Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Completely OT buuuuut...

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-09-16 9:42 PM
16 replies, 694 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-10 2:22 PM
Subject: Completely OT buuuuut...

Warrior Mom

I know you gals and guys on here give really fabulous advice and I need some! My youngest son started playing baseball, hes 8, he got 1 spring ball season under his belt and did a great job, so good in fact, he got picked up by another team to go play state with them. So we decided to go ahead and sign him up with a select baseball team for 8u... if any baseball parents on here, yall know these programs arent cheap but you're paying for a service basically,  for good above average coaching and playing in tournaments against like teams. Anyway, he got on with this particular team, we paid our fee and started. Well, come to find out hes the oldest kid on the team,  all the other boys are fresh out of t ball.. so in other words, a very green inexperienced team. No big deal tho, I start taking him to practice and it's like a parents happy hour... lots and lots of drinking... whatever... I dont drink, but there's a time and place for that. The boys practice, the parents drink. A few dads get mouthy, loud ... start yelling at their kids to do better.. 1 in particular called his kid stupid. I was disgusted and disappointed the coach did nothing. Moving on... we had a tournament last weekend, we lost our butts... so bad each game was called in the 3rd inning because it was so bad. The 2nd day of our tournament our head coach didnt even show up! Didnt tell anyone either so a parent stepped in and again we lost so bad ...we were like little bait dogs to these other teams. It sucked!  I had an issue with one of the dads that was helping out on the team because he told my son he was going to throw the ball at his head if he didnt pay attention... firstly my kid always pays attention out there, he plays 1st base... in fact hes one of the only few that actually do pay attention,  the rest are kicking the dirt or drawing in it! I complained to the head coach and he assured me that wasnt acceptable talk from a parent to a player and he said he would take care of it and not to worry. Well... I find out today the organization made that dad our 3rd base coach. I'm about to pull my kid from this team. They dont even have a designated field for our boys to play in... so it changes all the time to wherever they can find a spot, we didnt have uniforms either that we paid for in time. They didnt get the team signed up in the right tournaments in time, so we are forced to play in tournaments we have no business playing in with t ball kiddos coming into coach pitch. It's just been 1 nightmare after another with this organization. My son got invited to come try out for a really great organization for 10u ... he goes tomorrow in fact. It's the same organization my older son is involved with and we love it. Very organized,  professional, no funny business,  no alcohol at practice,  and parents arent allowed to yell at their kids!  I mentioned to a friend of mine who's son is also on that terrible team that I was thinking of pulling my boy.  Her hubby called and begged me not to take him off, he said the team needs him badly, the other boys look up to him cause hes the oldest,  and biggest lol! I'm just not sure what to do. If he gets the green light from this other team, I want him to go, he wants it too, he says hes bored on this team.. he rarely sees the ball being at first ..  I need to think of his best interest first and foremost, not the others. I've never in my life left a team at the beginning of a season but this one is so badly run and we shelled out quite a bit of $$$ to be a part of it. I wont get a refund and my hubby said it's fine he wants him out of there too, hes just waiting for me to give the word. Thank you for reading all this, it's just been eating at me because I'm not a quitter and I try to teach my kids not to give up when things get a little tough but theres got to be a line somewhere! Obviously want our boy with the best available and where he will advance in his game and learning. I feel we are at a dead end with this team. No coaching, just chaos ... kids playing on cell phones in the dug outs during games, taking back, fighting with each other... pushing, shoving , lots and lots of whining! I dont want my kid thinking any of that is acceptable! 

Edited by want2chase3 2019-09-10 2:39 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-09-10 2:40 PM
Subject: RE: Completely OT buuuuut...

A Somebody to Everybody

If my son was on a team like this with no support from coaches and other adults I would pull him out as soon as possible and put him on a team that has the want too, its not fair to the ones that want to play and do his best out on the field.  And I dont agree with the drinking {happy Hour } not the place at a childs game, all its going to do is cause hard and hurt feelings, nobody have better never ever threaten my child with a baseball to his head, I would have gotton in this mans face real quick. Get your son off this team and go with the other one. Drinking and loud mouth parents dont need to be at a childs game.. PERIOD.. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2019-09-10 2:42 PM

I just read the headlines

Take him off the 1 st team and put him in the one you know is a better fit for y’all. I know my son would have been miserable on that first team. It’s a really bad negative place for him and you.  You owe those people nothing. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2019-09-10 2:42 PM

Totall agree!!!

argh! I was agreeing with Roxie’s post. I thought I pushed the quote button,.

Edited by GLP 2019-09-10 5:06 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-10 2:52 PM

Warrior Mom

I know that's the right thing! I explained to my son that if for whatever reason he didnt make the 10u team, I probably wont be able to get him on anywhere else this late into fall but we can practice and get ready for spring ball and come out swinging! He said hes ok with it, hes 8, lifes simple lol! The boy loves the game. Plus he gets to play with Jacob, who's in 11u all the time.. they work together at home on stuff. A few of the parents went to the head of the whole organization and he put out a team wide memo saying if anyone wanted a refund hed send them 1, no offer to make things better or change things... I can assure you I'm not the only person who is unhappy with all the shenanigans going on. And yes, the drinking bothers me a lot, I didnt tattle about that because I honestly felt it wouldn't have mattered. The man that threatened to hit my kid with the ball owns a field that they are having to borrow to hold practices so I feel my voice fell on deaf ears . And now the jerk is a coach .. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
1DSoon
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-10 3:16 PM

