tough:

”This ain’t rocket science,” ??

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
mgander
Reg. Dec 2016
Posted 2019-07-11 1:42 PM

Veteran

It's really hard to get out of your own head.

Most have seen the questions I've asked about my gelding. Some health pitfalls and he's almost a completely different horse. He's still quirky.

I'm struggling to just jockey him and NOT prepare for the blow ups to happen. Just keep hauling. Focus on the one thing you want to do right that run.
My thing this year is super quiet hands now that I got better riding with my seat.

You got this!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software