Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Living quarter trailers

Jump to page :
Last activity 2022-05-10 4:31 PM
8 replies, 390 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

barrelracincrazy
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2022-05-10 10:02 AM
Subject: Living quarter trailers

Extreme Veteran

I am looking a getting my first LQ trailer this fall. Any tips? 

This will be my first gooseneck too.  I know I am goinig to find a smaller one. LOL 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
rodeoready23
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2022-05-10 11:50 AM
Subject: RE: Living quarter trailers

First off, congrats! This isnt necessarily LQ related, but I always get one more horse spot than i need. Its helpful for extra storage/hauling a friend of course but i really like to use my stud stall as a mud room. It keeps the LQ space so much cleaner to take my boots off in the stud stall and going in through the bathroom. I think what i would do differently is being honest with myself about my absolute minimums for space and storage. I was trying to keep my trailer as compact as possible, but I am SO over not having a slide out and mangers. My boyfriend is about to weld me a hay rack, which will help a ton. Perks of dating an iron worker, lol. I also wish i would have gotten an onboard generator. My generator weighs as much as I do so that can be a real pain. Just some things to consider! 

And for what its worth, id rather pull a gooseneck than a bumper pull any day!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
runnin.on.dreams
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2022-05-10 12:46 PM

Elite Veteran

Get one with mangers!!! Write yourself a "must have list" and put mangers as the very first item on there lol. I just bought my first LQ trailer in December. It's a 10' short wall 3 horse with mangers and a hay rack. I am SO glad I got mangers because my back tack area is small and the mangers gives me so much storage space for hay, shavings, buckets, etc. It makes over night trips so easy to organize and pack for. Also, mine has a couch instead of a table area and I'm glad I went with that option. It's so nice to be able to lay back and relax while waiting at races rather than having to sit up at a table. Mine also has a fairly big bathroom. It has a separate toilet and shower with a small counter and sink. The shower is a full shower with glass door so we are not crammed in the bathroom. It is a used trailer but I got a great deal on it and with it being a 2003 it still has plenty of life in it without killing us on budget. It's perfect for what my family of 4 needs without being too much. Oh, and the previous owner also put a plastic barrel on top in the hay rack with a hose running down so you can store water for the horses in the barrel in case you are ever somewhere that doesn't have water close by for them to drink. I absolutely love it and looks super cheap to make. I wish I had an on board generator too, but with my price range I was looking in that just wasn't an option for now. I do wish I had bought a different generator for it though I paid around $1,000 and it only runs for about 6-7 hours so night time sucks making sure it stays filled but it's rare that I have to use it over night. Congrats and best wishes on finding exactly what you want. Take your time and be picky! It's definitely an investment worth waiting for.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
barrelracincrazy
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2022-05-10 2:34 PM

Extreme Veteran

rodeoready23 - 2022-05-10 11:50 AM

First off, congrats! This isnt necessarily LQ related, but I always get one more horse spot than i need. Its helpful for extra storage/hauling a friend of course but i really like to use my stud stall as a mud room. It keeps the LQ space so much cleaner to take my boots off in the stud stall and going in through the bathroom. I think what i would do differently is being honest with myself about my absolute minimums for space and storage. I was trying to keep my trailer as compact as possible, but I am SO over not having a slide out and mangers. My boyfriend is about to weld me a hay rack, which will help a ton. Perks of dating an iron worker, lol. I also wish i would have gotten an onboard generator. My generator weighs as much as I do so that can be a real pain. Just some things to consider! 

And for what its worth, id rather pull a gooseneck than a bumper pull any day!

Thank you!  I have a two horse bp right now, I really wish I had a three horse.  So I will be sure at least get a 3 horse.

I am exticed to finally get a gooseneck.  Of all the years I have barrel raced, I have never owned one....

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
barrelracincrazy
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2022-05-10 2:36 PM

