Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Let’s talk bloodlines

Jump to page :
Last activity 2022-05-18 10:54 AM
6 replies, 388 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

sappleby
Reg. May 2022
Posted 2022-05-12 1:59 PM
Subject: Let’s talk bloodlines

boon

Let's talk about barrel bloodlines. All the ins and outs, you know! What crosses seem to be the magic crosses? What crosses don't you recommend and why? 

im doing my research. I want to know all you know. 

What appendix crosses seem to be the best?

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2022-05-13 9:40 PM
Subject: RE: Let’s talk bloodlines

Take a Picture

Easy Jet and Dash For Cash were the two most prolific racing/ barrel horse sires. As they have produced today's generations their prepotency continues to be as strong as ever. Easy Jet has come down through Streakin Six, Streakin La Jolla, and Mr Jess Perry and those horses still produce speed. Dash For Cash has come down through First Down Dash ( who has produced more money earners than any other race sire) and Dash Ta Fame and several sons. You can't go wrong with either of those bloodlines and anything Dash For Cash crossed on any Easy Jet is going to be outstanding. I had a lady tell me she wasn't impressed at all with Dash For Cash--probably not if you just go to the local riding club!!   I study bloodlines that are winning line the top 15 that go to the NFR,  If you want to study barrel racing bloodlines get a subscription to BARREL HORSE NEWS. It has the bloodlines of the horses that are winning these big races. I like Lisa Lockhart's beat mare Rosas Cantina CC so I have bred my mares to a big winning son of Corona Cartel. Barrel racers can't afford to breed to Corona Cartel himself however his stud fee has come down some since he died. It is $20,000 now. Get a subscription to BARREL HORSE NEWS. It's about $25 a year. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2022-05-15 8:55 AM

Expert

I think Frenchman's Guy was in about a third of the horses at the NFR this last year. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2022-05-15 12:48 PM

Take a Picture

I needed to go back and add something that everyone needs to remember. Any horse gets 50  % or half it's genetic material from each parent. They get 25% from each grandparent and 12.5% from each great grandparent. That is 1/8. They get 6.25% from each great great grandparent. This would have very little influence on any foal. This is true for every horse of every breed!  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
cindyt
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2022-05-16 8:24 AM

Ms Bling Bling Sleeze Kitty

I truly believe you have to find the bloodlines that suit yourself.  

I, Myself prefer to reach back 5 generations or more to find the stuff I like.  I don't care how far back it is.  If they had those lines preserved like everything is now it would be so amazing.   Looking at stallions so many of them have the same bloodlines it's almost depressing.  

Find your lines, find what lines you get along with, not everyone can ride those gritty rodeo winners (I am honestly not sure I can) so find the mind, confirmation and heart... Mine tend not to be the latest and greatest, but the tried and true from yester years...  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
sappleby
Reg. May 2022
Posted 2022-05-18 5:09 AM

boon

some of the research I was doing. Many said to add the cow bred horse to your OTTB horses. 
we have a money earner OTTB broodmare that we plan to cross with Fiestas Gotta Gun. OTTB have the speed just need the rate and conformation to go with it. Would you all agree? 

Sunfrost bred mare seem to cross well with ASOF (did this cross too

*this mare is to foal soon to on a gator. Sunfrost on DTF 

and stoli on tres seis (did this as well), currently have this cross and we decided to go back. The foal hit the ground wanting to run. She was trying to lope circles at 3 hrs old. 

what's everyone's thoughts? 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
ADCsorrel
Reg. Mar 2015
Posted 2022-05-18 10:54 AM

sappleby - 2022-05-18 4:09 AM

some of the research I was doing. Many said to add the cow bred horse to your OTTB horses. 
we have a money earner OTTB broodmare that we plan to cross with Fiestas Gotta Gun. OTTB have the speed just need the rate and conformation to go with it. Would you all agree? 

Sunfrost bred mare seem to cross well with ASOF (did this cross too

*this mare is to foal soon to on a gator. Sunfrost on DTF 

and stoli on tres seis (did this as well), currently have this cross and we decided to go back. The foal hit the ground wanting to run. She was trying to lope circles at 3 hrs old. 

what's everyone's thoughts? 

I think that was true 5+ years ago, that's what people liked. 

Now, I think you need the run all the way. There are getting to be more and more race hores make their way into barrel racing IMO. It would be tough to get a cowhorse to run a 16 on a standard, just sayin. I am one that I looove a good cowhorse cross. But at some point I know that on my perfect days there will still be a run x run that can beat me. 

I also beleive we have came further in our training and recognize how to get the running breds to work and keep working. Some may be more fragile minded but the athleticism and speed cant be beat when you get it figured out. Yes Sunfrost is a cowbred, but his most succesful outcomes are crossed on a running side.

There's a time and a place for all of them. Grateful we get to have so many opportunities and see these lineages grow and analyze the "magic crosses" . This sport is growing and there are faster times being ran than ever before, that is no accident. Horses are being bred for greatness, on proven crosses. It has taken years to develop those methods and analyze statistics. Amazing stuff genetics is!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software