Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Time savers

Jump to page :
Last activity 2021-08-06 4:25 PM
7 replies, 778 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

scwebster
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2021-08-01 8:23 PM
Subject: Time savers

Expert

What are some things you've done that improved your times on the pattern and helped you get the most out of your horse?

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
CanCan
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2021-08-01 10:43 PM
Subject: RE: Time savers

Military family

Keeper of the King Snake

Working smallish perfect circles during the week.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
scwebster
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2021-08-01 11:05 PM

Expert

This week I'm planning on working on straight lines in between and sharp, good turns. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2021-08-03 12:00 AM

Take a Picture

I have trained my own horses for years. The thing that I have found that works best for me is sending my horse to a trainer. It is very satisfying to me to be able to get on a well trained horse. Right now I have one that you just your hand down in her neck and stay out of her way. I had taken a little adjustment coming from horse that you rode every step of the way. Makes it fun. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
LIVE2RUN
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2021-08-03 2:32 PM

The best bad guy on the internet

I get my best run if I don't pick up my reins on the backside of the barrel and just let her work and finish her turn. I mess her up when I do this..ugh, such a bad habit. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
run n rate
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2021-08-06 3:17 PM

Balance Beam and more...

A) Using my feet more and my hands less in preparing and in the turn itself and B) and probably the most important and ...having them fit to run. Running fast and hard hurts and it sucks, and loping and long trotting for 30-40 minutes is not the same.  If you doubt that go hop on a treadmill, crank that baby to 9.5 mph, run for 30 seconds, step off to the sides for 15 secondsand  repeat 4 or 5 times (added bonus for some yahoo kicking and spanking. )  You 'll probably puke and it's almost guarenteed you'll be hot at the gate tomorrow, LOL!!!  Do I  mean simply run the pattern more often??? Nope.  But I do mean if you expect them to be willing and able to stop the clock faster, you have to work on thier air, only way to do that is to breaze them out occaisionally.  

Edited by run n rate 2021-08-06 4:08 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
want2chase3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2021-08-06 3:25 PM

Warrior Mom

run n rate - 2021-08-06 3:17 PM

A) Using my feet more and my hands less in preparing and in the turn itself and B) and probably the most important and ...having them fit to run. Running fast and hard hurts and it sucks, and loping and long trotting for 30-40 minutes is not the same.  If you doubt that go hop on a treadmill, crank that baby to 9.5 mph, run for 30 seconds, step off to the sides for 15 secondsand  repeat 4 or 5 times (adcded bons for some yahoo kicking and spanking. )  You 'll probably puke and it's almost guarenteed you'll be hot at the gate tomorrow, LOL!!!  Do I  mean simply run the pattern more often??? Nope.  But I do mean if you expect them to be willing and able to stop the clock faster, you have to work on thier air, only way to do that is to breaze them out occaisionally.  

Great analogy! And I agree 100% with you and need to start implementing this into my own conditioning program. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
JLazyT_perf_horses
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2021-08-06 4:25 PM

Expert

I found on my gelding I retired that I got in his way a lot and didn't use my body where/when/how I needed. So I would just go home and walk the pattern on him, letting him jsut be relaxed and chill. And while walking I acted with my body like I was running. Worked on where to grab the horn and where to let go, where to sit, which points I need to start pulling him to ask to turn. But did it lightly knowing he would be more responsive at a walk, but I was jsut quiet and softer. That helped me a ton to stay out of his way and got the muscle memory for me, without wasting entry fees and frying him on the pattern. And he enjoyed doing the pattern for once with no pressure on him at all. Joy Wargo small circles and 4 barrel drill is nice to improve their physical capabilities to trun and makes them stonger. There's another video I like that Cheryl Fisher posed a couple years back on facebook that I've got saved on my phone. It involves poles, if you can find it look it up. 

Fitness is key for them too, as stated above. Sprinting/breezing helps a ton! If you have a large arena, even just letting them run up the long side a couple times a week helps. Or if you have access to a field without crops in it. Doing exercises to streghten their hind end helps them push around a turn and push off the turn to the next barrel. Gets them to hustle their feet. Also maintenancing them outside the arena is key. Whether its chiro, magnawave, liniments, injections, etc. And doing it at home, and not just at the race. Those who throw a PHT or BOT on their horse for the weekend at a show and never at home drive me nuts. Keep things consistent at home and a show, as far as products to help them feel their best. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software