Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Front end lameness

Jump to page :
Last activity 2019-12-02 1:48 PM
3 replies, 212 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

runninsorrel18
Reg. Nov 2019
Posted 2019-12-01 3:57 PM
Subject: Front end lameness

boon

Hi all,
my horse has come up mild lame on her left fore leg. She was mildly off about two weeks ago for a couple days (November 19-20), could only mildly feel it under saddle was not visible. 4 days later she appeared to be 100% sound and we went to a show and she worked very well with no hint of lameness and rode her all the week after with no issue. Fast forward two weeks ago, about 4 days ago I felt something off again not lame but just a little hitch in one direction but was not 100% sure...she did not work very well that day. Yesterday I hopped on her again to see where we were at. and she was visibly lame in her left hand turns and a left circle. She appeared fairly sound in straight lines when hand jogged. Leg from just below knee to hoof (including hoof) is warm compared to the other leg. No swelling, no wounds or nothing wrong with the hoof as far as I can tell. Would I be correct in thinking abscess due to the heat in the hoof/lower leg? However she is only really lame in the turns and the lameness is very inconsistent? Wouldn't an abscess be a more consistent lameness? Any other suggestions? TIA

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2019-12-01 9:12 PM
Subject: RE: Front end lameness

My Heart Be Happy

Bump

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
r_beau
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2019-12-02 1:14 PM

Born not Made

runninsorrel18 - 2019-12-01 3:57 PM

Hi all,
my horse has come up mild lame on her left fore leg. She was mildly off about two weeks ago for a couple days (November 19-20), could only mildly feel it under saddle was not visible. 4 days later she appeared to be 100% sound and we went to a show and she worked very well with no hint of lameness and rode her all the week after with no issue. Fast forward two weeks ago, about 4 days ago I felt something off again not lame but just a little hitch in one direction but was not 100% sure...she did not work very well that day. Yesterday I hopped on her again to see where we were at. and she was visibly lame in her left hand turns and a left circle. She appeared fairly sound in straight lines when hand jogged. Leg from just below knee to hoof (including hoof) is warm compared to the other leg. No swelling, no wounds or nothing wrong with the hoof as far as I can tell. Would I be correct in thinking abscess due to the heat in the hoof/lower leg? However she is only really lame in the turns and the lameness is very inconsistent? Wouldn't an abscess be a more consistent lameness? Any other suggestions? TIA

It's possible is could be a low-grade abscess that keeps moving around. They sometimes can come and go; not always, but they can.

If this were my horse, I would be taking them in for a lameness evaluation to find out what is going on. (When my gelding started having off-and-on lameness he turned out to have heel pain in BOTH front feet .... just worse in one of them.)

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
babbsywabbsy
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2019-12-02 1:48 PM

Extreme Veteran

My first thought is abscess if there is no visible swelling on the leg. I'd try to soak it in epsom salt for a day or two and see if it helps draw it out. Like the above poster said I'd also check with your vet, but I know that can sometimes prove difficult around the holidays. Good luck! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software