Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Off Track Quarter Horses

Jump to page :
Last activity 2020-09-17 1:40 PM
38 replies, 1210 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

SKM
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2020-09-15 3:21 PM
Subject: RE: Off Track Quarter Horses

Saint Stacey

Speedhorse, May 2020 did an article on OK Black Panther. He ran out almost $55,000. He is now a rodeo specialty act that does all sorts of tricks. He's a really cool horse. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2020-09-15 3:46 PM

Take a Picture

I have one off the track. Two things to remember:  most are not sound and none of them are broke. Get them broke before you ever start on barrels. When I say broke I don't mean pick up leads and back up. I mean you have control of them from front to back at all speeds. I bought mine from a friend so didn't have him vet checked. He must have a high tolerance for pain because he has kissing spines, chips in his knee and at some point broke one of those big thick forward ribs. He has never made a fuss about going down the alley. Has always gone in and done his job. I have had him 17 years. He is 22. Retired him a few years ago because he deserved it. I forget he is off the track. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
NFM
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2020-09-15 3:53 PM

I like OT horses. They know how to run. I also put rate in a horse so it works well for me.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Whiteboy
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2020-09-15 4:32 PM

Military family

That's White "Man" to You

streakysox - 2020-09-15 3:46 PM

I have one off the track. Two things to remember:  most are not sound and none of them are broke. Get them broke before you ever start on barrels. When I say broke I don't mean pick up leads and back up. I mean you have control of them from front to back at all speeds. I bought mine from a friend so didn't have him vet checked. He must have a high tolerance for pain because he has kissing spines, chips in his knee and at some point broke one of those big thick forward ribs. He has never made a fuss about going down the alley. Has always gone in and done his job. I have had him 17 years. He is 22. Retired him a few years ago because he deserved it. I forget he is off the track. 

I think most dont take the time to actually get them broke.  That is a huge factor in what they turn into.  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Pinky
Reg. Nov 2019
Posted 2020-09-15 4:49 PM

Im still horrified about the comment on the good ones going to match races in Mexico and never being heard from again.  Despite that being true it gave me a sick feeling in my stomach.  It disgusting what people will do to animals for entertainment.  While Im not against horse racing the illegal match races are illegal for a reason. :(

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Whiteboy
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2020-09-15 5:35 PM

Military family

That's White "Man" to You

Pinky - 2020-09-15 4:49 PM

Im still horrified about the comment on the good ones going to match races in Mexico and never being heard from again.  Despite that being true it gave me a sick feeling in my stomach.  It disgusting what people will do to animals for entertainment.  While Im not against horse racing the illegal match races are illegal for a reason. :(

Match racing is illegal?  Do Americans treat horses better than Mexicans??  I'm really scratching my head over this comment.  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Pinky
Reg. Nov 2019
Posted 2020-09-15 5:40 PM

Americans don't treat horses any better than Mexicans or anyone else.  I mustve misinterpreted the comment about "never being heard from again" as being the underground type match racing that happens in America and in Mexico where there are no rules. my apologies. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
jbhoot
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2020-09-15 5:41 PM

Proud to be Deplorable

Pinky - 2020-09-15 4:49 PM

Match racing is not illegal only betting on them is in most states.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Tequila1275
Reg. Mar 2020
Posted 2020-09-15 6:23 PM

Regular

Just going to clarify something since I live in a city and state that is a hotspot for match racing.

Sadly, people with money and horses with an amazing track record take apart of these races. Drugs are a major problem. Both for horses and their humans. Marijuana distribution is big during these races aswell as illegal drugs that can kill a horse within hours. Safety precautions are rarely taken. Equine enfluenza outbreaks are high since rarely anyone properly vaccines their horses. Usually, if you look good enough, there is a pile of deceased horses, all dead from the same reason, drugging and unsoundness.

There is a reason why these tracks are hidden. They are illegal in many states, not only for the amount of money that is distributed, but the drugs, fights, etc.

In conclusion, I have always believed that the people in this particular industry are in it for the money and simply just want to win.

*I am not targeting any race (Mexican was used in earlier posts) nor am I saying to send death, hate threats to these people. This is simply and industry that I (and many others) don't consider to be apart of the horse racing world due to many stated reasons*

Edited by Tequila1275 2020-09-15 7:39 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2020-09-15 7:13 PM

I just read the headlines

Tequila1275 - 2020-09-15 6:23 PM

Just going to clarify something since I live in a city and state that is a hotspot for match racing.

