Come on in Folks on-line

Today is

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.

Total Equine

Jump to page :
Last activity 2022-09-26 7:22 AM
7 replies, 439 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Barrel Talk
Refresh

wfhill
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2022-09-21 5:17 PM
Subject: Total Equine

boon

I just switched my 16hh paint gelding over to TE and he's losing weight fast. He was on Nutrena Perform feed but feed store has been out of it a lot. I used to use Total equine on my barrel racing mare and she looked good but he needs his top line filled back out as his withers are pointy again and he's sunk in. Have any of you had this situation and what is your opinion on this feed? It used to be the going thing but doesn't appear to be anymore. I would love some feedback.

Edited by wfhill 2022-09-21 5:18 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
FLITASTIC
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2022-09-21 5:31 PM
Subject: RE: Total Equine

Expert

wfhill - 2022-09-21 3:17 PM

I just switched my 16hh paint gelding over to TE and he's losing weight fast. He was on Nutrena Perform feed but feed store has been out of it a lot. I used to use Total equine on my barrel racing mare and she looked good but he needs his top line filled back out as his withers are pointy again and he's sunk in. Have any of you had this situation and what is your opinion on this feed? It used to be the going thing but doesn't appear to be anymore. I would love some feedback.

There is an old saying about that feed , " Total Decline" . I've never fed it but I know a lot of people who have who had the same results as you  

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
IAcowgirl
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2022-09-22 9:21 AM

Elite Veteran

I have fed Total Equine for years and have never had any problems with horses loosing weight.  Have fed to easy keepers, brood mares and babies, growing babies and horses getting worked or shown.  The amount of feed given is determined by the horses needs.   I actually have had horses decrease their hay intake due to feed.  The best thing about this feed is that you can feed to the horses needs and never need to worry about the horses getting hot.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
wfhill
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2022-09-22 11:06 AM

boon

I just don't know if it is going to work for my horse. He's really chowing down still on his hay, lol. I'm sure it takes time.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Southtxponygirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2022-09-22 11:20 AM

A Somebody to Everybody

Have you checked with Chewy and see if maybe they carry this feed that you were useing? 

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
GLP
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2022-09-22 3:19 PM

I just read the headlines

Yep, same thing happened with my gelding. He totally fell apart. Talked to the guy who is advertised as the one who came up with the formula and he was absolutely no help at all. My colts looked great on it but it wrecked my 7 year old gelding's digestive system. I put him on a foreage only diet and he slowly came around, including his top line. 

Edited by GLP 2022-09-22 3:21 PM
↑ Top ↓ Bottom
getacheck
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2022-09-24 11:34 AM

Elite Veteran

Tried it for 6 months several years back on three horses, they ALL was dropping weight and I was feeding more than the recommended amount.  Distributor call TE and they recommended I add corn oil to the ration.  Decided if I have to add corn oil to the feed, plus keeping hay in front of them just to maintain a weight, didn't need to feed it any longer.  Switched feed and have never looked back, except to regret the amount of money I spent.

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
teamthompson
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2022-09-26 7:22 AM

Extreme Veteran

and i agree with Flitatstic - total decline - never heard anything good - sorry 

maybe try a "forage" diet - alfafa based whether it be cubes or pellets and then add a fat (purina amplify)

commerical grains have soy as the main ingredient and its horrible for horses guts and joints

the sorrel is my 4yo, palomino is my 7yo (she was in bad shape when i got her)

i have transformed many horses on this diet - now i realize there are several ways to skin a cat BUT this has never let me down yet, will try to post some pics before and after.

The grey was a 3yo very skinny

The bay was a 3yo playgun filly

The palamino is now 7yo she was super skinny and sick and no tail - chewed off

The sorrel is a baby i bred and foaled out raised on only cubes - yearling pic

The last sorrel pic is my 4yo now - got her as a long yearling she was super skinny

↑ Top ↓ Bottom
Jump to page :
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

© Copyright 2002- BarrelHorseWorld.com All rights reserved including digital rights

Support - Contact / Log in to my account

Working Truck World Working Horse World Cargo Trailer World Horse Trailer World Roping Horse World
'
Registered to: Barrel Horse World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software