Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

elevated GGT level on my horse

Jump to page :
Last activity 2020-01-17 8:49 PM
9 replies, 534 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

horsingaround
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2020-01-05 7:25 PM
Subject: elevated GGT level on my horse

Ima Cool Kid

Took my horse Palin, to local DVM because she seams "off"  he examined her and did not find any thing wrong so he did blood work. her AST (liver) level was off the chart @1040 and her GGT was 159.  he said cholangiohepatitis.  he gave me Baytril once a day, Metronidazole 2 times a day and wanted me to go to University. with in 15 min of the first IV shot of Baytril she acted like she was colicing. laying down and getting back up she was clearly not happy He did a succeed test and she was "hot positive" for anterior and hind gut ulcer. so he added omeprazole ans sucralfate. after the second day she was back to her normal "off " self. After 14 days the meds were gone repete labs AST 555 (normal) but her GGT is still high 155. Any one ever had a horse with a bile stone??  She is eating well and seams pain free.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CanCan
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2020-01-05 9:30 PM
Subject: RE: elevated GGT level on my horse

Military family

Keeper of the King Snake

No advice- just sending you a cyber ?? hug.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2020-01-06 12:46 AM

My Heart Be Happy

Hugs for your girl to get better and hoping someone else chimes in with some advice

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
slipperyslope
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2020-01-06 10:12 PM

PSSM???

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
horsingaround
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2020-01-13 10:30 AM

Ima Cool Kid

Repete labs have her GGT at 132 Our goal is under 90 when when we re check in 2 weeks.

Noticed to day her poop is looking like "normal" horse poop not the huge soft cow piles

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2020-01-13 6:16 PM

You get what you give

The AST is not specific for liver insult and can be from muscle damage as well.  When horses colic and roll around or lay down for longer than normal is enough to raise the AST.  In cases of rhambodmyolisis CK and AST both rise and the AST can be sky high, like way higher than the 1000s.  The GGT however I would count on the liver.  I wouldn't give a diagnosis of a stone based on just the chemistry but I would feel compelled to ultrasound the liver and do some follow up bloodwork like SAA, CBC, etc to see if there was some sort of infection/inflammation going on.  I would be curious to see what an internal medicine work up would look like for her.  Sounds to me more like she may have eaten something out in the pasture or in her hay that aggravated her liver before I would jump to a stone of some sort. Was your horse icteric? 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
horsingaround
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2020-01-14 10:56 AM

Ima Cool Kid

She never was jaundice (eyes) her gum color was paler than normal but there two it's a judgement call. her cbc was essentially normal except for wbc was low 4.60 lym 1.17 & mono .10

mpv  was 12.5 high don't know what that is

what do you think?  and Thank you for your ideas

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
appycowgirl
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2020-01-17 12:22 PM

Regular

I know that with many horses, once they have a PSSM attack, a lot of their other numbers can be quite skewed until their AST gets back into the normal range. In a PSSM attack,  CK will always elevate first and it will come down first. AST will elevate last and come down last, but along the way, with those muscle enzymes dumping into the liver, it skews everything. 

I would personally pull a mane sample and test for PSSM type 1 through www.animalgenetics.us The cost is $40.

Now, if this horse is 5 panel negative through testing or parentage, then I would test for PSSM type 2 through EquiSeq. http://equiseq.com/buy_pssm2.php

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your horse will more then likely be negative for PSSM type 1 because I'm assuming that your horse has barrel bloodlines. In my experience after seeing a lot of EquiSeq results on barrel horses, about 80% of our barrel horses are coming back positive for one or more of the PSSM type 2 variant genes.  These genes can create tying up, but a high majority of the time,  people will end up with unexplained lameness or behavioral issues.  Many times, once these horses get on a high protein diet that's balanced on the calcium to phosphorus ratio,  is low in NSC and has a good tri-amino acid profile, they'll come around. The genes that EquiSeq has located have also been found in humans that are diagnosed as having limb girdle muscular dystrophy.  Limb girdle muscular dystrophy affects the hips and shoulders in humans and this is where we see a high majority of problems in our horses as well. Many times, people can't figure out the lameness issues or the lameness will be there one day and 3 days later, its gone.

Many times, with a lot of these PSSM horses, people will think they are colicing, but the horse is popping and they'll go through what appears to be a colic attack, but immediately resume eating right afterwards and the horse will have gut sounds. 

I've also seen these PSSM type 2 horses, confirmed through a muscle biopsy or the EquiSeq testing, as being diagnosed as having EPM.  The horse will be treated for EPM but they don't seem to improve but yet once the person gets a PSSM type 2 diagnosis and they change the diet, the horse improves.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2020-01-17 3:30 PM

Star Padded Honey

appycowgirl - 2020-01-17 11:22 AM

I know that with many horses, once they have a PSSM attack, a lot of their other numbers can be quite skewed until their AST gets back into the normal range. In a PSSM attack,  CK will always elevate first and it will come down first. AST will elevate last and come down last, but along the way, with those muscle enzymes dumping into the liver, it skews everything. 

I would personally pull a mane sample and test for PSSM type 1 through www.animalgenetics.us The cost is $40.

Now, if this horse is 5 panel negative through testing or parentage, then I would test for PSSM type 2 through EquiSeq. http://equiseq.com/buy_pssm2.php

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your horse will more then likely be negative for PSSM type 1 because I'm assuming that your horse has barrel bloodlines. In my experience after seeing a lot of EquiSeq results on barrel horses, about 80% of our barrel horses are coming back positive for one or more of the PSSM type 2 variant genes.  These genes can create tying up, but a high majority of the time,  people will end up with unexplained lameness or behavioral issues.  Many times, once these horses get on a high protein diet that's balanced on the calcium to phosphorus ratio,  is low in NSC and has a good tri-amino acid profile, they'll come around. The genes that EquiSeq has located have also been found in humans that are diagnosed as having limb girdle muscular dystrophy.  Limb girdle muscular dystrophy affects the hips and shoulders in humans and this is where we see a high majority of problems in our horses as well. Many times, people can't figure out the lameness issues or the lameness will be there one day and 3 days later, its gone.

Many times, with a lot of these PSSM horses, people will think they are colicing, but the horse is popping and they'll go through what appears to be a colic attack, but immediately resume eating right afterwards and the horse will have gut sounds. 

I've also seen these PSSM type 2 horses, confirmed through a muscle biopsy or the EquiSeq testing, as being diagnosed as having EPM.  The horse will be treated for EPM but they don't seem to improve but yet once the person gets a PSSM type 2 diagnosis and they change the diet, the horse improves.

I second this - only way to know is to test, and that is part of diagnostic procedures.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
horsingaround
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2020-01-17 8:49 PM

Ima Cool Kid

I do run poles and barrels on this mare. She also competes in cow shows local. she is a grand daughter of Peppy san badger and her mom's side goes back to Bold Ruler. she is appendix bred she is 12 years old and this is the first problem she has had. Our DVM said she probably got an infection in her colon and it backed up through the bile duct to the liver. might be a bile stone? she has completed her 3rd week of Metrindazole we will do repete labs next friday

Edited by horsingaround 2020-01-17 8:52 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software