You can't blame the people in this industry for what they were tought as a youth. Many of the people that take apart of the match racing do it since the "real" racing world is highly expensive. In Mexico and Mexicans who reside in America, it is simply done because it is tradition. On top of that, not everyone has horses the caliber that is needed in todays races.

Sadly, even people with money take apart of these races and misuse it. Drugs are a major problem. Both for horses and their humans. Marijuana distribution is big during these races aswell as illegal drugs that can kill a horse within hours. Safety precautions are rarely taken. Equine enfluenza outbreaks are high since rarely anyone properly vaccines their horses. Usually, if you look good enough, there is a pile of deceased horses, all dead from the same reason, drugging and unsoundness.

There is a reason why these tracks are hidden. They are illegal in many states, not only for the amount of money that is distributed, but the drugs, fights, etc.

In conclusion, I have always believed that the people in this particular industry are in it for the money and simply just want to win.

*I am not targeting any race (Mexican was used in earlier posts) nor am I saying to send death, hate threats to these people. This is simply and industry that I (and many others) don't consider to be apart of the horse racing world due to many stated reasons*

Yes, you can blame them. Our parents, teachers, mentors are not responsible for how WE treat our animals. You can change at anytime. No one is locked into it. As Denny Emerson says, and I am paraphrasing it, When you learn better, you do better. I am changing my horsemanship philosophy right now to a new paradigm not shared by a lot of people, but I have learned better and now I am trying to do better. I always treated my horses well, but now I have learned what current science has to offer and I am changing. I knew there haft to be a better way and I finally found it. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Tequila1275
Reg. Mar 2020
Posted 2020-09-15 7:33 PM

Regular

GLP - 2020-09-15 5:13 PM

You can't blame the people in this industry for what they were tought as a youth. Many of the people that take apart of the match racing do it since the "real" racing world is highly expensive. In Mexico and Mexicans who reside in America, it is simply done because it is tradition. On top of that, not everyone has horses the caliber that is needed in todays races.

Sadly, even people with money take apart of these races and misuse it. Drugs are a major problem. Both for horses and their humans. Marijuana distribution is big during these races aswell as illegal drugs that can kill a horse within hours. Safety precautions are rarely taken. Equine enfluenza outbreaks are high since rarely anyone properly vaccines their horses. Usually, if you look good enough, there is a pile of deceased horses, all dead from the same reason, drugging and unsoundness.

Yes, you can blame them. Our parents, teachers, mentors are not responsible for how WE treat our animals. You can change at anytime. No one is locked into it. As Denny Emerson says, and I am paraphrasing it, When you learn better, you do better. I am changing my horsemanship philosophy right now to a new paradigm not shared by a lot of people, but I have learned better and now I am trying to do better. I always treated my horses well, but now I have learned what current science has to offer and I am changing. I knew there haft to be a better way and I finally found it. 

I am sorry if I came out in a way that I sounded that I was blaming their mentors, parents, teachers, etc. I 100% agree with you on the fact that we can change for the better, especially when it comes to our animals and loved ones, even if we weren't taught to do so.

Though I have seen many people change, it really irritates me that many use this as an excuse. Just because it's tradition, doesn't make it okay.

I will try to word things out properly/better. :)

Edited by Tequila1275 2020-09-15 7:35 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Chandler's Mom
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2020-09-16 12:08 AM

My Heart Be Happy

GLP - 2020-09-15 7:13 PM

Bravo 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2020-09-16 1:37 AM

Take a Picture

For the record, most AQHA racing has been taken over by Mexicans. Nearly all of the horses running during the Quarter Horse season at Louisiana Downs are owned and trained by Mexicans. They have nice horses and take good care of them. I have a couple of broodmares for sale and would just as soon Mexicans buy them as anyone. There is a match racing track near me and I never hear anything bad about them. I am sure that these races that are not AQHA approved have drugging going on but a lot of the also run in AQHA races. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
TrackinBubba
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2020-09-16 7:52 AM

