Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Hooves after 3 week trim - thoughts?

Jump to page :
Last activity 2022-08-08 9:12 AM
9 replies, 633 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

txbredbr
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2022-08-03 4:10 PM
Subject: Hooves after 3 week trim - thoughts?

Half-Eaten Cookies

This mare had been trimmed/shaped often, as needed for years (which was sometimes just a shaping every 2/3 weeks). After a diet change that threw her metabolism out of whack, you can see her hooves are growing out with the ring and more flare below it.

She always grows out really forward in the toe and her bars lay over pretty quickly - she usually doesn't shed sole like these pictures, but coincidentally, after the diet change, I also changed farriers, and she is only getting trimmed every 6 weeks.  This is the 3rd round of trims and always, after 4 weeks, she looks really rough to me.  I was thinking in the past of maybe putting shoes on her, but if she grows like this, I don't want her going 6 weeks - would the shoes help or make her angles, etc worse? Maybe it is still the growth from the diet change?

Any thoughts from seeing these pics?

Fresh after 2nd trim from this farrier...

These are bottom side of both hinds right at 3 weeks...

Fronts just shy of 4 weeks...

Hinds just short of 4 weeks...

Edited by txbredbr 2022-08-03 4:15 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Txstables
Reg. Sep 2016
Posted 2022-08-04 8:25 AM
Subject: RE: Hooves after 3 week trim - thoughts?

Those are definitely very very long in the toe. I would be putting shoes on her if they are breaking and looking like that after only four weeks from a trim. He should be able to trim and shoe to help the foot grow out width ways instead of just to the front. Now it won't be an overnight change and will take quite some time to get them to grow but your farrier should be able to do that and should be able to recommend what is best for your horse. 

I personally wouldn't be riding a horse if their feet were that badly broke off. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jazz's Girl
Reg. Apr 2013
Posted 2022-08-04 9:21 AM

Extreme Veteran

I have 2 actually that I work on every 2-3 weeks because of how much toe they grow. And right now, we are so dry, their feet look rough at that point. I ended up buying a mini angle grinder to help me right now. Its a lifesaver!!!! 

The false sole needs to be taken off. Bars trimmed off and her heels are starting to run under. The hinds have alot of extra toe. To me, she does not look balanced. That first picture especially!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
txbredbr
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2022-08-04 10:30 AM

Half-Eaten Cookies

Txstables - 2022-08-04 8:25 AM

Those are definitely very very long in the toe. I would be putting shoes on her if they are breaking and looking like that after only four weeks from a trim. He should be able to trim and shoe to help the foot grow out width ways instead of just to the front. Now it won't be an overnight change and will take quite some time to get them to grow but your farrier should be able to do that and should be able to recommend what is best for your horse. 

I personally wouldn't be riding a horse if their feet were that badly broke off. 

Thank you so much for your feedback.  He had told me we can go to 5 weeks, if needed - that I can just evaluate and call him back out if I need to. I was trying to leave to 5 weeks and see what he thought, but I ended up cleaning up the walls and sole and now trying to decide what I should do next, because calling him out every 4 weeks and them already looking like that isn't the answer...

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
txbredbr
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2022-08-04 12:12 PM

Half-Eaten Cookies

Jazz's Girl - 2022-08-04 9:21 AM

I have 2 actually that I work on every 2-3 weeks because of how much toe they grow. And right now, we are so dry, their feet look rough at that point. I ended up buying a mini angle grinder to help me right now. Its a lifesaver!!!! 

The false sole needs to be taken off. Bars trimmed off and her heels are starting to run under. The hinds have alot of extra toe. To me, she does not look balanced. That first picture especially!

Thank you for your feedback.  Just trying to get different opinions - different eyes.  That's what I see - the false sole and the bars are too long and fold over the false sole.

