Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Rushing/Blowing 3rd

Jump to page :
Last activity 2020-08-04 8:44 AM
6 replies, 447 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

star1218
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2020-07-30 8:25 AM
Subject: Rushing/Blowing 3rd

Elite Veteran

I have a jam up finished barrel horse who I have only been running 6 months.  He is more of a free runner and he is extremely powerful.  He is honest, largely willing to wait on me while I get to know him and we have had some very nice runs together.   However, recently we have been falling apart.  He wants to Rush into third and blow by and out of it.  If we exhibition and I keep him in check he will peel the paint off every barrel. GORGEOUS.  But when it's game time (he knows it) and its very difficult to idle him down ---- and how does a barrel racer go in to a RUN not trying their hardest --- so it's hard for me to.  I can't pitch the reins and leave him alone, I can't hang on his face, If i check him hard and let him go he seems to dive harder at it and blow the backside worse.  I Dont know what he wants from me!   The previous owner isn't accessible to me. 

I've been to lots of clinics and they are inside -- and **** we SMOKE a set inside. We do well with walls. :)   Please help. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
r_beau
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2020-07-30 2:48 PM
Subject: RE: Rushing/Blowing 3rd

Born not Made

star1218 - 2020-07-30 8:25 AM

I have a jam up finished barrel horse who I have only been running 6 months.  He is more of a free runner and he is extremely powerful.  He is honest, largely willing to wait on me while I get to know him and we have had some very nice runs together.   However, recently we have been falling apart.  He wants to Rush into third and blow by and out of it.  If we exhibition and I keep him in check he will peel the paint off every barrel. GORGEOUS.  But when it's game time (he knows it) and its very difficult to idle him down ---- and how does a barrel racer go in to a RUN not trying their hardest --- so it's hard for me to.  I can't pitch the reins and leave him alone, I can't hang on his face, If i check him hard and let him go he seems to dive harder at it and blow the backside worse.  I Dont know what he wants from me!   The previous owner isn't accessible to me. 

I've been to lots of clinics and they are inside -- and **** we SMOKE a set inside. We do well with walls. :)   Please help. 

Can you post a video?

From your description, it sounds like he is dropping in to turn too soon, and is then having to blow by the barrel to avoid hitting it?

If your second barrel is fine, that wouldn't leave me to believe it is pain issue, since that turn is the same way. Would there be any reason for you to suspect pain?

Could he be a bleeder, and it's hitting him by the 3rd barrel? Just thoughts.

You said you can't (1) pitch the reins (2) hang on his face or (3) check him. What what about a happy medium of guiding him? I guess when I hear people say "check him", I think of a jerk on the reins. Perhaps that is not what you meant. Maybe he just needs a very light "touch" on the reins to wait on you.

And make darn sure you aren't accidentally cueing him to turn too soon (that is my personal bad habit).

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
star1218
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2020-07-30 3:39 PM

Elite Veteran

Thank you for the reply!  He doesnt really drop in to soon, it's more like he Speeds up or CHARGES at it when he should be rating. Flawless if we are indoors and there is a wall.  So it isnt that he can't do it. I will try to keep a more gentle guide principle in mind instead of all or nothing :)  A good thought.

A bleeder - ? idk. it is 2020.     does that sound indicative of one? charging at 3? he's otherwise shown me nothing that would indicate.  

Edited by star1218 2020-07-30 3:43 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
babbsywabbsy
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2020-07-31 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran

I feel like a video would really help.

Is there an outdoor pen, preferably with no fence at all you can ride in and make sure he's really rating and working for you?

Slow work the pattern, make him RATE at the third. I mean run to it and consciously SLOW WAY DOWN and turn it correctly a few times until hes snappy around the barrel, wall or not. If he's already turned the first, turned the second, now youre charging toward the third......... (no wall) then "charge charge... oh crap I need to turn now, oops, too late, then crap, dang now I just blew off the back and now its time to GO GO GO" Then run over, cool off, unsaddle, hes going to do it every time. Make him do it slow and correct, then speed up. If he tries to charge at it MAKE him slow down. Break that habit. Keep him between your hands. Pay attention to your body position too, I know I get excited going to the third after I have a nice first and second and they feel that, so I have to mentally be aware of that and control myself so we also have a nice third. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
clampitt
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2020-08-01 7:07 AM

Elite Veteran

Most of the time. Outside pens are bigger than buildings and more room to see out. The third barrel is down the pen a ways. They tend to build speed going to that barrel. Most always when the horse speeds up at the turn. The rider is pulling more. They will speed up push into the riders pull. You can work them slow all day and they work fine until you add speed. They loose rate setup for the turn. You have to stop the horse. At the rate position. Settle in the turns. Stop set still a bit and let the horse relax at the barrel turn.  Most everyone that comes here running off. Is pulled on to much to long. The horses head is up. They can not see the ground or the barrel. Their back hollows out and they have no control of their rear end. Set settle and walk the turns. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Rausch_Jessica
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2020-08-04 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran

I am going to have to agree with the bleeder idea. Rushing third only in a run is a major symptom because that is when they actually start bleeding, so they start panicking. Otherwise, I would really work on horsemanship and make sure he is rating down to your body cues. Good luck!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
star1218
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2020-08-04 8:44 AM

Elite Veteran

Thanks for all the tips and advice :) much appreciated!  My vet tends to agree on the bleeding possibility.  This is a 12 year old horse who is and has been finished a long time.  I work on rate with him pretty much as the underlining factor in all the drills we do because he is strong and hard running and it's good to know the whoa is there. Generally its all good good until we go to RUN. then I feel that chargey "panic" on 3(and I know that's a trigger word for bleeding) but that's a little what it feels like.  He gets in a major hurry and can't or won't finish his run.  Thanks again!! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software