Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Tips for keeping horses cool during heat/humidity

Jump to page :
Last activity 2021-06-15 11:30 AM
8 replies, 857 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

hbrandranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2021-06-14 5:42 AM
Subject: Tips for keeping horses cool during heat/humidity

Expert

Hello folks!

I'm in north central Texas and we are experiencing extreme heat plus humidity right now.  I was wanting to get some tips on what everyone does to keep their horses comfortable especially when hauling, stalling and running at a weekend event (2 days).  Things like keeping them drinking, cool in their stalls, any wraps or other tack used to keep them comfortable.  This kind of weather makes me nervous and I'm trying to do all I can to keep them from getting over-heated, colicing, etc.

Thanks for any info! :)

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Ricki
Reg. May 2021
Posted 2021-06-14 7:29 AM
Subject: RE: Tips for keeping horses cool during heat/humidity

Regular

I am feeding Crypto Aero Restore Mash and Mix.  It helps me get water in my non drinker and I have noticed her recovery time from a work out is faster. Years ago when I hauled I had a portable swamp cooler.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
cranky B4 10am
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2021-06-14 7:54 AM

Military family

Witty Enough

We are in Central Texas so I feel your pain.

Mine are outside 23 hours of the day (except at feeding time) and have the option to get under the overhang on their barn. When it gets hot I add a scoop of electrolytes to their breakfast.

Also, I add water to their alfalfa cubes so I know they get some more water in their system.

When we haul to multiple day races, we try to haul during the cooler morning hours or in the evening. Our LQ trailer has extra insulation in the roof and stocks on the butt side. So they are always open. I open all the drop downs on the front and the roof vents. 

When we get to the race venue I hang a big fan so they at least have air movement. And I take them out for walks throughout the day. Might add a magnet sheet, but won't use my BOT sheet or boots when it gets over 80 degrees. Also I double the electrolytes when we are away. I am very lucky to have horses that are not picky out their water so they drink well on the road or at races.

When I go to a local race I use our stock trailer which has pretty good airflow so they are alright. Again, if possible travel when it is cooler. 

And my main boy is pretty melow, so I have a pop-up canopy that I put up next to the trailer, and he hangs out underneath it.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
winwillows
Reg. Jul 2013
Posted 2021-06-14 2:18 PM

Expert

Back when the Olympics were in Atlanta there was great concern about the eventing horses in the heat and humidity. There was an alternate cross country course set up if the heat index got too high, and misters were available in a lot of places. We did a lot of work with those horses to keep them out of trouble. Several thing were done that applies anywhere that the combination of heat and humididty put horses at serious risk. Electrolytes are important. Available clean water is vital, but can present a problem to horses under stress if they are poor drinkers on the road. I use Redmond salt rather than conventional salt because I think horses consume it bettter when under stress. This encourages them to drink more. If you feed a lot of grain based feed, you might want to reconsider your feed program. More than several pounds of grain at a time will end up fermenting in the hind gut. This produces a lot of enternal body heat that is an issue when the horse is already under heat stress. If you simply are committed to feed grain, break it up into smaller feedings that allow it to be digested higher in the system without overloading it. Fans are great if you can use them. Misters are not expensive to set up and can really help also. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
hbrandranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2021-06-14 2:51 PM

Expert

Great info! I too love Redmond salt as well as a good electrolyte.  Smaller portions of feed is a good suggestion. Would love to have some misters on hand to use in the stall if need be.  Being in the middle of an isle for stalling worries me bc there's not a lot of air flow although I'm bringing 2 fans.  Can you get the misters at Walmart?  Also bought a couple of 3x4 stall mats which are easier to carry if the stalls are on concrete.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2021-06-14 3:15 PM

Warrior Mom

It's pure misery right now. Fans help a little ... I am adding electrolytes to their soaked timothy pellets and cut "grain" way down,  replaced with the soaked timothy pellets and we go out every hour or so and refill buckets with cold fresh water.  On a side note I'm having trouble with my chickens dying in this heat! They have fans and access to a lot of shade.. we keep waters fresh and clean.. some just can't handle it I guess! My little goslings get to go for a swim twice a day in a big tub .. that helps cool them down a little. I resorted to spraying their coops down with water throughout the day to help.. Texas ya killing me!!! our power went out this morning too.. thankfully it was only a few hours. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2021-06-14 3:34 PM

A Somebody to Everybody

want2chase3 - 2021-06-14 3:15 PM

It's pure misery right now. Fans help a little ... I am adding electrolytes to their soaked timothy pellets and cut "grain" way down,  replaced with the soaked timothy pellets and we go out every hour or so and refill buckets with cold fresh water.  On a side note I'm having trouble with my chickens dying in this heat! They have fans and access to a lot of shade.. we keep waters fresh and clean.. some just can't handle it I guess! My little goslings get to go for a swim twice a day in a big tub .. that helps cool them down a little. I resorted to spraying their coops down with water throughout the day to help.. Texas ya killing me!!! our power went out this morning too.. thankfully it was only a few hours. 

Oh No!!!! About your chickens. My pens are wide open and under trees so they always have a breeze. And the power going out, thats just crazy, and a bit worrisome. 

Edited by Southtxponygirl 2021-06-14 3:36 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2021-06-14 3:57 PM

Warrior Mom

I opened up the gate in between 2 pens of chickens so they could get to the shade trees during the day ... I've got 2 big roosters, Zeus and Bruce ... its even too hot for them to fight... they just hang out under the trees. My hatching eggs may be a bit interesting this year but oh well! 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
cindyt
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2021-06-15 11:30 AM

Ms Bling Bling Sleeze Kitty

want2chase3 - 2021-06-14 3:15 PM

I have dirt alley and stalls, and I like to water them down as well... it sure helps cool it off... 

Sorry about your chickens!!!  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software