Yes, I know it has been sooooo dry :He is from CA, now in TX.  travels across the nation and wins shoeing competitions.  Does a lot of hunter jumpers. He is $50 for trim and $180 for a full set. He says it seems TX and surrounding like to take off the toe....(so maybe I'm just used to seeing a short toe, but that's not what she needs??? I don't know)  but then he says my mare has good feet and seems to want a longer toe. I'm listening to him.....but she tends to land toe first and underrun heels and I cringe at that. It seems that when you run barrels, tighter walls is faster??? Hers flare and just break off 'cause they are in the way, and we have sandy loam ground, so they are really in the way if sandy loam is breaking them off in the field. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
streakysox
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2022-08-04 5:43 PM

Take a Picture

First of all, I think you need some HOOFLEX on them. The second thing is you can't really tell much about a showing job after 3 weeks. Horses' feet grow fast in this weather. Personall I would be concerned about taking off too much heel. I had to remind mine not to take off the heel!!!!!! Over and over. He knows now. My farrier isn't the best in the west but he does what I tell him to do. He is good at following instructions. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
SmokinBandits
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2022-08-04 8:28 PM

Having Smokin Bandits

They look really off balance to me. I'm no expert but I see long toes and underrun heels. (That's a big problem around here too.) I would put shoes on her if they are breaking off like that. 6 weeks between shoeings is the norm unless there is a founder issue. The shoes will protect her hoof wall while the farrier gradually gets her angles where they should be. I would also paint something on her feet every single day to try to get some moisture and elasticity in there. 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
teamthompson
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2022-08-05 7:36 AM

Extreme Veteran

I live here in TX down on coast rice farming country, so we have that sticky black gumbo mud and right now we have cracks so big u can break a leg off in there.  But what i have found to work best is a straight BIOTIN and VITAMIN E supplements.  I buy both mine off of amazon so its comes straight to the house. 

Biotin 100 powder is by Animed and is $25 for a 5lb bucket (now my scoop i use is much bigger than what they provided i believe its 70cc) the Vit E is Health-E Maximum Strength 16KU and i believe its by Equine Med Surg its a 60 day bucket for $80.

My 4yo has 4 white feet and she is a hot texas mess (hahahaha) her feet a hard as concrete, my other mare came from way up north and yes i had some problems with her feet but now samething hard as concrete.

Hope this helps - good luck 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
txbredbr
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2022-08-08 8:27 AM

Half-Eaten Cookies

teamthompson - 2022-08-05 7:36 AM

I live here in TX down on coast rice farming country, so we have that sticky black gumbo mud and right now we have cracks so big u can break a leg off in there.  But what i have found to work best is a straight BIOTIN and VITAMIN E supplements.  I buy both mine off of amazon so its comes straight to the house. 

Biotin 100 powder is by Animed and is $25 for a 5lb bucket (now my scoop i use is much bigger than what they provided i believe its 70cc) the Vit E is Health-E Maximum Strength 16KU and i believe its by Equine Med Surg its a 60 day bucket for $80.

My 4yo has 4 white feet and she is a hot texas mess (hahahaha) her feet a hard as concrete, my other mare came from way up north and yes i had some problems with her feet but now samething hard as concrete.

Hope this helps - good luck 

Thank you - great info you vitamins that work for you!!

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
txbredbr
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2022-08-08 9:12 AM

Half-Eaten Cookies

SmokinBandits - 2022-08-04 8:28 PM

They look really off balance to me. I'm no expert but I see long toes and underrun heels. (That's a big problem around here too.) I would put shoes on her if they are breaking off like that. 6 weeks between shoeings is the norm unless there is a founder issue. The shoes will protect her hoof wall while the farrier gradually gets her angles where they should be. I would also paint something on her feet every single day to try to get some moisture and elasticity in there. 

Thank you   - I will starting putting something on them to help with the extreme heat and dry temp differences this year! and thanks for the other thoughts on how they look - it helps getting others thoughts other than myself who sees something evolve daily. :)

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software