Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Pricing a Horse

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-07-15 3:25 PM
9 replies, 643 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

~BINGO~
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2019-07-10 9:32 AM
Subject: Pricing a Horse

Serious Snap Trapper

I’ve never had an issue selling a horse before but for some reason can’t get this guy moved. I feel/felt as though he’s priced appropriately for what he is, but can’t even get someone to look at him. I know my location has somewhat to do with it, but again, it’s never been this hard...

Just curious as to what you would price a well bred gelding (I realize papers don’t matter but I still like having them). 12 years old. Super quiet, kid and grandma gentle. Safe. Mountain goat on the trails. No spook. Well broke. Patterned on barrels. Would make the perfect gymkhana horse for a youth. Won’t be competitive much beyond that but is as solid as the day is long and not bad to look at.

Just trying to see if I’m out of line on what I’m asking for him.

Edited by ~BINGO~ 2019-07-10 9:34 AM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
cowgalsissy
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2019-07-10 9:58 AM
Subject: RE: Pricing a Horse

Too Skinny

2500 -5000 max

Where are you advertising?

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Whiteboy
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2019-07-10 10:20 AM

Military family

That's White "Man" to You

I'd say $4-5K around here. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
RunNitroRun
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2019-07-10 10:22 AM

Elite Veteran

In my opinion if you can't get anyone to come and look (and you haven't had issues before) then the horse is not priced according to current local market value, or the videos/pictures do not do justice to the horse to interest parties at the price he is at.  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
babbsywabbsy
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2019-07-10 1:06 PM

Extreme Veteran

If he's 12, broke and only patterned on barrels with no credentials or anything, you're looking anywhere from 2-4k no matter how he's bred. 1) he's a gelding so it's not like you can ever breed him 2) most people are not looking for a 12 year old barrel prospect 3) "safe, sound, and sane" is great and all but again, he's 12 he will probably need maintenance sooner rather than later if he does get to running hard. 

Personally, I would take a look at him if I wasnt so far away. I love one that's started I can finish out my way, no matter the age (do prefer under 10 but him being 12 in my case wouldnt be a dealbreaker if we got along). I may be in the minority here, but I prefer one that was maybe put on the back burner for one reason or another and hasn't had their legs run off by the time they're 5 years old. I'm currently looking for something around 7 thats patterned but not finished. I've been looking around for about 6 months just can't find one that is my unicorn that will be my number 1 for the rest of their career. 

The right person will come along eventually. If he is something you just have to move, lower the price and I'd bet you get more interest. If you dont HAVE to sell him then it's a win win for you because it seems like he's a nice one to have around. Good luck! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
stayceem
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2019-07-10 1:13 PM

Not Afraid to Work

I agree with the others 3-4k depending on his confirmation and just how broke he is. The Gymkana stuff is a blast but it can be hard to teach a horse all of those classes. If he already knew them all, I would increase the price. Now a super fancy broke 12 year old, on barrels may pick up quick but thats all dependent. I dont know where he is advertised but I have seen so many awful sale pictures.... 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
~BINGO~
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2019-07-10 7:23 PM

Serious Snap Trapper

Thank you all for your replies. I have him listed at $5000 “obo” which does seem to be the going rate for kid broke, beginner safe horses in neighboring cities.

He is being advertised on Craigslist and multiple Facebook pages. I’ve had mountains of interest. Several people have set up dates/times to see him, and never show up.

I’m not hurting to sell him by any means. He’s a nice gelding and enjoyable to ride. My complete beginner husband and daughter can both ride him as well. They just aren’t that into horses, and I’d rather purchase something more my style. Maybe I’ll just drop his price a bit and see what happens.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
stayceem
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2019-07-10 8:12 PM

Not Afraid to Work

~BINGO~ - 2019-07-10 7:23 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I have him listed at $5000 “obo” which does seem to be the going rate for kid broke, beginner safe horses in neighboring cities.

He is being advertised on Craigslist and multiple Facebook pages. I’ve had mountains of interest. Several people have set up dates/times to see him, and never show up.

I’m not hurting to sell him by any means. He’s a nice gelding and enjoyable to ride. My complete beginner husband and daughter can both ride him as well. They just aren’t that into horses, and I’d rather purchase something more my style. Maybe I’ll just drop his price a bit and see what happens.

Not sure if you have the time but maybe take him to some playdays and increase the stats and teach him some of the patterns. Kids horses or beginner horses are worth their weight in gold but one thats not finished is hard because you're then expecting a beginner or kid to finish them. Most of those people will buy the cheap ones if they wanna throw their hand at training one. The buyers looking to spend a little more want one ready to roll. If that makes sense.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
dianeguinn
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-07-10 9:18 PM

Lady Di

I just don't think anything is selling.  I normally never have trouble selling anything either, but I bought a gelding this winter to resell for tax purposes, and I can't move him, either.  He's only 4, but is SOOO good minded and is a grandson of The Ole Man (has Three Bars on his papers, which is unheard of in one this young).  He is sound, no maintenance, no trouble and no bad habits.  Acts like a 10 yr old, no buck, no spook, no nothing.  Can make multiple runs and never get stupid.  Has the brains to be a multiple event horse or rodeo horse w/no doubt.  Has had 5 months of hauling and exhibitioning w/a professional trainer. Had him on here for 2 months and never got an email or call.  Have had him on facebook since March, and have lowered the price to where I'm losing money and still can't move him. And my pictures are excellent. Never seen the barrel horse market as bad as it is now.  Everyone thinks you can get 1D horse at a killer pen for $1000.  smh 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
y_do_i_do_this
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2019-07-15 3:25 PM

agree with above poster

IDK what it is, but I haven't had a bit of luck on here selling.  Facebook is where it's at and I hate to hang on FB all day texting usually to just tirekickers.  The horse market is not good.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software