Extreme Veteran

runnin.on.dreams - 2022-05-10 12:46 PM

Get one with mangers!!! Write yourself a "must have list" and put mangers as the very first item on there lol. I just bought my first LQ trailer in December. It's a 10' short wall 3 horse with mangers and a hay rack. I am SO glad I got mangers because my back tack area is small and the mangers gives me so much storage space for hay, shavings, buckets, etc. It makes over night trips so easy to organize and pack for. Also, mine has a couch instead of a table area and I'm glad I went with that option. It's so nice to be able to lay back and relax while waiting at races rather than having to sit up at a table. Mine also has a fairly big bathroom. It has a separate toilet and shower with a small counter and sink. The shower is a full shower with glass door so we are not crammed in the bathroom. It is a used trailer but I got a great deal on it and with it being a 2003 it still has plenty of life in it without killing us on budget. It's perfect for what my family of 4 needs without being too much. Oh, and the previous owner also put a plastic barrel on top in the hay rack with a hose running down so you can store water for the horses in the barrel in case you are ever somewhere that doesn't have water close by for them to drink. I absolutely love it and looks super cheap to make. I wish I had an on board generator too, but with my price range I was looking in that just wasn't an option for now. I do wish I had bought a different generator for it though I paid around $1,000 and it only runs for about 6-7 hours so night time sucks making sure it stays filled but it's rare that I have to use it over night. Congrats and best wishes on finding exactly what you want. Take your time and be picky! It's definitely an investment worth waiting for.

Thanks for the info!  I am so new to this. 

I will put that on the top of my list! I did not even think about doing a list.  

That would help.  I do not want to have to turn around and sell it just becuasue it is not right for me. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
runnin.on.dreams
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2022-05-10 2:52 PM

Elite Veteran

barrelracincrazy - 2022-05-11 11:36 AM

runnin.on.dreams - 2022-05-10 12:46 PM

Thanks for the info!  I am so new to this. 

I will put that on the top of my list! I did not even think about doing a list.  

That would help.  I do not want to have to turn around and sell it just becuasue it is not right for me. 

I know exactly how you feel. When I bought this LQ trailer in December last year it was my first LQ trailer ever, and also my first trailer to ever buy period. Before that I was using my 3 horse bumper pull that my parents bought 17 years ago when I was a teenager and that was the only trailer I had ever owned. I actually didn't even shop around for this one though. I have always wanted a LQ but wasn't "looking" because I didn't think we could afford one any time soon. I saw a friend post that she had it for sale and the price was really great so I found a way to make it happen. It just so happens to have everything I would have had on my list if I was shopping for one. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did was a door to walk through from the bathroom to the horse area, but that is not a deal breaker for me at all. It will be on my list of wants when I do shop for an upgrade one day because it would make things easier with having kids and going in and out, but for now I am perfectly happy with it.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Nobody
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2022-05-10 3:41 PM

Extreme Veteran

I am going to be the opposite of someone above. I would prefer to never get a a trailer with mangers. I really dislike them - horses can't get heads down and I constantly hit my head when traveling with friends who have mangers. My current trailer is a reverse load with no mangers and my horses are so much more comfortable. I just hang hay bags. My trailer has a back tack for saddles and a mid-tack that can store a ton of stuff and is much more accessible than under the manger storage. The only thing I would like on my next trailer is a hay pod which would allow for the storage of all those things that you only need on occasion and for hay and grain on long trips. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Fun2Run
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2022-05-10 3:49 PM

A Barrel Of Monkeys

I had a 4 horse with stud wall, with a weekender, for years and years.  It had a toilet/shower combo.  Definitely get a toilet. 

I used that trailer ALL.THE.TIME.  Now I have a 3 horse with a 10' short wall and I prefer to use my BP 2 horse for short trips.  So, know your needs and your limits. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
JLazyT_perf_horses
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2022-05-10 4:31 PM

Expert

I always tell people get 1 more horse slot than you plan to haul, for storage. And sit down and think about how much time you'll spend inside the LQ. I always wanted a 10-12' short wall for years and I settled for an 8' instead because I realized I'm only in mine to sleep 95% of the time. I hang out outside or in the barns/by the arena/etc. It's more than enough room for me and has the couch in case someone comes with me. So it's worked out well, and still a size thats easy to just run down the road to the vet with or whatever. For some reason when I got a new a/c put in I suddenly needed a 6500w generator, anything smaller and you can't run the a/c and lights at the same time. So it sucks lugging a generator that size, I've made a ramp to get it in/out of the escape door since it weighs over 100lbs I think. I always thought I wanted a ramp on the back too, which would be nice for the generator, but now I'm glad I didn't bc as much as I access the back tack in daily life it would suck having to open the ramp every time too. Its backed up to a ravine and under thick trees at home, so leaving one down all the time wouldn't be ideal and would get green and slippery fairly quick. If you're going to be using it a lot I'd say invest in a better mattress or a mattress pad, unless it has a decent mattress in it. Make sure that its the right size for your truck for stopping power. I have a 2500HD gas chevy and my 3h 8' sw kiefer is borderline for it depending on how fully loaded I am. If I have water tanks full and 3 horses I'm SOL if I get into a bind where I need to brake for emergency. So thats another important factor. I don't have mangers in mine and I get by just fine but I just haul 1-2 horses at most. I use the front stud stall for hay, feed, buckets, shavings, etc

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software