Poor Cracker Girl

Its impossible to generalize about "off track" horses because they are all individuals, just like every other horse on the planet. My OTTB mare is quirky on the ground and ratey on the pattern. Best first barrel ever. You can send her from the hard road and she'll find it. She was tough to get broke (and she's still not broke as nicely as I'd like. We work on it every ride.) but easy to pattern because she thrives on repetition. The QH gelding I have, picked him up at Delta Downs a month after his last race, I had to teach him that he had back legs and he was hard to find a bit for because his mouth was so sensitive. He's turning into a very nice barrel horse that I'll have to rate at the first (which is my favorite. I'm excited about him). And he was harder to pattern because he has the attention span of a fruit fly who gets bored easily. The friend who had to teach the mare to step over stuff? That is the ratiest horse I have ever seen. If you breathe out, she's turning. If you can get her by, she might win the barrel race.

Bottom line is a horse is a horse is a horse whether it was high dollar seller at Myers or it came off the race track. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are sound. Some are not. It all depends on what your threshold is and what works best for you. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ohkissmydash
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2020-09-16 1:55 PM

Regular

I have had 2 and both turned out to be amazing barrel horses. One was ROM/small stakes winner and the other was a track failure. Even though the one didn't make any money on the track, she would always break first and lead for a while and then peter out at the end. She was killer on small patterns. I do think both of them had great heart and work ethic, but they definitely liked to run and could get a little feisty. I think the best thing we did for them was ranch on them for a couple years. Both of them came to us off the track at 3 and then we rode them in the pasture, worked cows, and got their minds right for several years. Sure, they didn't start running in the 1D until they were 8 or 9, but by then they were solid, relatively sane, and we paid next to nothing for them. I think that's your best bet with one if you want to give it a try. 

Edited by ohkissmydash 2020-09-16 1:58 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
casualdust07
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2020-09-16 4:16 PM

You get what you give

I like OTT QHs.  If I didn't breed, I would totally go find some fillies off the track again.  It's all about knowing which bloodline works for you, which ones like to turn, and which ones are trainable.  Honestly, I feel if you are buying any prospect that has had a job before being a barrel horse- be it a cutter, track racing, I'd be equally worried about soundness.  Also, theres plenty of prospects out there that haven't had a job yet that have soundness issues.. so I would just consider that a risk everywhere.  It's honestly a gamble any time you buy anything without x rays. Another reason why I like to buy fillies.. to me the risk is lower if I buy one that ends up having issues.  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Pinky
Reg. Nov 2019
Posted 2020-09-16 11:34 PM

casualdust07 - 2020-09-16 4:16 PM

I like OTT QHs.  If I didn't breed, I would totally go find some fillies off the track again.  It's all about knowing which bloodline works for you, which ones like to turn, and which ones are trainable.  Honestly, I feel if you are buying any prospect that has had a job before being a barrel horse- be it a cutter, track racing, I'd be equally worried about soundness.  Also, theres plenty of prospects out there that haven't had a job yet that have soundness issues.. so I would just consider that a risk everywhere.  It's honestly a gamble any time you buy anything without x rays. Another reason why I like to buy fillies.. to me the risk is lower if I buy one that ends up having issues.  

Its interesting to hear each of these different perspectives and have things cleared up from people who have experience.  I agree that the horses are a high risk endeavor but clearly its worth the risk or we wouldnt all be doing it.  I may start asking around with some of my connections and see if they know of anyone in the racing business to get legit info on one that might be available.  Im not the lucky person that can show up to an auction and walk away with a gem :) If all the options sound sketchy then Im out and I will turn over a different stone. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
mouse
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2020-09-17 12:21 PM

Expert

I've had several ~ I'm also guilty of putting too much rate in a horse, so they work well for me.  I've not had any trouble getting one to ride well, but the trailering, tying and on the ground have been a slow go.  Not much for manners, if any.   Do seem to handle different arenas better from the exposure they've already had

What I'm starting to learn, at least my experience has been ~ I would buy one that was successful on the track.  My best horses have been race winners/placers.   The ones that were "also rans" were more difficult to get going and took way longer. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
linds
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2020-09-17 1:40 PM

Expert

I have had 1 and would do another in a heart beat!  He is 13 and still running strong!  I like OT because they have a work ethic, they know how to run, and you don't have to spend a lot of money.  My only con would be they usually aren't paid into incentives if you are into the futurity game.  Although, there is 1 producer in MN that partnered with the MN QH Racing Association and pays out $500 added sidepots for retired race horses!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software