He's 8, any 8u team around is just a hoo rah for the parents to say their kid plays "select ball"

Let him have fun playing the game, get him some one on one instruction if he's truly wanting to play and get better and let the other folks waste their time and money on 8u tourny teams

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-10 3:34 PM

Warrior Mom

1DSoon - 2019-09-10 3:16 PM

He's 8, any 8u team around is just a hoo rah for the parents to say their kid plays "select ball"

Let him have fun playing the game, get him some one on one instruction if he's truly wanting to play and get better and let the other folks waste their time and money on 8u tourny teams

Hes been getting private coaching on the side, the boy begged us to move him up an age group but we wanted him 1 more season with coach pitch to really make sure he was wanting to do this before turning to kid pitch. I should have let him move up when we had the chance,  believe me, I'm kicking myself for that now. Hes now being given the opportunity to jump 2 ages up and being coached "up" .. I watched this 10u team scrimmage Jacob's 11u team last week at practice and I couldn't tell much difference.. both teams are polished.  I know hes not quite at that level just yet, hes convinced he is, maybe he knows better than I do!  Lol! I'm not doubting his heart for the game, the kid hustles, hes always hollering at his teammates, cheering them on, every coach that's had him says hes extremely coachable and an athlete. I mostly want him to keep his love for the game and being competitive  . This current team can and will ruin a kid, no doubt about it. Thank you for the advice 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Delta Cowgirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2019-09-10 4:52 PM

The Vaccinator

Personally, I would not remain involved with this team and group of parents -- for me, sports should teach children how to work well within a team, self-discipline and leadership skills.  An extremely -- and I emphasize extremely -- small percentage of kids earn full-ride sports scholarships.... so I wanted our kids to learn life skills.  We would not waste our time in a dysfunctional group

Edited by Delta Cowgirl 2019-09-10 5:43 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2019-09-10 5:11 PM

Exactly why she needs to pull him from that team. How can being yelled at by drunk coaches that want to throw a ball at your head having fun? He will have much more fun with the 10 year olds on a team where the parents aren’t drinking and the coaches don’t threaten to throw balls at your head. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-10 5:38 PM

Warrior Mom

GLP - 2019-09-10 5:11 PM

Exactly why she needs to pull him from that team. How can being yelled at by drunk coaches that want to throw a ball at your head having fun? He will have much more fun with the 10 year olds on a team where the parents aren’t drinking and the coaches don’t threaten to throw balls at your head. 

Yes, absolutely.  Theres one thing in particular this kid is good at, better than I am, and most adults i know, he can let stuff roll off his back like no one I know! I asked him if he heard what that guy said to him, he said "yes, i heard him, but I wasn't worried, I was paying attention"... a kid at first had just been hit in the eye with a ball being thrown from 3rd. He had to be carted off the field and to the er. Hes got the thickest skin I swear lol! What makes him a good player... nothing phases him when hes out there, hes focused on the game. I could leave him on that team and hed go out to each game and give it 100%, no matter what.. I've never seen him cry for losing or get upset making an error.. he just keeps on rolling. I love that. His older brother could learn a thing or 2 from him in that department! But he did tell me he was getting bored. Hes going in for a private tryout tomorrow after school.. I'll definitely keep yall posted on how it goes. They may decide hes not quite ready for that level or they may throw us a bone... we are definitely throwing a hail mary on this one!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-09-10 9:13 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

GLP - 2019-09-10 2:42 PM

Totall agree!!!

argh! I was agreeing with Roxie’s post. I thought I pushed the quote button,.

LOL, I kinda thought you were but was not really sure

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2019-09-10 9:16 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

Anytime a adult threaten's a child they need the you know what beat out of them, and when its someones else's child thats even worst..

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-15 9:27 AM

Warrior Mom

His tryout last week got rained out. So it's set for today. This afternoon.  I ended up pulling him from that team last week after yet another big arguement between parents and coaches. I had enough of that extremely toxic environment. I got a few messages from coach who suddenly decided to care and a few parents trying to convince me to let him stay but I stuck to my decision and told them sorry but hes out. I really hope this other team works out for him, I've prayed a lot about it and I leave it in HIS hands, HE knows best. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-09-15 11:35 AM

My Heart Be Happy

Good for you!   Let us know how the tryout goes--sending good vibes to y'all!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2019-09-15 10:46 PM

Warrior Mom

My baby boy made the team! He was put thru the paces today and I was so proud of how he handled it! He was ready to advance, no doubt about it now. I need to learn to listen better when my kids speak, he tried to tell me at the end of league ball he was ready for kid pitch.  Definitely some eyebrows raised because hes the youngest on the team but the kid has heart and hustle and it doesnt go unnoticed, the fine skills can be improved on and I think the coaches realize that. Hes raw enough he hasn't picked up a bunch of terrible habits. I think he will be just fine and hes definitely going to learn a ton from these guys! Which is exactly what we were hoping for. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2019-09-16 7:43 AM

Wow! That is so good to hear. Thanks for the update and congratulations!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-09-16 9:42 PM

My Heart Be Happy

Yea!!!!!!   Congratulations to your boy, I know you're so very proud

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software