Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Quiet riders vs others ....

Jump to page :
Last activity 2020-11-23 7:38 AM
7 replies, 479 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

slipperyslope
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2020-11-20 3:38 PM
Subject: Quiet riders vs others ....

Can anyone tell me why the "yanky hands" - someone pumping their hands & arms up & down their horse's neck when running - is done by so many anymore?  I can't see how that helps a horse go faster/run better.  I feel someone with quiet hands - whether they go up the neck or keep them closer to their body as long as not pulling back - is much less confusing & distracting to the horse, & the "pull/release/pull/release/pull" of the other would be a mess. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2020-11-20 6:21 PM
Subject: RE: Quiet riders vs others ....

Take a Picture

I think it goes through phases but look at the people who are winning, they have quiet hands. Cassie Mowery has about the quietest hands of anyone I have seen but her horses are so broke, they don't need a lot of pulling or anything else. Look her up on YouTube. I have a "new" horse (I raised her). You have to just put your hand on her neck and hang on. It's really nice but is going to take some getting used to. I'm not a jerker but I am used to doing the driving. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
okhorselover
Reg. Feb 2016
Posted 2020-11-20 7:33 PM

Elite Veteran

Alot is how one is taught. Being a hunter / jumper person as a kid I was taught quiet hands & thats how I ride a barrel horse. Sherry Cervi has the best hands ever. She was taught that by her parents. I know a girl who has those wild hands. If she leaves a barrel standing, it's a miracal 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2020-11-22 10:29 AM

Elite Veteran

Most riders including the professionals will and tell you how to ride the proper way. 

Then go and make a run and every thing gets thrown out the window. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
slipperyslope
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2020-11-22 12:41 PM

It drives me nuts (I know, not far to go there! LOL) to see that in a run.  I would post a video of a good example but I don't want to target anyone - so I hope my description was good enough to get the picture.  One in particular has her hands going 90 mph & her butt is all over on top of that horse!  I've seen her run in person & her vids she's like that in all of them.  Sometimes the poor horses she rides make a decent run, in spite of her.  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
willrodeo4food
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2020-11-22 3:34 PM

pressure dripper

BS Hauler - 2020-11-22 8:29 AM

Most riders including the professionals will and tell you how to ride the proper way. 

Then go and make a run and every thing gets thrown out the window. 

Truth.  I wish I was a perfect rider but I drop my hand to the inside about half of my runs and my current mare will leave me behind regularly.  Sure glad my horses take care of me and make me look decent in spite of myself.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
kasaj2000
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2020-11-23 5:30 AM

Horsey Gene Carrier

It is a skill and like anything else it has to be learned...some are quicker at it than others.

I have fairly quiet hands but still concentrate on it and my legs....I tend to nag with my weak leg.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Dirt Dobber
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2020-11-23 7:38 AM

Extreme Veteran

If they are out running everyone else then obviously there is a method to their madness.

I have seen some of the best jockeys and trainers ride both ways according to what gets the job done.

Myself I was taught the political correct way but these days it all falls apart when I am riding and not much is happening at the pay window.  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software